Thanks Thanks:  55
Likes Likes:  101
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Blue Smoke At Idle?

1. Top Of Page | #31

User Info Menu

Blue Smoke At Idle?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordank View Post
    Hi guys here is a video I took this morning.

I feel that the rail pressure sensor is faulty but let me know what you guys think.

I have no codes.

You can hear how bad my truck idles once I cold start it.

I am wondering if this is causing my rough idle and smoking issue.
    Thanks for the video.

Not sure why your FRP actual with KOEO is fluctuating that much.

Mine fluctuates also but less than 200 psi. Your FRP sensor is showing normal behavior.

The FRP sensor drops most of the 5V reference at low rail pressure.

1.5-1.6 Volts at idle is typical and you will rarely see it over 4.3 Volts at high pressure.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2. Thanks Jordank thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #32

User Info Menu

Re: Blue Smoke At Idle?

Well, I thought I would update the thread once again since I figured out why my truck was smoking and running so bad.

It turns out I did have a bad injector. I ended up changing #1 because it failed, and after I changed it, I ran my truck and noticed it still was a little smokey, so I temp gunned the manifold and found #6 to be the coldest when it should technically be the hottest since it's furthest from the intake manifold.

After replacing both injectors, it runs a lot better.

I put injector cleaner in my fuel tank and am taking my truck to the dealer to update the trim codes of the new injectors.

Thanks to everyone for their input on this thread, and I am so relieved my truck is running better now.

Next up is to swap the turbo with a fixed one. :cool

4. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #33

User Info Menu

Glad you figured it out, friend.

Thanks for the update.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, timshooter40 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jordank View Post
    Well, I thought I would update the thread once again since I figured out why my truck was smoking and running so bad.

It turns out I did have a bad injector. I ended up changing #1 because it failed, and after I changed it, I ran my truck and noticed it still was a little smokey, so I temp gunned the manifold and found #6 to be the coldest when it should technically be the hottest since it's furthest from the intake manifold.

After replacing both injectors, it runs a lot better.

I put injector cleaner in my fuel tank and am taking my truck to the dealer to update the trim codes of the new injectors.

Thanks to everyone for their input on this thread, and I am so relieved my truck is running better now.

Next up is to swap the turbo with a fixed one. :cool
    Happy you found the problem.

Just curious, how did you determine injector #1 was bad?

Did you find it with temperature also or by performing an injector kill test or some other method?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #35

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Happy you found the problem.

Just curious, how did you determine injector #1 was bad?

Did you find it with temperature also or by performing an injector kill test or some other method?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.
    #1 cylinder temp was cold but it's also normal to be colder since it's closest to the intake air coming into the engine.

I found it by removing the fuel line and capping off the port on the common rail for that cylinder.

I then started my truck and it ran way better even on 5 cylinders.

There was still the odd puff of blue smoke and an obvious miss so I figured there was another one going.

Once I replaced #1 I temp gunned the manifold and determined #6 was by far the coldest temp.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234