Thanks Thanks:  37
Likes Likes:  107
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Turbo Trouble?

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Turbo Trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    okay, so you have replaced the turbo and actuator. You did find the old turbo vanes were stuck.

I have attached information on each of your codes that you clear and then return.

As you can see, three of them point to the turbo and actuator.

I am concerned about the P0471 code; with your 2012 model, you need to have the exhaust pressure sensor plugged in and working.

I wonder if perhaps the ECM thinks the exhaust is plugged, resulting in the other codes.

I would inspect the pressure sensor wires and clean the tube and sensor passage next.

Attachment 13982

Attachment 13983

Attachment 13984

Attachment 13985

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.
    The vanes were stuck, and actually, that piece that holds a filter thing in place broke off and kept the vane from moving.

Brand new turbo and actuator are installed.

I drove it a bit and got the truck up to temp, and it seemed like it ran okay.

I just ordered a new boost speed sensor.

I was also going to check to make sure the oil was pumping to the turbo by pulling that line off.

I think I need to disconnect something so it won't start.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dejapoulos View Post
    The vanes were stuck, and actually, that piece that holds a filter thing in place broke off and kept the vane from moving.

Brand new turbo and actuator are installed.

I drove it a bit and got the truck up to temp, and it seemed like it ran okay.

I just ordered a new boost speed sensor.

I was also going to check to make sure the oil was pumping to the turbo by pulling that line off.

I think I need to disconnect something so it won't start.
    Did you check the exhaust back-pressure sensor and tubing?

To turn the engine over without starting, disconnect both injector connections at the valve cover.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, timshooter40 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Did you check the exhaust back-pressure sensor and tubing?

To turn the engine over without starting, disconnect both injector connections at the valve cover.

Would this cause an issue other than not having an E-Brake?

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dejapoulos View Post
    Would this cause an issue other than not having an E-Brake?
    You may also experience turbo pulsations or surging at idle.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Ok, crazy, but I returned the truck stock, then turned it off.

Then I redownloaded my tunes, and damn, it cleared the codes.

I am one happy camper for now.

Drove it a mile or so, and it seems ok.

Now I want more power!!

Thanks, Bob.

10. Thanks Power247, IGOTACUMMINS, timshooter40 thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #26

Well, I guess I spoke too soon on the Cheetah Fleece; I just blew my actuator yesterday evening.

Time for a 467 2nd gen swap for me.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Palladium View Post
    Well, I guess I spoke too soon on the Cheetah Fleece; I just blew my actuator yesterday evening.

Sorry to hear that.

Another less expensive option to consider may be the City Diesel Actuator if you want to keep your exhaust brake and current tuning.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

14. Thanks Palladium, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Palladium View Post

Yeah that is the pits, crazy on it was the actuator!

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #29

It's a pusher compound turbo setup. I opted for the cheetah fleece to replace the stock turbo specifically to take on the added abuse of the S475 atmospheric turbo.

Out of nowhere, I noticed hardly any boost down low, checked my DTC's and was greeted by P003A, P00AF, & P226C. No Exhaust brake.

It seems to be stuck open and still driveable for the time being, just no instant boost on command like before.

The good news is the Cheetah is still under warranty, so I'll get it swapped and then sell the entire kit.

It was a fun setup while it lasted, but I'm chasing simplicity and reliability.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123