Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  24

Thread: Can 4th Gen Trucks Be Fueled At The Semi Pumps?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Can 4th Gen Trucks Be Fueled At The Semi Pumps?

Now, forgive me for the dumb question here.

As a VERY recent 4th gen owner (I've had my 2016 like two weeks), but a long time 3rd gen owner, I am used to being able to go to the semi pumps at gas stations and truck stops, and using their hi-volume pumps, fill my truck in a manner of seconds.

I recently tried this on my 2016, and the fuel immediately sprayed everywhere and would not go into the tank.

Even depressing the fuel pump handle only slightly, the fuel would not go into the truck and spray out.

Do the newer trucks not have sufficient air return to allow the hi-flow pumps to be used or something?

Did I have a bad experience at that particular pump?

Is my filler neck messed up?

Any would be appreciated.

REAPER

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Can 4th Gen Trucks Be Fueled At The Semi Pumps?

Interesting question: a spring-loaded flapper valve inside the filler neck several inches below the filler cap.

I wonder if perhaps the larger nozzle on the high-volume pumps cannot insert deep enough to open this valve?

Hopefully, someone else who has used these pumps will chime in.

My friend no dumb questions here; hopefully, we will all learn something from your experience.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Aboshan thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I have filled mine at the big pumps.

It is a little harder to get the big nozzle down in the filler hole all the way, but it will work - jiggle it around a bit.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I never had an issue with the 5th Gen or the motorhome (when I had them), but my 1st time filling the 4th Gen got me a gulp of diesel all over the fender (filler area leaks into the fender too, so cleaning the paint side didn't get rid of the smell. )

Push the nozzle into filler as far as your hand can go and then start it gently before the full blast.

That worked for me.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

My Gen4 has a ball valve several inches down the filler tube.

I can use big truck pumps, but I have to shove the nozzle in as far as it will go and twist the pump handle towards the back of the truck slightly so that it will fill all the way.

I use Hot Shots EDT every tank.

I use a large screwdriver to hold the ball valve open while I pour it in, or it will overflow like you are seeing.

2018 Ram 3500 (Aisin) Laramie 4X4 CCSB White/Silver.
    2018 Mustang GT Lightning Blue 6 spd manual.
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, IheartMegaCab thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

I'll give it a whirl again when I get the chance and try your suggestions.

I wonder, is there an absolute need for this ball valve as long as a fuel cap is used?

It sounds like an excellent item to delete.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, timshooter40 liked this post