Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  15

Thread: RAM 3500 SRW Ride Compared To RAM 2500?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

RAM 3500 SRW Ride Compared To RAM 2500?

I am looking for some guidance from you, fellas.

Currently, I’ve got a 2500 and thinking, since I’m going to build to spec, does the 3500 SRW ride much worse than 2500?

And also, does the Carli or Thuren progressive leaf pack alleviate the stiff hop leaf trucks tend to have?

My 17 Denali rode very well and on par with my Cummins in the front end, but I don’t recall riding in the rear as well.

I’m thinking either way about doing a Thuren Carli king or Fox mash-up for the entire suspension since I won’t have the 12,000$ for a Dominator set up and won’t be hitting whoops at 80 mph; anyways?

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: RAM 3500 SRW Ride Compared To RAM 2500?

Apples to oranges with coil spring vs. leaf.

I'd stick to 2500 with the coil setup if you want ride quality.

If you go 3500, the only way you'll combat rear end hop is with a set of traction bars.

2015 Ram 3500 CCSB SRW 4x4 G56
    2020 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 68RFE

Never ending project. Always adding something...

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

A leaf spring truck will never ride and a rear coil spring truck.

A leaf spring truck with well-tuned shocks will ride well, a rear coil spring truck with well-tuned shocks will ride great.

As stated, the wheel hop would need to be addressed with traction bars because leaf springs do leaf spring things.

Ultimate ride quality lies within 2500 with rear coils and a good suspension.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OneTon View Post
    Apples to oranges with coil spring vs. leaf.

I'd stick to 2500 with the coil setup if you want ride quality.

If you go 3500, the only way you'll combat rear end hop is with a set of traction bars.
    Kind of what i thought. I'm still blown away at how well this Ram rides.

I just wasn't sure if the rear aftermarket leaf packs really took the "bite" out of the rear and made it more streetable.

I also won't be able to do bags in any fashion as I'm a 5" exhaust only kinda guy

I just don't want to put myself in a situation where we decide to buy a Toy hauler this summer, and I don't have enough truck to pull it.

But at the same time, I think of some of the Dump loads I've pulled with my old L5p and laugh.

Had I gotten pulled over with some of those loads of shingles I can't even imagine how big the tickets would've have been.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I have a 3500 CCLB 4x4 factory rear air with the Thuren .5 lift, and Fox remote-res shocks all around.

I think it rides pretty dang good for a 3500, and I get compliments from everyone that rides in it.

The factory rear air trucks sit a little lower and have a leaf removed, so they don't ride as rough as normal 3500s.

With the Fox shocks in the rear, it is even better.

It also helps to have the axle so far away from the pass compartment (long bed).

I will add I doubt that my setup rides better than a 2500.

Hard to beat links and coils, but I can tow a pretty big 5th and a 2500 cant (or at least shouldn't).

My Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, granite crystal metallic/tan interior, CCLB SRW 4x4, 68RFE, 6.7 Cummins, rear air, 5th wheel pkg. MODS: MM3 w/tunes, EGR delete, ITC grid heater delete, GDP airhorn, GDP heater, ARP 625 head studs, FloPro 5", REVMAX billet VB, Synergy steering, Thuren .5" lift/sway, Fox remote res shocks, Morimoto HIDs and LED fogs.
    My 5th Wheel: 2022 Grand Design 390 RK, 3 ACs, Gen Prep, too much storage ~16,000 rolling.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post