Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  32

Thread: 2018 Turbo Died On Me

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2018 Turbo Died On Me

Hello all, I haven't been on the forum in a while (I haven't had a reason to since my focus has been my 1989 D250 12 Valve as of late).

However, yesterday I found out the stock turbo on my 2018 2500 has died on me.

I'm only at 56K miles, so I was surprised by the turbo deciding to quit, but now I have no choice but to be in the market for a replacement.

I do not want to go back to the stock turbo or a VGT, so I wonder if anyone has any input on the best fixed-vane turbo for this truck?

I do mostly highway driving and tow every now again.

When I'm towing, it's usually a 20' flat deck trailer with another vehicle on the trailer, so I'm looking for a turbo with good street manners and towing ability.

I am not going for big power numbers.

I'm running a complete diet on the engine, Banks intercooler piping, Monster horn and grid heater delete, stock injectors, and a FASS pump with a Beans sump draw for the fuel tank.

I've also already reached out to Ray (DRD) to ask what I'll be looking at for new tunes.

So, to summarize, I want a fixed vane turbo, and I'm willing to swap the exhaust manifold if needed.

What are my best options?

Thanks!

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2018 Turbo Died On Me

I'm not sure why I missed this post; sorry for the delay.

From what I've dealt with and have improved thus far, I can and will recommend doing industrial Injection 2nd Gen swap for the price.

Comes with 100% of everything needed.

If the exhaust brake is a significant factor, you can still put an inline brake in down the road.

For outstanding all-around performance, go with the S464 great low end, and you can still get more than enough mid to upper end where this kit shines.

Couple that with Ray's tuning and nothing but smiles.

However, this kit strongly suggests head studs, but I believe Ray can still enhance the tuning down to safeguard your motor to last until more funds are available.

All personal opinions out there, just from my exp I have gone through

On the plus side, it sounds like you're on track for supporting bigger injectors when the time comes.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiffer View Post
    Hello all, I haven't been on the forum in a while (I haven't had a reason to since my focus has been my 1989 D250 12 Valve as of late).

However, yesterday I found out the stock turbo on my 2018 2500 has died on me.

I'm only at 56K miles, so I was surprised by the turbo deciding to quit, but now I have no choice but to be in the market for a replacement.

I do not want to go back to the stock turbo or a VGT, so I wonder if anyone has any input on the best fixed-vane turbo for this truck?

I do mostly highway driving and tow every now again.

When I'm towing, it's usually a 20' flat deck trailer with another vehicle on the trailer, so I'm looking for a turbo with good street manners and towing ability.

I am not going for big power numbers.

I'm running a complete diet on the engine, Banks intercooler piping, Monster horn and grid heater delete, stock injectors, and a FASS pump with a Beans sump draw for the fuel tank.

I've also already reached out to Ray (DRD) to ask what I'll be looking at for new tunes.

So, to summarize, I want a fixed vane turbo, and I'm willing to swap the exhaust manifold if needed.

What are my best options?

Thanks!
    BD Iron Horn Kit is the best bang for the buck fixed vein kit.

The 364.5 kits are the most popular as they work very well.

https://ddpmotorsports.com/search.ht...s+bd+iron+horn

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Stainless Diesel - S467.7 6 blade billet 360 degree thrust bearing, 1.0 housing with race cover, getting the turbo cover (v band intake inlet) powder coated gloss black and the middle / exauhst housings ceramic coated black, i may just bolt this on the wall with the steed speed.

I’m building my own swap - utilizing the banks enclosed box - wcfab down pipe/spacer plate mls gaskets- full send diesel hot pipe.

Banks intercooler out to banks cold pipe and banks gloss black intake horn with custom welded bung for bd x flow grid heater, mixture of vibrant/fleece and full send diesel an fittings.

Not to brag or anything, oh and powder coated v bands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Mines a 2018 also 125,000 miles stock turbo is still fine, but I always use the exhaust brake, so I think it cleans the vanes, Im pretty excited to see how it sounds.

If we're going to buy a kit, I would most likely go with Evil Fab, go 467 and throw some injectors in it and have ray work his magic.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

How did you end up with a 467.7/1.0 on stock fuel, when looking to tow and not interested in big power?

Seems a little odd.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post