Thanks Thanks:  87
Likes Likes:  231
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BD Iron Horn Vs 2nd Gen Swap?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

BD Iron Horn Vs 2nd Gen Swap?

My current setup is a 2014 CCSB 68RFE 6.7, deleted with DRD tunes, S&B intake, DDP 50 HP injectors.

I don't currently tow.

After putting together many different build lists, I have decided to go a more modest route.

Initially, I thought something along the lines of a larger, single S400, a set of BBI injectors, dual CP3, built trans, ARP 625s, the whole nine.

I am looking to get into the 800 HP range.

However, the juice isn't looking like it's worth the twenty thousand dollar squeeze on a truck that already has 160k miles on it.

I'm between a BD iron horn S36SXE4/80/1.00 or a Second-Gen swap with an S400.

I'm also going to be a FASS 100g as the stock one can't keep up with any tune with more than a 30hp duration and otherwise leave the fuel.

I want to take advantage of my mild fuel upgrades, but I also don't want to milk it for all its worth with ridiculous timing and duration.

Is there a point in going with a 2nd Gen manifold over the BD?

Will anything over an S464 make much of a difference with the level of fuel I have?

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: BD Iron Horn Vs 2nd Gen Swap?

What's your new power goal?

Even with mild fuel upgrades, I'd go with the 2G swap w/ a 467.

The 364sxe on the Iron Horn is a mild fixed vein stock upgrade from VGT for stock fuel and towing.

You could at least look into a 366 or 369 on the Iron Horn if you want more power but still save some money.

They have a pretty good graphic on fuel/power on different sized 3xxSXE turbos to take a look at as well.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BuckMeister View Post
    My current setup is a 2014 CCSB 68RFE 6.7, deleted with DRD tunes, S&B intake, DDP 50 HP injectors.

I don't currently tow.

After putting together many different build lists, I have decided to go a more modest route.

Initially, I thought something along the lines of a larger, single S400, a set of BBI injectors, dual CP3, built trans, ARP 625s, the whole nine.

I am looking to get into the 800 HP range.

However, the juice isn't looking like it's worth the twenty thousand dollar squeeze on a truck that already has 160k miles on it.

I'm between a BD iron horn S36SXE4/80/1.00 or a Second-Gen swap with an S400.

I'm also going to be a FASS 100g as the stock one can't keep up with any tune with more than a 30hp duration and otherwise leave the fuel.

I want to take advantage of my mild fuel upgrades, but I also don't want to milk it for all its worth with ridiculous timing and duration.

Is there a point in going with a 2nd Gen manifold over the BD?

Will anything over an S464 make much of a difference with the level of fuel I have?
    A 3rd Gen swap won't get you to 800.

It will be an excellent base for compounds if you are interested in making bigger power down the road.

The 364SXE is about a 650hp turbo.

That is the largest I would recommend if you want to go compounds (add a turbo kit) at some point.

That turbo would compliment your current fueling well or even with a 366SXE.

If you want about a 700hp rig, you could run a 3rd gen swap with 369SXE.

The main difference between the 2nd and 3rd Gen swap is the ability to put the S400 frame turbo on the 2nd Gen swap.

You only can clear an S300 series on a 3rd Gen swap.

If you were to throw an S300 on the 2nd Gen manifold vs. 3rd gen manifold, your egt, drive pressure, and boost number would be similar.

We sell a bunch of both of the 3rd gen kits is much more affordable since they use factory downpipe, airbox, intercooler boot, oil drain, oil feed, and manifold studs.

As a side note, I run the 364 iron horn on my 2013 (stock fueling) and love it!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6.7 Coal Train View Post
    What's your new power goal?

Even with mild fuel upgrades, I'd go with the 2G swap w/ a 467.

The 364sxe on the Iron Horn is a mild fixed vein stock upgrade from VGT for stock fuel and towing.

You could at least look into a 366 or 369 on the Iron Horn if you want more power but still save some money.

They have a pretty good graphic on fuel/power on different sized 3xxSXE turbos to take a look at as well.
    The new power goal is 600ish; I misspoke.

The 800hp figure was when I entertained a more significant single and much more fuel.

I'm open to a 2G S400 swap, that seems to be the outgoing advice in most places; it just doesn't seem to be getting you a lot for the money vs. a stock location S300 swap.

Anyways, I ended up ordering an Air Dog 165 w/a sump kit.

Going to be ordering studs, grid heater delete, fuel filter delete soon.

