Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  41

Thread: Ideal Tire Brand / Tread Pattern for Towing - Snow - Ice

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Ideal Tire Brand / Tread Pattern for Towing - Snow - Ice

I don't take the JUDGE off-road - but she will (In the Future) Tow Med/Heavy RV.

The only lousy terrain - I will ever have to deal with is paved roads - covered with Rain or Snow or Ice.
    (I'm basically not concerned with Mud / Sand performance)

After doing months of research - I have gathered a bit of info for the ideal tire for these conditions - I prefer an A/T Tire
    1. Softer Compound tires seem to be more effective.
    2. More Sipping (Down through the tread / Depth) - not just a 1/16th" deep.

Common Sense tells me these conditions are not ideal for a dedicated M/T - So I have no desire for this type.

If you have experience with any One Company & Brand of Tire that excelled in these conditions, please share!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Ideal Tire Brand / Tread Pattern for Towing - Snow - Ice

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    I don't take the JUDGE off-road - but she will (In the Future) Tow Med/Heavy RV.

The only lousy terrain - I will ever have to deal with is paved roads - covered with Rain or Snow or Ice.

After doing months of research - I have gathered a bit of info for the ideal tire for these conditions - I prefer an A/T Tire
    1. Softer Compound tires seem to be more effective.
    2. More Sipping (Down through the tread / Depth) - not just a 1/16th" deep.

Common Sense tells me these conditions are an M/T worst nightmare - So I have no desire for this type.

If you have experience with any One Company & Brand of Tire that excelled in these conditions, please share!
    I run Maxxis M/T. I wouldn't consider them full M/T because the spacing is relatively close for M/T. They come with a 35000-mile tread warranty. I'm on my second set. I wouldn't say that the highway is the worst thing for M/T; neither is towing.

What I have found is it comes down to the compound of the tire. If the tire is too soft, it will not hold up to towing or diesel very well but will work great in ice/slippery conditions. If the tire is too stiff of the compound, it will not work on ice very well but will last longer.

I have also run Cooper STT pro, and it was a true M/T, and it lasted pretty well and worked well on ice.

I run about 60% highway 40% off-road, and pretty much all my truck does is tow; very rare that it's not hooked to the trailer of some sort or has weight in the box.

I used to run A/T but have found that I had to chain up way more in slick/snowy conditions than with an M/T.

I have found that the amount of siping significantly affects tire life on diesel. While siping is excellent for slick conditions, tires with many siping will not hold up to diesel. If the tire doesn't have any siping, it isn't very good on ice or any other slick condition.

I have been running diesel pickups for 22 years, on and off-road, for work and personal use. Just what I have found, through a lot of tires.

I have been leasing shop space from a tire shop for the last three years.

The most sold A/T for them has been the Falken A/T3W. They also recommend the tire when someone comes in looking for A/T for pickup.

They also sell Cooper, but they no longer sell many Cooper because of poor tread life, and they have seen a lot needing to be returned because they won't balance.

They also sell quite a few Toyo A/T Open Country and have good luck with them, but they get a few returned because they are loud tires. Toyo seems to be using a reasonably hard tire compound that makes them louder.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, SyN, Jaxonsram thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I have run Toyo Open Country ATii on my trucks to my wife and daughter's SUVs for numerous years.

I have never had any problems out of them.

I tow heavy when I tow (21000lbs fifth wheel RV), and they have held up great.

I have just switched to the ATiii from Toyo, and they are holding up well.

That's my 2 pennies worth.

2019 RAM MEGACAB 4X4 (AISIN) 4.10 GEARS, 6.7 CUMMINS W/ DRD BETA TUNNING, KMC XD843 GRENADE WHEELS, CUSTOM WINDOW TINT, 50 GALLON TITAN TRAVEL TREKKER, AND S&B CAI

2018 GRAND DESIGN MOMENTUM 399TH WITH FULL BODY PAINT, AND SIDE PORCH.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN, Jaxonsram thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I have firestone XT 275/65r20 126 load index on my truck right now; keep an eye out for the actual weight of the tire.

I had Micky Thompson Baja boss A/T's for two months 35x12.50r20 they were quiet, but I lost 5mpg; they are 73 lbs per tire.

The firestones are 52 lbs per tire.

The 275/65r20 because there is a backorder on the 285/60r20's and as soon as they become available, I will be switching the 275's for the 285's.

So far, I have been driving thru snow and ice, and the firestone XT tire works well.

The tires are quiet and ride smooth.

My mileage came back with the firestone XT, and if I hadn't gotten a smoking deal on the Micky Thompson tires, I would have never put them on my truck.

I have had Nitto Exo grapplers (285/65r20 127) 2 mpg loss, Cooper AT3 XLT (295/60r20 126) minimal mpg loss, Goodyear trail runner (275/65r20 at 126) same as stock, Micky Thompson Baja boss at (35x12.50r20 125) 5 mpg loss, and now the firestone XT (275/65r20 126) same as stock.

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN, Jaxonsram thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

A Hugeto each one of you - who took the time to share your Thoughts / Experiences / Opinions!

I have went so far as follow & subscribe to a group on Youtube (StormChasingVideo) - (I am a Huge Weather GeeK) These guys spend a ton of time driving in Snow / Ice / Rain & have been really awesome in actually chatting with me & shared their storm chasing vehicle & tire info - with a few good tips as well.

This new storm that has been dumping snow & ice all over the eastern part of the country - has given me another chance to chat with a couple of them.

The young man - I chatted with last night while he was driving through Arlington & Dallas - swears by his BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM3 on his Chevy 4x4 Pickup.

I have researched these below and are as of now on my watch list - Thing is it will probably next fall before I invest in a new set - so other brands for sure will appear be added.
    A. Toyo Open Country A/T III
    B. Firestone Destination X/T - My Firestone dealer on occasions has special adds - Buy 3 get the 4th Free! This might be a deciding factor.
    C. Wildpeak A/T3W
    D. Hankook Dynapro XT
    E. Radar Renegade R/T
    F. Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Jaxonsram thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I have the Rugged Trek’s.

There doing well.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN, Jaxonsram thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I run the Faulkin Wildpeak.

Have 40k miles on them and still half tread left.

Excellent in the snow and very quiet on the road.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN, Jaxonsram thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I currently have Michelin LTX M/S 2, an excellent quiet highway tire, but not impressed with traction on snow or ice.

I will follow this thread as I am replacing them this summer with a better, more aggressive winter tire.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

16. Thanks SyN, IGOTACUMMINS, Jaxonsram thanked for this post