Thanks Thanks:  28
Likes Likes:  86
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Factory Brake Controller Q's

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2010 Factory Brake Controller Q's

OK, for those with the factory OE brake controller, including those who added it and have the body software updated to allow EVIC settings, I have a few questions.

Do you have different power level settings? I don't mean the typical 0-10 brake control power; I speak of the single axle, tandem axle, etc.?

I have added the factory controller, and it works fine, just no EVIC communications (haven't done the software upgrade), and the controller does everything else. But I have no other settings for type of trailer and number of axles.

So if there are no other settings aside from the 0-10 power level, I see no reason to do the software upgrade. But this controller feels too aggressive on my 7X16 tandem axle enclosed trailer, and I wonder if it is because I can't adjust it without the EVIC part?

Thanks, I think this would be the same for 2011 and probably 2012 guys, too, and 2009 1500s.

Thanks

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2010 Factory Brake Controller Q's

Certainly, someone in here who has a 10-12 RAM with the factory brake controller can answer my simple question. [biden voice on] come on man [/bidenvoiceoff]

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I don’t know about 2010, but on my 2021, I do not have # of axles as a choice, heavy electric, electric, electric over hydraulic, I believe that’s it.

I save trailers for my settings for each, although those change with loads hauled.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I have a 12, and the options are heavy/light electric or heavy/light electric over hyd.

When I pull a small enclosed with tandems, I know I have to turn it down to about two, or it will lock it up.

When I pull my camper, 15k lbs, I have to turn it up to 8 for obvious reasons.

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JDC View Post
    I have a 12, and the options are heavy/light electric or heavy/light electric over hyd.

When I pull a small enclosed with tandems, I know I have to turn it down to about two, or it will lock it up.

You mention heavy/light electric, is that one choice, or does it read heavy electric and light electric? i.e., 2 choices on the electric?

Thanks for the reply; I suppose I could have looked in my owner's manual too, but who knows where that's at?

I got it somewhere.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

It's two different options.

Heavy Electric or Light Electric.

Mine always stays on Heavy; that probably explains why I have to turn it down so much with the lighter trailer.

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I have never even used light electric, skipped right past it.

Don’t know exactly when I’d use such a setting.

I have smoked the trailer tires on heavy electric over hydraulic pulling my 5er.

Darn flagman turned the sign around on me in a construction zone.

Those brand new trailer tires have some new flat spots.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JDC View Post

What are your feelings about the factory controller?

Lots of people complained about it.

I did install one in my truck and have not uploaded the sales code into the body module to make it work fully.

I added a blue tooth module, too, and will do both simultaneously, but I worried because so many complained about the factory controller.

I like the neater look or installation.

Running a Tekonsha Prodigy now

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I like it, especially being integrated into the truck.

I had a nice add-on unit in my last truck, it worked well, but it still was touchy and didn't feel right.

I haven't had any trouble in 113k miles, so I'm happy.

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

JDC, what year was your truck?

It seems they improved on later ones.

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast