Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom bumper

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Custom bumper

So I have been throwing the idea around of making my own front bumper. Looking toward the ranch hand style but not to picky just want some extra protection. I have been searching the interwebs but just checking if anyone has done it and can give me some advice. I can weld but I only have a cheapo gasless. I was planning on renting/borrowing a better one.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Ya u will want a good stick welder. And be creative I did my own. The build I believe is on the forum somewhere with lots of pics it may give u some ideas I'll see if I can find. Search for any threads that say bluedemon

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I did a a lot of searching a while back for the same reason, there's lots of ideas out there to be found on how to mock up plans with cardboard, to buying a pre cut kit you just weld together. Take your time with it. Measure twice, draw it out, then measure again before you start cutting. Nothing sucks worst than getting it done and finding out your 1/8" off when you go to install it.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Diggert. I think he needs a mig welder. Stick is old school for the gauge of steel he'll be working with. He can get better welds on seems so they can be hidden with a mig.

Just sayin

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I use and prefer a good wirefeed, running flux core wire. But that's me.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Flux core should be used when joining 2 dissimilar steels together. Otherwise Gas is the way to go. Gas Mig just gives you a better finish. But you're good the way you are. Gas Mig reduces worpage too

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Oh sh!t Steve. Linex will cover everything LOL.

Where yur flux capisitors during all this LOL

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I'm not the best welder mainly from lack of practice but I am good with a grinder to clean it up. I am going to try and start something soon. At least mocking it up with cardboard.

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Fireman, if heaviest your going is 1/4" steel then a good wire feed either flux core or gas mig will work good for ya. Easy to run, and strong enough for no heavier than materials needed. You have a shop to weld in or be outside for it?

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I have a shop to weld it in or at least a garage to pull it in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast