Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  44
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is It My Water Pump?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Is It My Water Pump?

So this had to happen when ambient is -8 and windchill -35 so I can’t spend the time finding the leak.

I thought my water pump was going bad because the digital coolant gauge seems to warm as always.

The analog one on the dash doesn’t seem to move unless I’m on the throttle and goes down if I’m sitting at a stop light.

The passenger side heater is blowing hot but drivers is cool unless on the gas.

So it will blow hot but I have to keep the rpm’s around 2K.

So I ordered a pump from Gino’s which gets here tomorrow.

So today on the coldest day I ran high idle for probably 30 minutes while on a phone call and temps topped at 200 but when I got out there was a puddle of coolant under the passenger wheel.

That’s a first unless I overfilled to coolant that I’ve had a leak.

To drip down the passenger spring is there any chance the pump is the cause or am I looking at something else.

I don’t think it’s the head as the upper hose is soft until it gets to temp.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Is It My Water Pump?

Have you tested your antifreeze to make sure it’s good at 35 below zero and that it’s not freezing up?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Is It My Water Pump?

No, I haven't and was going to do a complete change since it's original fluid, and im changing the pump.

6. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Is It My Water Pump?

Keep us updated.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, timshooter40 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Is It My Water Pump?

Looks like you had similar heater and coolant leaking issues before, were these issues found and repaired?

Did you check the EGR cooler “O” ring for leaks?

Could be the water pump seal leaking also. Did you have the water pump replaced under the 2018 recall?

The lack of heat on the driver’s side could be a partial restriction through the heater core or blend door not working.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Is It My Water Pump?

The O-ring was the problem back then and yes it was fixed.

There is no fluid coming from that area currently or at least I didn't see any signs.

my water pump was inspected and I was told it didn't need to be replaced when that recall first came out.

I'm currently at a bit over 99K miles now so it's defiantly possible to be wearing out.

I do have a blend door sitting on the bench ready to go in also.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Looks like you had similar heater and coolant leaking issues before, were these issues found and repaired?

Did you check the EGR cooler “O” ring for leaks?

Could be the water pump seal leaking also. Did you have the water pump replaced under the 2018 recall?

The lack of heat on the driver’s side could be a partial restriction through the heater core or blend door not working.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Is It My Water Pump?

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldsq View Post
    The O-ring was the problem back then and yes it was fixed.

There is no fluid coming from that area currently or at least I didn't see any signs.

my water pump was inspected and I was told it didn't need to be replaced when that recall first came out.

I'm currently at a bit over 99K miles now so it's defiantly possible to be wearing out.

I do have a blend door sitting on the bench ready to go in also.
    Sounds good, do you have a filter behind the lower glove box?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Is It My Water Pump?

I don't know for sure.

I have never looked.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Sounds good, do you have a filter behind the lower glove box?

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Is It My Water Pump?

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldsq View Post
    I don't know for sure.

I have never looked.
    My 2014 didn’t come with one, so I added the kit.

If you don’t have a filter the condenser could be partially plugged.

If you do have a cabin filter it may be plugged.

This video will help explain.

18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Is It My Water Pump?

Just a quick note on that EGR cooler “O” ring.

I ran my truck all summer no leaks, but after sitting overnight and the temperature was below 0*F I would have a puddle of coolant under the passenger side behind the front wheel.

I replaced the fitting and the “O” ring last month with the kit from Glacier Diesel.

No leaks since.

Also note the old non OEM “O” ring on left has a flat spot.

19. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, timshooter40 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast