Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  42

Thread: Is Leaving The Full Exhaust Brake On Ok For My Pickup?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Is Leaving The Full Exhaust Brake On Ok For My Pickup?

I’ve got a deleted 5th gen and leave the exhaust brake on full around the clock.

Living in a hilly area helps slow me down without having to burn up my brakes, and who doesn’t love that whistle.

So my question is, Is this putting wear and tear on my turbo or other parts of my truck, leaving it on constantly?

I’ve seen people say it’s good to leave it on auto as the backpressure can make sure nothing clogs up, but that was for a non deleted Cummins.

Others say they leave it on for the sound.

I can’t find a straight answer in the deleted community.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Is Leaving The Full Exhaust Brake On Ok For My Pickup?

Leave it on; you are fine.

I don't think it matters deleted or not.

Turbo does the same job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--Work gives you meaning and purpose, Life is empty without it--

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

It doesn’t hurt to leave it on.

It keeps the vanes cleaned and working without gumming up.

I have almost 100k miles on mine, and my original brake pads are not even to the halfway point yet.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

If anything, it's recommended and beneficial to keep the actuator moving.

Keep her on!

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

When I first deleted it, I never remembered to run it on.

Once I figured it out, there was a slight pause or slowness to the turbo's response when the exhaust brake engaged.

After a few days of driving with the exhaust brake on, it became very responsive, and I could tell the difference.

Since then, I never turned it off and I love the downhill brake assist.

Keeps my high-dollar EBC orange stuff pads around longer.

My Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, granite crystal metallic/tan interior, CCLB SRW 4x4, 68RFE, 6.7 Cummins, rear air, 5th wheel pkg. MODS: MM3 w/tunes, EGR delete, ITC grid heater delete, GDP airhorn, GDP heater, ARP 625 head studs, FloPro 5", REVMAX billet VB, Synergy steering, Thuren .5" lift/sway, Fox remote res shocks, Morimoto HIDs and LED fogs.
    My 5th Wheel: 2022 Grand Design 390 RK, 3 ACs, Gen Prep, too much storage ~16,000 rolling.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by forrestkb View Post
    I’ve got a deleted 5th gen and leave the exhaust brake on full around the clock.

Living in a hilly area helps slow me down without having to burn up my brakes, and who doesn’t love that whistle.

So my question is, Is this putting wear and tear on my turbo or other parts of my truck, leaving it on constantly?

I’ve seen people say it’s good to leave it on auto as the backpressure can make sure nothing clogs up, but that was for a non deleted Cummins.

Others say they leave it on for the sound.

I can’t find a straight answer in the deleted community.
    @DRD can we get your input?

I hear keep it on / keep it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Keeping it on like stated above will help keep the vanes clean from gumming up friend

A lot of folks will also suggest getting 1300 EGT and hit the exhaust brake to burn off residual carbon build up.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

You can keep it on.

It won’t hurt a thing.

Saves the brakes for sure.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

12. Likes Corkey, Jesro2004 liked this post