Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: 1999 Dodge RAM 2500 4x4 Crank With No Start

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

1999 Dodge RAM 2500 4x4 Crank With No Start

Hello, everyone; I require some advice and help.

I have a 1999 RAM 2500 that had been running great, and I got in it yesterday to start it up and cranks and won't even try to light off.

This happened out of nowhere.

This truck also has had a "dumb" wait to start light that only comes on when it feels like it when turning the ignition on but has been starting up until now.

I've checked all the connections to my FASS and verified the pump is fully primed via FASS fitting at VP inlet, and I can't seem to get any fuel to bleed out of the injectors when cranking, which leads me to believe it is an ECM or VP issue and since both are relatively expensive parts.

I'm hoping these codes mean a definite VP issue and not both simultaneously.

The truck has right at 200k and still has its factory VP44.

Is P1688 a specific VP death code, or can this code be generated from a bad ECM not commanding the pump to turn on?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 1999 Dodge RAM 2500 4x4 Crank With No Start

Update: I replaced the VP44 with a magnum pump from area diesel service, and the truck fired right up!

There are no more VP codes or any other codes, but it seems like the truck has an ECM problem to where it's like it is running on only factory preset parameters from ECM.

It feels like it's gone into a sort of a "limp mode" once a load is present on the engine.

The truck still has little to no trace of a wait to start light illuminating and was doing this before the VP44 failed.

I have replaced the ignition switch, inspected wiring for days, and cleaned the truck's all-important grounds and the engine itself.

The only other thing I can think of is the ECM as the culprit.

I will do a follow-up again when the problem gets resolved to help someone else in my situation.

4. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: 1999 Dodge RAM 2500 4x4 Crank With No Start

Your ECM is faulty, and I’m going through the same problem with my 02.

I got a reman ECM, and the truck ran great again for a week, and then out of nowhere, I lost my wait time, starts light, and lift pump prime again.

I am waiting for the company to send me another reman unit and hope it works.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, C-MAN thanked for this post