Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  34

Thread: Crazy Electrical Issue ~ 2011 RAM 2500

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Crazy Electrical Issue ~ 2011 RAM 2500

Walk out to my truck about noon today and the key fob wont unlock the door. I open it with the real key.

I get in my truck to start it, nothing. No door chime, no dash lights, no radio, no head lights, no fan motor, etc, etc. Batteries are about 3 years old, so I thought maybe they just quit. I hooked up a changer and went back in the house for about an hour. Battery charger showed only about a 35% charge. I opened the door, put the fob in and turned it to the on position.....nothing at all. Zero power anywhere. I have a front light bar thats wired to a fused power block directly to the battery. I flip it on and it's working. I push the dome lights and they work, the rear cargo light will work and the power seat will work. Everything else is completely dead.

I figured it had to be the batteries so I pulled both and heading to O'Reillys. They test both batteries and they are good. I come back home, set the batteries back in the truck and just set 1 side of the cables on the battery. As soon as I do, I hear the door chime start dinging. I walk around and turn the key to the on position.....dash lights up, goes thru the check phase, radio is on, fan motor is on.

I turn the key off, install cables on both batteries. Lock the truck with the key fob and hit the auto start. It fires right up. I kill it with the key fob. Crawl inside and start it like normal. Zero issues, no CEL, no codes.....just like nothing happened. Took it for a ride, came back. Started it several more times without any issues. Hooked up my trailer and I'm headed to the lease in the morning to check corn levels and do some hog control.

Hope I don't have any issues like that again.

Anybody ever had this problem?

TIA!

2. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Crazy Electrical Issue ~ 2011 RAM 2500

It could be that your battery connections weren’t making good contact with the battery posts.

Hopefully, it doesn’t give you any more issues.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Strange, it sounds like the batteries got low on charge, and the truck didn’t like the low voltage.

When you disconnected the batteries and let the truck sit, it must have reset the TIPM module.

When you installed the original batteries with more charge, all was good.

I would recommend doing a parasitic draw test to ensure you don’t have something draining the batteries.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

RAMS is known for battery connection issues, as I just fixed it on my son's 03.

The clamps lose their clamping force as one minute they are tight, then they are loose.

I used shims on his, and I have had the issue on several trucks.

I didn't know how common it was until I talked to my diesel mechanic.

He said he sees it all the time on rams or dodge.

Once it starts, it gets worse over time.

New clamps or shimming are the best bet.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Outdoornut; 04-02-2022 at 11:24 AM. Reason: spelling
    2017 Laramie Longhorn 2500 Mega Cab
    2003 SLT with a Smarty Tuner, Sinister Intake elbow, S&B Cold air intake
    2008 Harley Davidson Custom Built Electraglide
    2017 Jeep Rubicon 35 12.50 20 on Fuel Wheels, Locking front and rear diffs, disconnecting sway bar, 4 door hard top

8. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Any update?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

RAM is also known for TIPM issues (totally integrated power module, located under your engine room main fuse block), this is also known as a gateway computer or power control module.

I am chasing the same problem now. All of a sudden, I have no operation of anything in the doors, ie power mirrors, windows or door locks. But I could operate the rear windows and all locks worked with remote.

I have at one time, gotten no cluster, dead, nothing, but truck always started and ran. I got communications codes, ie no comms to drivers door module, them another time, no comms to pass door module or pass side cant comm with drivers side, but always get the gateway code at the same time.

Check networks wiring after purchasing a subscription to Mitchell manuals for wiring diagrams, CAN H was good, CAN L was good, no shorts to each other, voltage or ground. My trouble is on the IHS CAN network or "interior high speed"

Common issues on these trucks is the TIPM module, I have already ordered a new one, (reman from Mopar) and wont get it till late April.

There was also lots of recalls for TIPM modules. Look up to see if you have an open recall at NHTSA RECALL page and enter your VIN

Poor battery connections and low batteries will also do this.

Check basics first, duckduckgo the TIPM troubles. I dont goo*gle anything anymore.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

12. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I had the truck stored at my cousins after I first bought it, and he didn't drive it regularly (like I asked), and it killed the batteries.

So I went big and put Odyssey batteries in it and bought a good charger, and he again screwed that up.

So now fast forward nearly four years later, and I have one Odyssey battery that does not like holding a charge, so I am putting batteries in it again.

Interestingly, it has been the same battery that dies, the driver's side battery.

The passenger battery has been fine both times, but I replace them in pairs.

I have learned how to keep my truck on a battery charger.

It commonly sits without use for up to a few weeks.

After two weeks, it might not start and gives similar symptoms as the original post.

These RAMs have key-off systems that create a higher amp draw when the truck is turned off compared to a usual passenger vehicle.

I can leave my Firehawk parked for a month (or longer) and not have an issue starting it.

My Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, granite crystal metallic/tan interior, CCLB SRW 4x4, 68RFE, 6.7 Cummins, rear air, 5th wheel pkg. MODS: MM3 w/tunes, EGR delete, ITC grid heater delete, GDP airhorn, GDP heater, ARP 625 head studs, FloPro 5", REVMAX billet VB, Synergy steering, Thuren .5" lift/sway, Fox remote res shocks, Morimoto HIDs and LED fogs.
    My 5th Wheel: 2022 Grand Design 390 RK, 3 ACs, Gen Prep, too much storage ~16,000 rolling.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quick update.

I did clean the battery cables to shiny copper base metal and the lead posts as well.

Zero issues on the trip to Hondo, dragging a trailer around the lease setting up blinds and filling feeders.

It never missed a lick.

This coming weekend, I will remove all the battery cable connections and clean any corrosion I can find.

I have a dashcam that runs 24/7, but I had driven my truck the evening before this mishap, so I don't think that's the culprit.

I'm gonna check out the TIPM as noted above.

Nothing worse than not having faith in your vehicle.

Hopefully, it was just the battery connections.

Thanks for the tips, I'll update as needed.

16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Been a while, but the truck hasn't had a hiccup since.

I did get rid of the full-time camera; maybe that extended amp draw had something to do with it.

IDK.

It still runs the same batteries as well.