Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Transfer Case To Front Axle

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Transfer Case To Front Axle

So it's been a while, lots of work, etc., etc.

Last year back in May, I believe I purchased a Bridgeport Mill from where I work at.

I got it on the gooseneck and headed home with it.

After some rain, I was going to pull out to the field and turn around so I could back the trailer into the shop and forgot about the very soft spots and hold water, so stuck.

I put it in 4WD, did some digging.

After some time, I was starting to pull out, and one big loud snap seemed just to let everyone know something is happening.

Fast forward, the truck still drove, but the front wheels would not turn.

I removed the driveshaft until I got the time to look into it.

Several months later, I tore the transfer case apart and thought it was the chain that snapped, and I was just lucky to be able to have driven it all this time wasn't what I found.

The hub broke into four pieces, and the clutch kit was pretty much in some pieces.

Ordered new parts, new chain, etc.

I got it installed and didn't get good enough time that day to test it.

It still was getting some noise, though.

Got truck supported on jack stands, took off the wheels, and did some testing.

At idle, everything was working well, I gave it some throttle, and I heard some grinding about the time I was almost at a complete stop.

I removed the driveshaft again, put it in 4WD, and saw the front turning, so it still works, but not under a load.

Tore into the front end; before then, I did remove the cover to take an initial inspection, plus it was time to change the fluid.

Typical wear front what you would expect. I removed the axles and got to playing around, and low and behold, and I found the issue.

Pinion was turning enough and actually would lock itself in place.

Remove the chunk, and while turning the pinion, you can see the movement.

I still am in the process of repairing it; currently, the truck is 2WD, the axle is empty.

I already have a pinion kit from Yukon, getting some new seals and axle u-joints before really tearing into it.

I still have the pinion in the axle housing.

So just venting and wanted to make a post.

My year model was the last of this particular Borg-Warner type.

**Bonus picture at the end on how I unloaded it from the trailer. Talk about really finding out if you can do overhead welding!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

2. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Transfer Case To Front Axle

Nice write-up, glad to see you figured out the transfer case hub and found the issue with the front differential.

Good looking Milling Machine, a great addition to your shop.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks klittle2222, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Transfer Case To Front Axle

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Nice write-up, glad to see you figured out the transfer case hub and found the issue with the front differential.

Good looking Milling Machine, a great addition to your shop.
    Thank you!

I got it for $300, but the actual cost has gone up since LOL.

It's got some wear, but I know I can manage to get it back in very decent shape.

It will be my precision drill press mostly, with special features when needed, LOL.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post