Likes Likes:  101
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blue Smoke At Idle?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Blue Smoke At Idle?

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Thanks for posting.

Curious, does the exhaust smell like unburnt fuel?

Injector issue?

Veins in the turbo sticking maybe?

Hopefully, someone else will chime in that’s had this issue.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4
    I just replaced my actuator 2 weeks ago because of the p003a code and no exhaust brake.

I calibrated the new actuator with Alfaobd and the codes went away and I found I could build boost faster/ more efficiently.

I also rebuilt the turbo with Turbolab America rebuild kit.

This smoking issue has happened before I even got the codes for the actuator it just seems like it's getting worse now.

It could very well be an injector, however it's odd how it waits for about 1 minute before it starts acting up.

It won't always run rough either, some times it starts and runs fine with no smoke.

2. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Thanks for posting.

Curious, does the exhaust smell like unburnt fuel?

Injector issue?

Veins in the turbo sticking maybe?

Hopefully, someone else will chime in that’s had this issue.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4
    Agree with @watersupply189 we need to narrow down if what you are seeing is related to fuel or oil at this point.

I have also attached some information from Mopar Tech Authority regarding excessive blue smoke.

Obviously as noted in step 1 the DPF normally traps any smoke from appearing at the tailpipe, so some of what you are seeing is normal.

The fact that you didn’t see any blue smoke when you returned to the stock tune would suggest to me that perhaps the tune is possibly over fueling.

Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Agree with @watersupply189 we need to narrow down if what you are seeing is related to fuel or oil at this point.

I have also attached some information from Mopar Tech Authority regarding excessive blue smoke.

Obviously as noted in step 1 the DPF normally traps any smoke from appearing at the tailpipe, so some of what you are seeing is normal.

The fact that you didn’t see any blue smoke when you returned to the stock tune would suggest to me that perhaps the tune is possibly over fueling.
    Thanks for the reply.

One thing that could be related is when I'm driving the truck and coast in gear with no exhaust brake on sometimes some blue smoke comes out of the exhaust.

I just performed a valve set and adjusted all the exhaust valves to .022 and intake to .010.

This seemed to help with the smoke while driving anyway.

My cc pressure is always below 1psi and I just changed the CCV filter not long ago.

The intake on the turbo has no oil in it and the filter is brand new.

Like I said I just rebuilt the turbo and the seals looked fine and I was having the issue before rebuilding it.

Right after initial start up I out my oil cap upside down and it barely moves (only from vibration) and the under side of the cap is dark oil not milky in anyway.

I am leaning towards fuel, just not sure if it's the tuner or if it's something wrong with the truck.

6. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jordank View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

One thing that could be related is when I'm driving the truck and coast in gear with no exhaust brake on sometimes some blue smoke comes out of the exhaust.

I just performed a valve set and adjusted all the exhaust valves to .022 and intake to .010.

This seemed to help with the smoke while driving anyway.

My cc pressure is always below 1psi and I just changed the CCV filter not long ago.

The intake on the turbo has no oil in it and the filter is brand new.

Like I said I just rebuilt the turbo and the seals looked fine and I was having the issue before rebuilding it.

Right after initial start up I out my oil cap upside down and it barely moves (only from vibration) and the under side of the cap is dark oil not milky in anyway.

I am leaning towards fuel, just not sure if it's the tuner or if it's something wrong with the truck.
    I think you are on the right track.

I noticed in the video, that the check engine light was on.

So was the cold start with the tune on or off (stock)?

If the tune was on I would duplicate the conditions with the tune off to see rule the tune in or out.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

I think you are on the right track. I noticed in the video, that the check engine light was on.

So was the cold start with the tune on or off (stock)?

If the tune was on I would duplicate the conditions with the tune off to see rule the tune in or out.
    The light was on because the truck was returned to stock and there were emissions codes present.

I have tried cold starting it with the tune on and off, with the truck returned to stock and deleted with increased power.

All have the same outcome.

10. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

The light was on because the truck was returned to stock and there were emissions codes present.

I have tried cold starting it with the tune on and off, with the truck returned to stock and deleted with increased power. All have the same outcome.
    Makes sense, so if it is fuel related, I wonder if the AlfaOBD “Fuel System Run Up Test” would reveal anything?

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Makes sense, so if it is fuel related, I wonder if the AlfaOBD “Fuel System Run Up Test” would reveal anything?
    Okay so I added a snap shot of the Alfaobd fuel system run up test.

It failed right away after the first time the engine revved up.

I had the coolant above 180° park brake set, Trans in neutral (being a standard)

Just to reassess on where I'm at.

Just recently the exhaust brake quit working again but have no codes.

I can read VGT postion actual vs desired and actual is 0% and desired stays at 5% and doesn't change.

The truck also sounds droany.

The weird part is when I press the EB button and read exhaust back pressure it reads pressure as if the exhaust brake is actually on.

When I turn it off, I have no reading.

I then returned the truck to deletes with real time tuning (where I normally run it every day use) and got my exhaust brake back and the engine sounded quieter.

I took it for a test run and the actual and desired VGT positions matched.

I came home and shut it off.

I then went to go leave about an hour later and right when I started it, no exhaust brake and the truck sounds droany again.

I know this is a lot to process and I hope I'm not making too much non sense.

I wasn't sure if the smoking/ rough idle and now no exhaust brake are related or not.

I have had the smoking issue before loosing my EB.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

16. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

I agree that there are a lot of variables to take in.

The AlfaOBD test didn’t reveal any answers other than aborted and failed.

Not sure why the VGT actual is 0%, and the desired is 5% and doesn’t change; the ECM should be commanding 90 to 100% with the exhaust brake on and engaged.

Also, the fact that with tuning the exhaust brake and VGT both work great, then an hour later, it stops working.

I must admit this problem has me stumped also.

The smoking and rough idle could be fuel-related.

If I think of anything useful, I will chime in.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Just wanted to let you know that I performed the same AlfaOBD test today with the same results.

So I think we can take these results out of the equation.

I am thinking the “Aftertreatment Not Allowed” may be the result of us both being deleted.

AlfaOBD Fuel Test2.jpg

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

20. Thanks Jordank, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast