Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  23

Thread: Camper Searching

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Camper Searching

Currently on the market for a 5th wheel camper.

I’ve got a few selections, but what would be the max weight I should stick with for my selection?

Some examples of my selections are a 30’ at about 8,500lbs dry and GVWR at 10,500, and then a 26.5’ at about 7,500lbs and I’m guessing 9,500lbs GVWR.

I will be adding some airbags to help out with the weight.

Will the extra 3.5’ be worth it for $5k more?

2008 3/4ton Long Bed
    68RFE - ATS Separator/Accumulator plate
    Deleted
    VGT Switch
    Catchcan - CCV delete
    H&S MM,Banks gauges-EGT,PSI
    285/70R17 Vision-tactical

2. Thanks SyN, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Camper Searching

I subscribed and Watching this thread closely for the advice you receive.

I wish I had some solid advice for you - but I honestly have to keep my thoughts to myself - due to advising on this matter is complex, and quite a few things need to be looked at (Mainly what is your 2008 rated for - to tow safely & legally) - with all passengers & Adventure Gear!

Remember: Adding products to aid in towing (Handling & Braking) - does not increase your actual max tow rating.

Good Luck & I hope you receive alot of Rock Solid Logical Advice!

I will be facing this same adventure next spring.

"Over the last 4yrs - I've acquired alot of Notes taken - 5 pages of Do's & Don'ts"
    Firestone (Rear) Air Bags & Power Stop Brake Kit = First on the List!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

4. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, nitsuj08 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

The biggest issue with the 2500s, IF you are concerned about legal weights, is the max 10k lb GVWR.

I am not sure with the 2008s, but the Gen4, especially the mega cabs, can weigh in at 8k lbs or more by itself.

Once you add in a 5th wheel hitch, then add in the hitch weight of the trailer, you are very close, if not over the GVWR of the truck.

That is without passengers and gear.

I would start with getting the truck's weight by itself, and then you can figure out how much you have to play with the go from there.

I have a 2014 Cougar 28 ft. 5'er, which would probably work and be legal for your setup.

It is around 9k loaded, with the hitch/hitch weight being around 1400 lbs.

My experience with RV salespeople is they are clueless about legal weights and GVWRs.

If it will hitch up and roll off the lot, they will sell it to you, so you must be careful and watch the weights yourself.

Just an FYI, I have been a professional truck driver for 37 years.

The big trucks have to deal with legal weights constantly, so I know the area.

Happy Hunting!

2018 Ram 3500 (Aisin) Laramie 4X4 CCSB White/Silver.
    2018 Mustang GT Lightning Blue 6 spd manual.
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN, nitsuj08 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Alright. Apologies for the late reply

I actually picked up a 2000 komfort 26fs 5er this past Friday, which is 28’ at about 7,500lbs empty. Its needing a little work to it such as a broken window being the worst(already fixed it and went plexiglass) but I’m fully capable of completing what needs fixing.

Towed it about 90miles to my house being all highway and it did very well even with a 10” extension on it which was removed when I got home, guessing a short bed pulled it before me.

I bought an Anderson for the rails, but I have not towed with that just yet but I am super excited.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nitsuj08; 03-24-2022 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Photo aspect ratio
    2008 3/4ton Long Bed
    68RFE - ATS Separator/Accumulator plate
    Deleted
    VGT Switch
    Catchcan - CCV delete
    H&S MM,Banks gauges-EGT,PSI
    285/70R17 Vision-tactical

8. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Nice find.

I have a few suggestions:

1. You have to get it level while towed (or very close to it). That might be a challenge with your lifted truck and the older trailer and what looks like spring under axels. Pulling it biased towards the rear like that will toast those rear tires in short order; you might wind up popping tires.
    2. Ensure you maintain 6-7 inches of space between the overhang and the bed rails.
    3. Do maintenance on the axles, like repacking the bearings and inspecting/replacing/adjusting the brakes.

An axle flip (spring over axle) may cure a lot of that slope while also gaining the bed rail clearance you need.

It is not a simple swap because the axles are likely bowed in the middle to accommodate the load, so the perches would have to be cut and rewelded.

Make sure you get out and enjoy it! Welcome to the club!

My Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, granite crystal metallic/tan interior, CCLB SRW 4x4, 68RFE, 6.7 Cummins, rear air, 5th wheel pkg. MODS: MM3 w/tunes, EGR delete, ITC grid heater delete, GDP airhorn, GDP heater, ARP 625 head studs, FloPro 5", REVMAX billet VB, Synergy steering, Thuren .5" lift/sway, Fox remote res shocks, Morimoto HIDs and LED fogs.
    My 5th Wheel: 2022 Grand Design 390 RK, 3 ACs, Gen Prep, too much storage ~16,000 rolling.

10. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Schoolbus View Post
    Nice find.

I have a few suggestions:

1. You have to get it level while towed (or very close to it). That might be a challenge with your lifted truck and the older trailer and what looks like spring under axels. Pulling it biased towards the rear like that will toast those rear tires in short order; you might wind up popping tires.
    2. Ensure you maintain 6-7 inches of space between the overhang and the bed rails.
    3. Do maintenance on the axles, like repacking the bearings and inspecting/replacing/adjusting the brakes.

An axle flip (spring over axle) may cure a lot of that slope while also gaining the bed rail clearance you need.

It is not a simple swap because the axles are likely bowed in the middle to accommodate the load, so the perches would have to be cut and rewelded.

Make sure you get out and enjoy it! Welcome to the club!
    Great advice; I agree.

My friend decided to add rear airbags to his truck and kept blowing rear tires on his fifth wheel.

Each time he blew a tire, it did several thousand dollars of damage to the side of his camper.

Putting too much air in the bags made the fifth wheel sit nose high.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

12. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post