Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Do I Need To Upgrade?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Do I Need To Upgrade?

I use my ‘14 2500 auto 4x4 and tow a 16’ gooseneck dump several times a week.

The length of the trailer isn’t my concern.

It’s the volume, the dump will be 14’ I believe, with 5’ sides and 6.5’ wide, and I will be using it to haul firewood.

If I load the trailer packed, can my truck haul it regularly, or do I need to go a 3500?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Do I Need To Upgrade?

Take your truck and trailer to a certified scale empty and loaded to determine the exact weight.

You have to figure the empty weight of your trailer and truck together to determine the gross vehicle weight.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Do I Need To Upgrade?

It would also be helpful to check the weight rating of the trailer vs. the actual.

Gooseneck’s pin weight can be 20-30% of the trailer weight, and if the pin weight is too much biased on the truck, it will result in a bouncing ride.

Firewood volume vs. weight is pretty variable depending on tree and moisture content.

I would load it to the desired volume with the heaviest wood and haul to the scale, then you would know the worst case at a known volume.

2018 srw 3500

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, SyN thanked for this post