Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  42

Thread: Gelled Diesel Fuel

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Gelled Diesel Fuel

So I am looking for some advice/ opinions.

About a week ago, I made a mistake by only putting about 10oz of the white bottle power service fuel additive in my 34-gallon tank.

Well, about two days later, it got down to about -7 degrees ambient temp.

My fuel gelled up a bit.

During my fight, I found that it was gelled enough to freeze up my FASS pump causing it to blow a fuse.

The weird part is it also blew the Fuze for the fuel heater. (Dual heaters installed).

I also used the red bottle power service fuel additive to get my stuff thawed out, which worked great.

About an hour later and the truck started again.

Do I need to put in a slightly bigger fuse for the heaters since I am running dual heaters and not single?

There is a 10 amp in it now.

Also, since I used the diesel 911, should I change the filters even though it says you don't have to on the bottle.

Trucks have been running fine, but I've heard many people say it is still necessary.

What are all your feelings?

2012 RAM 2500 Crew Cab SLT 6.7L.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Gelled Diesel Fuel

Quote Originally Posted by f18framer View Post
    So I am looking for some advice/ opinions.

About a week ago, I made a mistake by only putting about 10oz of the white bottle power service fuel additive in my 34-gallon tank.

Well, about two days later, it got down to about -7 degrees ambient temp.

My fuel gelled up a bit.

During my fight, I found that it was gelled enough to freeze up my FASS pump causing it to blow a fuse.

The weird part is it also blew the Fuze for the fuel heater. (Dual heaters installed).

I also used the red bottle power service fuel additive to get my stuff thawed out, which worked great.

About an hour later and the truck started again.

Do I need to put in a slightly bigger fuse for the heaters since I am running dual heaters and not single?

There is a 10 amp in it now.

Also, since I used the diesel 911, should I change the filters even though it says you don't have to on the bottle.

Trucks have been running fine, but I've heard many people say it is still necessary.

What are all your feelings?
    I don’t have any experience with the FASS heater system but personally I would not exceed the manufacturers supplied fuse rating.

I have the stock fuel filter setup on my 2014 with one additional fuel filter not heated.

I frequently experience similar and colder temperatures without any gelling issues, but I do add 10mL per gallon of the Archoil AR6300 winter treatment October through March.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks SyN, IGOTACUMMINS, nitsuj08 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Yea, I didn't want to up the fuse either without doing some research.

Or reason I think it may need it is the kit that the 10 amp fuse comes in only has one heater element included.

FASS makes a splitter cable, and when you buy a second element to put in the second heater port on the pump.

I am figuring that maybe the included fuse was only intended for a single element, and obviously, adding a second heater will effectively double the power draw a bigger fuse may be needed.

I may need to see if I can get ahold of fass to figure this out

6. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, Murph thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I've heard to change filters after a gel problem.

It should be easy and reasonably cheap on your FASS anyways for a bit of peace of mind.

Maybe run the tank down that you put the 911 stuff in and change filters after a fresh tank of fuel?

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

For sure, change the filters.

Mine gelled up last February when it got to -14F in Kansas City.

I had it plugged in and ran fine on remote start for 10 min.

I got less than 2 miles down the road and started having trouble.

I have the BMP Cat filter kit.

Engine mounted filter was fine opened up the rear and found this.

I have installed the rear heater element and a fuel pressure gauge on the front housing right before the high-pressure fuel pump.

Sent from my Armor X8i using Tapatalk

2019 CCSB 2500, 68RFE, 52gal Titan Fuel Tank, oil Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter, Cat Fuel Filters, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 275/70-18 (Stock)

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN, Power247 thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by max_483 View Post
    For sure, change the filters.

Mine gelled up last February when it got to -14F in Kansas City.

I had it plugged in and ran fine on remote start for 10 min.

I got less than 2 miles down the road and started having trouble.

I have the BMP Cat filter kit.

Engine mounted filter was fine opened up the rear and found this.

I have installed the rear heater element and a fuel pressure gauge on the front housing right before the high-pressure fuel pump.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...04150f14e7.jpg

Sent from my Armor X8i using Tapatalk
    Mine has run fine for about two weeks now.

Drove it back to Virginia from Nebraska, so I have about five fuel tanks through it since the incident.

I had an extra set of fuel filters with me the whole way just in case, thanks to the giant cross-reference of filters from FASS.

I didn't need them but just got a new set of FASS filters today.

I am still debating on swapping them out.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Just a thought, but from working in cold weather for many years now and operating equipment in extreme conditions, the mechanics that work on our equipment all suggested that if you have a diesel pickup, you should run Howes diesel treatment for your fuel additive and keep your tank on full.

A half-empty tank gets condensation and over time causes problems.

I fill up my equipment every day after use and it already has Howes in fuel.

I fill up my truck when it gets down to 1/2 tank and add Howes.

Plus filling up on 1/2 Tank makes it easier on the pocketbook.

Just some thoughts hope it might help.

https://www.amazon.com/Howes-103060-...8198949&psc=1#

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

This is one of the best looks at multiple additives I have seen.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timshooter40 View Post
    Just a thought, but from working in cold weather for many years now and operating equipment in extreme conditions, the mechanics that work on our equipment all suggested that if you have a diesel pickup, you should run Howes diesel treatment for your fuel additive and keep your tank on full.

A half-empty tank gets condensation and over time causes problems.

I fill up my equipment every day after use and it already has Howes in fuel.

I fill up my truck when it gets down to 1/2 tank and add Howes.

Plus filling up on 1/2 Tank makes it easier on the pocketbook.

Just some thoughts hope it might help.

https://www.amazon.com/Howes-103060-...8198949&psc=1#
    The howes stuff is pretty good.

When I used to work at a Napa when I was in high school, we would sell cases of that stuff to the local trucking companies.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post