Thanks Thanks:  35
Likes Likes:  70
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Towing; Numbers Versus Reality - Looking For Experience

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Towing; Numbers Versus Reality - Looking For Experience

For what people are getting $$$ on used trucks right now, you might want to investigate if you could sell/trade your SRW for a DRW (even a brand new one) if you're worried about it.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6.7 Coal Train View Post
    For what people are getting $$$ on used trucks right now, you might want to investigate if you could sell/trade your SRW for a DRW (even a brand new one) if you're worried about it.
    The wife and I have discussed this at length.

We both know a dually is in our future, but I can't afford to sit on one truck to sell it while we buy another, and we cant sell our SRW and then hope we can find a DRW truck in short order.

We are currently full-time in our trailer, and we have to move it every two weeks or less at our current campground.

Plus, I just invested a lot of time and money into my current ride, and finding this same setup in DRW is proving hard.

We love the tan interior of our current truck, and I want to retain the CCLB chassis, so those are both must-haves.

I also consider factory rear air to be a must-have.

My SRW is exceptionally well-optioned from the factory, and I wouldn't want anything less.

There are a lot of mega-cab and short bed DRW trucks that I am not interested in and several black interior trucks that would fit the bill, but again, those are nonstarters for us.

We might wind up ordering a new truck in a few years to get exactly what we want.

My Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, granite crystal metallic/tan interior, CCLB SRW 4x4, 68RFE, 6.7 Cummins, rear air, 5th wheel pkg. MODS: MM3 w/tunes, EGR delete, ITC grid heater delete, GDP airhorn, GDP heater, ARP 625 head studs, FloPro 5", REVMAX billet VB, Synergy steering, Thuren .5" lift/sway, Fox remote res shocks, Morimoto HIDs and LED fogs.
    My 5th Wheel: 2022 Grand Design 390 RK, 3 ACs, Gen Prep, too much storage ~16,000 rolling.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Schoolbus View Post
    The wife and I have discussed this at length.

We both know a dually is in our future, but I can't afford to sit on one truck to sell it while we buy another, and we cant sell our SRW and then hope we can find a DRW truck in short order.

We are currently full-time in our trailer, and we have to move it every two weeks or less at our current campground.

Plus, I just invested a lot of time and money into my current ride, and finding this same setup in DRW is proving hard.

We love the tan interior of our current truck, and I want to retain the CCLB chassis, so those are both must-haves.

I also consider factory rear air to be a must-have.

My SRW is exceptionally well-optioned from the factory, and I wouldn't want anything less.

There are a lot of mega-cab and short bed DRW trucks that I am not interested in and several black interior trucks that would fit the bill, but again, those are nonstarters for us.

We might wind up ordering a new truck in a few years to get exactly what we want.
    You just described my truck, it was perfect for me, and I checked all the boxes, drw, factory air, max tow, tan interior.

The thing is a beast.

I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I can't even get some of its options these days. Keep looking; hopefully, the world will straighten up.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Well, it is time for some more feedback. I have just completed a fairly significant trip up to Sequioa Natl Forest and back. I have lots of feedback and I scaled the truck and trailer. Here are some legit numbers:

GVWR: 25,300 (25,200 max) (full tank and everything packed and rolling to include all occupants)
    Truck weight:
    Unladen: 8,900 (includes full tank, generator, 5 gal of gas, me, wife, dog, Superlite hitch)
    Laden: 12,060 (12,500 max)
    *No emissions stuff! (DEF tank, bracket, EGR, exhaust, grid delete, etc)*
    Rear axle weight:
    Unladen: 3,260
    Loaded: 6,880
    Trailer: 2022 Grand Design 390RK, 41', 5" long
    Trailer weight: 16,500 (16,800 max) (Propane tanks full, 5 gal propane tank, fire pit, grill, mtn bikes, and baggage compartments barely used)
    *We took a lot of stuff out like canned goods, glass items, pots/pans, clothes, etc)
    Pin weight: 3,250 which is about 20.5% on the truck.
    Trailer Brake setup: Heavy electric
    Gain heading up: 8.0 worked well and was appreciated during a panic stop that locked up the front tires briefly. But, they were very grabby and annoying in stop-n-go traffic and city areas.
    Gain heading back: 7.0 worked better and were less grabby and annoying. Might bump it down to 6.5 next trip.
    MM3 Setting:
    Heading up: 30 HP setting. It was kind of a dog and really struggled up grades. It was fine on the flats and downhill. The EGT was in and out so I dont have feedback under all situations. It hit a high of 1,100 up grades.
    Heading back: 60 HP setting. We took a different route and hit some traffic. It was much better on the grades and accelerated with more confidence. Again, the EGT was in and out. On one particular climb it hit 1,194 degrees but was stable until it quit working.
    Fuel mileage: 9.5 hand calculated (EVIC 10.5). This was less than we expected, but we had a lot of grades, traffic, winds, and idle time that contributed to this.

Feedback in several areas:
    -Overall driving experience
    : I found it to be quite manageable. I set the cruise on 67 mph (when I could) and locked out 6th. We took the 5 north through LA traffic which turned a 5 hour trip into a 7+ hour trip. The trailer brakes were pretty grabby in traffic and I did have one panic stop where my wife and I were crapping our pants since we had no where to go, but the truck hauled us to a near halt with distance to spare from 60ish. The truck struggled up grades but still maintained speed up hill after a downshift or two. The transmission shifted more promptly but had multiple occasions of bang shifts in 3-4 and a few 2-3. On the way back we took some back roads and skirted the bigger mountain range and headed out into the desert area and took the 15 back. I tried to use 6th for a bit. The truck would hold the gear with the Billet plate and tune, but it hunted on any inclines so I locked out 6th. Out here we experienced 25-30 mph sustained winds with gusts up to 35 mph from our immediate right (90* from the truck). The truck was busy but I never felt unsafe. The biggest wind effects were passing semis, underpasses, or terrain that blocked the wind and then got hit by the gust on the other side. They required more correction and certainly felt less comfortable. The truck ran better on the 60 hp setting overall but I would caution folks on using this while pulling up grades (where it was the biggest benefit).

We really managed our loading on the truck and trailer and found we didnt need anything we left behind. We just stuffed it all in my Fusion and the wife's Grand Cherokee. As you can see by the numbers, we got lucky and were at the max for everything. I dont know that we can take much more out unless we start sacrificing a few things. Next steps are a regear to 4.10 gears and a step up to a 295/70R18 to gain some leeway in our reality numbers (not our sticker numbers). Hopefully with that we can pull on the 60 hp setting and use 6th while being able to get this beast moving easier.

My truck was well matched for out GD 315 RLTS which was nearly 38' bumper pull that was about 12,000 rolling. My truck pulled that with ease and I could even use 6th and pull at 75 without too much concern.

Morale of the story is, if you are buying a big 5th buy a dually and be safe.

My Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, granite crystal metallic/tan interior, CCLB SRW 4x4, 68RFE, 6.7 Cummins, rear air, 5th wheel pkg. MODS: MM3 w/tunes, EGR delete, ITC grid heater delete, GDP airhorn, GDP heater, ARP 625 head studs, FloPro 5", REVMAX billet VB, Synergy steering, Thuren .5" lift/sway, Fox remote res shocks, Morimoto HIDs and LED fogs.
    My 5th Wheel: 2022 Grand Design 390 RK, 3 ACs, Gen Prep, too much storage ~16,000 rolling.

8. Thanks watersupply189, CrazyTrain, AK Bob, Power247 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Great detail.

Great info.

Thanks.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Towing; Numbers Versus Reality - Looking For Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Schoolbus View Post
    Well, it is time for some more feedback. I have just completed a fairly significant trip up to Sequioa Natl Forest and back. I have lots of feedback and I scaled the truck and trailer. Here are some legit numbers:

GVWR: 25,300 (25,200 max) (full tank and everything packed and rolling to include all occupants)
    Truck weight:
    Unladen: 8,900 (includes full tank, generator, 5 gal of gas, me, wife, dog, Superlite hitch)
    Laden: 12,060 (12,500 max)
    *No emissions stuff! (DEF tank, bracket, EGR, exhaust, grid delete, etc)*
    Rear axle weight:
    Unladen: 3,260
    Loaded: 6,880
    Trailer: 2022 Grand Design 390RK, 41', 5" long
    Trailer weight: 16,500 (16,800 max) (Propane tanks full, 5 gal propane tank, fire pit, grill, mtn bikes, and baggage compartments barely used)
    *We took a lot of stuff out like canned goods, glass items, pots/pans, clothes, etc)
    Pin weight: 3,250 which is about 20.5% on the truck.
    Trailer Brake setup: Heavy electric
    Gain heading up: 8.0 worked well and was appreciated during a panic stop that locked up the front tires briefly. But, they were very grabby and annoying in stop-n-go traffic and city areas.
    Gain heading back: 7.0 worked better and were less grabby and annoying. Might bump it down to 6.5 next trip.
    MM3 Setting:
    Heading up: 30 HP setting. It was kind of a dog and really struggled up grades. It was fine on the flats and downhill. The EGT was in and out so I dont have feedback under all situations. It hit a high of 1,100 up grades.
    Heading back: 60 HP setting. We took a different route and hit some traffic. It was much better on the grades and accelerated with more confidence. Again, the EGT was in and out. On one particular climb it hit 1,194 degrees but was stable until it quit working.
    Fuel mileage: 9.5 hand calculated (EVIC 10.5). This was less than we expected, but we had a lot of grades, traffic, winds, and idle time that contributed to this.

