Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: CEL/MIL related to throttle (P2121)

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

CEL/MIL related to throttle (P2121)

Good evening all,

Yesterday I fired up the rig to move hay, and I got about 2 miles down the road when my MIL came on.

At first, it only showed P2121 and P2127 on my DRD MM3.

I disconnected negative terminals, let it sit for a bit, and cleared codes, and it fired up with no issue.

We have had a lot of snow and ice here in the Midwest, so I thought maybe it could just be acting temperamental.

Again, I got 2-3 miles down the road, and the MIL came on, followed by a dead pedal that I could flick back into action to limp home.

Now I'm reading P2121, P2122, P2127, and P2509, and my truck is 2011; I swapped out pedals to get a new TPS on, but that hasn't changed anything.

I will add that electronics are not my best field, but nothing looks shorted out, broken, or cut.

My batteries are good, Superstart Platinum AGMs, and everything checks out on my MM3.

I can and will run back and forth to the truck to figure it out, answer questions that you have to help me or get photos, etc.

It's been forever since I've used a multimeter, but I'll do what I can to check things if you have advice.

One last thing, the MIL is gone, but the lightning bolt on the dash is still flashing.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

CEL/MIL related to throttle (P2121)

To get rid of the lightning bolt message, try the following:

1. Insert the ignition key and turn to the "ON" position but do not start the engine
    2. Wait for all the warning lights to go out. The check engine light may remain on.
    3. Slowly depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor.
    4. Slowly release the accelerator pedal until it is all the way back up at the rest position.
    5. Turn the ignition key to "he "OFF" position.

If the codes return, you will need to follow the troubleshooting information attached.

Since you have replaced the throttle position sensor, the issue is likely in the wiring between the ECM C2 plug and the throttle position sensor or, possibly but not so common, the ECM itself.

Please keep in mind this information that I have provided is for my 2014 3500 as I don't have access to yours.

Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks watersupply189, CJL, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, CJL, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: CEL/MIL related to throttle (P2121)

Forgive me, Bob.

I did run that procedure and am in my current state afterward.

I believe it probably is the wiring between the APPS/TPS and ECM.

I've also cycled the truck on and off a handful of times and had taken it down the road briefly when it acknowledged I had a pedal, even though I still had MIL lights and codes.

I just stepped inside from rechecking grounds and connectors, and all is "fixed" for now.

I had no MIL or lightning bolt when I turned the key on. I need to get some food in me, and then I'll warm her up and stretch her out to see.

Thanks for the reply and help.

I'll follow up later and let all of you know how the drive went.

6. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Re: CEL/MIL related to throttle (p2121)

Quote Originally Posted by CJL View Post
    Forgive me, Bob.

I've also cycled the truck on and off a handful of times and had taken it down the road briefly when it acknowledged I had a pedal, even though I still had MIL lights and codes.

I just stepped inside from rechecking grounds and connectors, and all is "fixed" for now.

I had no MIL or lightning bolt when I turned the key on. I need to get some food in me, and then I'll warm her up and stretch her out to see.

Sounds hopeful; maybe just needed to complete the four drive cycles to reset after replacing the TPS.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Re: CEL/MIL related to throttle (P2121)

Quote Originally Posted by CJL View Post
    Forgive me, Bob.

Any update?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post