Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  34

Thread: Did I Make The Wrong Choice?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Did I Make The Wrong Choice?

Hello everyone,

I’m picking up my new 2022 RAM 3500 HO SRW in 2 weeks.

Due to several people telling me the 68RFE is trash, I ended up getting the 3500 for the Aisin trans (even though I won’t be towing heavy anytime soon).

Are you Aisin guys happy with the way it shifts?

I want the truck to be 500hp daily eventually with the occasional towing.

2. Thanks SyN, IGOTACUMMINS, Chris_24V thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Did I Make The Wrong Choice?

I do like my Aisin trans, but it has its limits.

Not having the ability to tune it is a drawback.

I run the +90hp tune daily, not towing, and it shifts fine even when running it hard as long as it's warmed up.

The Aisin does not like to be pushed when it's cold.

Any more than that, and it does not like it.

You get shift flare in 3rd and 4th going into converter lock.

It does ok if I put in the +150hp tune and get on it above 45 or 50 mph.

So it seems to be problematic on the first four gears, at least on mine.

I mistakenly left the +90hp tune in it towing my 10k lb 5'er one time, and under medium acceleration, it felt like it was going to drop the driveline out of it every shift.

I always tow on the +30hp and no issues.

I am around the 500hp range with the +90hp tune with the mods I have, so I doubt you will have many issues unless there is something different between model years.

2018 Ram 3500 (Aisin) Laramie 4X4 CCSB White/Silver.
    2018 Mustang GT Lightning Blue 6 spd manual.
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Just a note - The 68RFE is NOT Necessarily Trash - If Serviced Properly & Driven by a Civilized Human being with Common Sense! (Today World - Common Sense is NOT Common)
    Granted - driven off the assembly line - It is not in the Most Ideal Condition - for long-distance Med to Heavy Towing!

With a few simple mods and proper tuning, the 68RFE can be an excellent transmission.

The first Mod will be to delete that stupid Thermal inline ATF Thermostat by-pass - With a Thermal by-pass delete block - if you don't live and drive in Artic Weather year-round.

Next would be a high-quality Valve Body with the proper quality tuning.

Then running a high-quality True / 100%, ATF+4 certified ATF - along with a proper routine service interval - according to your driving style/habits! = Very Important!

Sorry to High Jack! Not My Intention! My Deepest Apologies

Happy Holidays to You & Yours!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jort2750 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm picking up my new 2022 RAM 3500 HO SRW in 2 weeks.

Due to several people telling me the 68RFE is trash, I ended up getting the 3500 for the Aisin trans (even though I won't be towing heavy anytime soon).

Are you Aisin guys happy with the way it shifts?

I want the truck to be 500hp daily eventually with the occasional towing.
    I agree with all the replies above.

I am happy with my Aisin and how it shifts, both when everyday street driving empty and when pulling my 14K fifth wheel.

You should be just fine unless, as @Aboshan pointed out, there is a difference in the newer model years.

Please keep us posted, and congratulations!

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks Jort2750, IGOTACUMMINS, Chris_24V thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Mine is a G56, but my manual shifts are SO SLOW!!!

The ZF-5 was a king in the old ford's; even the ZF-6 was an excellent shifting tranny for standards (although gears were mere microns apart), but the G56 is like shifting two tons of lead.

I often wish I would have gotten an automatic, but here we are.

Of all the 500 hp Aisins on here, how many have failed?

And how many catastrophic failures?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Chris_24V thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I disagree with the 68RFE being a good or even decent transmission.

I currently own a deleted 2019 3500 DRW and tow at the upper end of the truck.

I don't hot rod the truck and always watch the temp.

If I felt the transmission was in too much of a pull, I would slow down then downshift to protect the transmission.

Transmission temps have never exceeded acceptable temps, and still, it broke!

I am not a fan of this transmission.

I am in the process of purchasing an ATS Allison Conversion because I don't trust the 68 and never will.

I am not trying to be condescending to anyone but believe that Chrysler should be investing in a worthwhile dependable standard transmission.

I have a fleet of RAM 5500's and the Aisin transmissions can be clunky but never has one let me down!

I also had one in a 2017 Titan XD, and the Aisin was always consistent and dependable.

The last thing I ever worry about with the Aisin is the transmission.

I am leaning towards the ATS Allison due to the beef and smoothness that they are known for.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    Just a note - The 68RFE is NOT Necessarily Trash - If Serviced Properly & Driven by a Civilized Human being with Common Sense! (Today World - Common Sense is NOT Common)
    Granted - driven off the assembly line - It is not in the Most Ideal Condition - for long-distance Med to Heavy Towing!

With a few simple mods and proper tuning, the 68RFE can be an excellent transmission.

The first Mod will be to delete that stupid Thermal inline ATF Thermostat by-pass - With a Thermal by-pass delete block - if you don't live and drive in Artic Weather year-round.

Next would be a high-quality Valve Body with the proper quality tuning.

Then running a high-quality True / 100%, ATF+4 certified ATF - along with a proper routine service interval - according to your driving style/habits! = Very Important!

Sorry to High Jack! Not My Intention! My Deepest Apologies

Happy Holidays to You & Yours!
    This is spot on and closely mirrors my 68RFE.

Bought new in 2015 trans serviced at 60k mile intervals and deleted and tuned with DRD at 100,001 miles.

Thermostatic bypass was installed at that time and continued the same service schedule which is now 240+k miles.

35" tires, lots of mountains, lots of heavy towing, and a whole bunch of tearing up the roads.

I'm not saying the 68RFE is an engineering marvel, it has its drawbacks but it is not complete trash.

If towing heavy manually downshift to 4 under light load before beginning up a hill.

The 68RFE will withstand a considerable amount of mild abuse.

All of my Ford friends trashed on my 68RFE but all of them have already replaced their Ford trannys with $8k built units less than 100k miles!

I run around most days on the max tune and I rarely change tunes unless towing.

Hope this gives some perspective.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post