Feedback in several areas:
    -Overall driving experience
    : I found it to be quite manageable. I set the cruise on 67 mph (when I could) and locked out 6th. We took the 5 north through LA traffic which turned a 5 hour trip into a 7+ hour trip. The trailer brakes were pretty grabby in traffic and I did have one panic stop where my wife and I were crapping our pants since we had no where to go, but the truck hauled us to a near halt with distance to spare from 60ish. The truck struggled up grades but still maintained speed up hill after a downshift or two. The transmission shifted more promptly but had multiple occasions of bang shifts in 3-4 and a few 2-3. On the way back we took some back roads and skirted the bigger mountain range and headed out into the desert area and took the 15 back. I tried to use 6th for a bit. The truck would hold the gear with the Billet plate and tune, but it hunted on any inclines so I locked out 6th. Out here we experienced 25-30 mph sustained winds with gusts up to 35 mph from our immediate right (90* from the truck). The truck was busy but I never felt unsafe. The biggest wind effects were passing semis, underpasses, or terrain that blocked the wind and then got hit by the gust on the other side. They required more correction and certainly felt less comfortable. The truck ran better on the 60 hp setting overall but I would caution folks on using this while pulling up grades (where it was the biggest benefit).

We really managed our loading on the truck and trailer and found we didnt need anything we left behind. We just stuffed it all in my Fusion and the wife's Grand Cherokee. As you can see by the numbers, we got lucky and were at the max for everything. I dont know that we can take much more out unless we start sacrificing a few things. Next steps are a regear to 4.10 gears and a step up to a 295/70R18 to gain some leeway in our reality numbers (not our sticker numbers). Hopefully with that we can pull on the 60 hp setting and use 6th while being able to get this beast moving easier.

My truck was well matched for out GD 315 RLTS which was nearly 38' bumper pull that was about 12,000 rolling. My truck pulled that with ease and I could even use 6th and pull at 75 without too much concern.

The moral of the story is if you are buying a big 5th, buy a dually and be safe.
    I am also full-timing.

I have a 44’ DRV Full House toy hauler.

A quick Google search will tell you empty the trailer weighs around 20k.

Of course, after you stuff it full of all the crap you think you might need to live in it full time with your wife and a golf cart, it’s pretty easy to get it up to or over the 24,000 lb limit (three 8000 lb axles).

My dually is rated at 24k, and my hitch is rated at 24k, and the pin weight is a little over 5000 lb with everything loaded.

I can tell you, and it’s not about how quickly I can get it all moving; it’s about how fast I can stop.

Thankfully the DRV comes with hydraulic over electric disc brakes on all six wheels.

It stops better than my old 44’ Heartland loaded at 18k with the magnetic brakes.

If it were me, I’d rather spend my coin on a disc brake set up for the trailer than new gears for the truck, but then again, I am trying to stop more weight, so this might not apply to you.

Another thing I found, when towing heavy in the Rockies on long steep uphill grades in the summer heat, watch your trans temp on the 68RFE close.

When they decide to heat up, they can do it relatively quickly.

Before buying my current truck, I burned up two transmissions in 2 different 68RFE RAMS.

I’m glad everything is working out well, especially since a new truck wasn’t in the cards now.

Congratulations on your new lifestyle; it’s been a great adventure for us working & living out of the RV.

2016 3500 Laramie Mega DRW Aisin 3.73

12. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

@Skywrench I did notice the trans temps would creep up fast when in traffic and going upgrades, and it got hot a few times.

We hit an accident up a steep grade heading home, and the trans temp went to 214.

It stayed there and didn’t get any hotter, but it was at 200 several times throughout the trip.

I also noticed once the heat soaked, it stayed hot for a while.

When rolling steady, it stayed right around 170-175.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12