Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: EGT Probe Install

1. Top Of Page | #1

EGT Probe Install

I installed my EGT probe a couple of weekends ago.

The temps were not significantly higher than what I was reading before on the factory post turbo probe.

I looked at it last night and noticed that I might not have installed the probe with the tip deep enough (plenty of jokes there for sure) to get accurate readings.

Do I need to loosen this and install it deeper?

There is about 1" of the distance between the end of the fitting and the 90 bends for reference.

I would have already tried it, but I am assuming the ferrule is one-time use and would need to be replaced if I loosen it?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Attached Images Attached Images
    John 16:33

2018 2500 Tradesman CTD Maximum Steel CC 4X4 - Thuren 2" with Fox, Barricade front bumper with Rigid D fogs, 20x9 +18 Mayhem Rampage, 275/65r20 Conti A/Ts, OEM projectors w/HIDs, OEM LED tails, nFab steps, BakFlip G2, Pioneer head w/ kicker speakers

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: EGT Probe Install

I would try loosening the probe nut and see if you can go down another 1/2”.

The ferrule should seal okay; the problem you may run into is the ferrule is compressed on the probe and won’t allow it to move.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks MontanaFlyFisher, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    I would try loosening the probe nut and see if you can go down another 1/2".

The ferrule should seal okay; the problem you may run into is the ferrule is compressed on the probe and won't allow it to move.
    Thanks for the advice, Bob.

I'll give that a shot tonight.

2018 2500 Tradesman CTD Maximum Steel CC 4X4 - Thuren 2" with Fox, Barricade front bumper with Rigid D fogs, 20x9 +18 Mayhem Rampage, 275/65r20 Conti A/Ts, OEM projectors w/HIDs, OEM LED tails, nFab steps, BakFlip G2, Pioneer head w/ kicker speakers

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

Well, you called it.

I couldn’t get that ferrule to budge.

I ended up ordering a replacement ferrule and will cut the old one off.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    I would try loosening the probe nut and see if you can go down another 1/2”.

The ferrule should seal okay; the problem you may run into is the ferrule is compressed on the probe and won’t allow it to move.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post