Still undecided on the turbo I want to go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    A 3rd Gen swap won't get you to 800.

It will be an excellent base for compounds if you are interested in making bigger power down the road.

The 364SXE is about a 650hp turbo.

That is the largest I would recommend if you want to go compounds (add a turbo kit) at some point.

That turbo would compliment your current fueling well or even with a 366SXE.

If you want about a 700hp rig, you could run a 3rd gen swap with 369SXE.

The main difference between the 2nd and 3rd Gen swap is the ability to put the S400 frame turbo on the 2nd Gen swap.

You only can clear an S300 series on a 3rd Gen swap.

If you were to throw an S300 on the 2nd Gen manifold vs. 3rd gen manifold, your egt, drive pressure, and boost number would be similar.

We sell a bunch of both of the 3rd gen kits is much more affordable since they use factory downpipe, airbox, intercooler boot, oil drain, oil feed, and manifold studs.

As a side note, I run the 364 iron horn on my 2013 (stock fueling) and love it!
    Thanks for the reply.

I poorly worded my OP, 800hp was what was in my mind when I was considering fuel upgrades.

Besides a lift pump (just ordered an Air Dog 165), I'm going to keep the fuel as is.

A compound kit (S400/stock or S400/S300) has been in the back of my head for a while now but I'm really not looking into getting into the bottom end in the near future.

So if I potentially wanted to go with compounds at some point a 2G S364 would be a good place to start?

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

The new power goal is 600ish; I misspoke.

The 800hp figure was when I entertained a more significant single and much more fuel.

I'm open to a 2G S400 swap, that seems to be the outgoing advice in most places; it just doesn't seem to be getting you a lot for the money vs. a stock location S300 swap.

Anyways, I ended up ordering an Air Dog 165 w/a sump kit.

Going to be ordering studs, grid heater delete, fuel filter delete soon.

Still undecided on the turbo I want to go with.

When I told Ray I wanted ~650hp on mild fuel - he recommended a 366SXE for what it's worth.

(I didn't end up getting anything at the time so no real world experience).

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply.

I poorly worded my OP, 800hp was what was in my mind when I was considering fuel upgrades.

Besides a lift pump (just ordered an Air Dog 165), I'm going to keep the fuel as is.

A compound kit (S400/stock or S400/S300) has been in the back of my head for a while now but I'm really not looking into getting into the bottom end in the near future.

So if I potentially wanted to go with compounds at some point a 2G S364 would be a good place to start?

You could go with a 2G kit if you wanted.

If you are wanting some upgraded options like Steed Speed manifold etc then 2G kit will be the way to go.

If you go with a 3G kit S364 and then you can put a Pusher Add a Turbo or similar over the top (this is my current plan).

3G is much cheaper than 2G kit (about $1900 all in).

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I'm leaning towards the 3G.

I'm thinking of an Iron with the S366, but not sure about the AR yet.

I don't see myself spending the money I'd need to support a large S400 frame single or on a compound.

So far, I've ordered:
    -Air Dog 165 with Beans sump kit
    -ARP 2000 head studs
    -Fleece fuel filter delete

For the rest I'm thinking:
    -IH s366sxe
    -WC fab intake
    -New exhaust manifold bolts, probably BD
    -Fleece coolant bypass
    -Fleece grid heater delete
    -Pusher intake system

Open to suggestions if there are better alternatives.

I may add an inline brake down the road.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

You won't be disappointed with a 2G swap.

I was hanging on the cliff with so many opinions i was hearing.

Your build you're working on is similar to mine, which hints at why I'm chiming in.

I don't tow currently either, and I went with the 60hp dragonfly in.

If i went bigger II said ill probably.

Start over spooling the S464.

Down the road, I'll go with a bigger single or twins.

I have been trying to save for a transmission.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

My experience with my 2g s465 1.10 ar t6. stock fuel with a fleece powerflo plus a low stall converter; the trucks have been awesome for 2 years with that setup.

The drag time calculators are not the most accurate thing but according to them and the mph to weight and et, it's making over 600 on stock fuel with a little meth.

I plan on dynoing it this summer.

My friend has 2g S366SXE 1.0 on his 6.7L, and it feels good.

if you want some extra power and cooling with the setup, you choose you could go with a methanol kit.

2014 ram slt. 6.8L, s472, ddp supermental 150%'s, 12mm CP3, fleece powerflo, stage 2 d&j head, revmax 700,

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast