Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  36
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Bypass Kit?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Oil Bypass Kit?

I tried searching but oddly couldn’t find anything.

Do you have any thoughts on whether or not adding an Amsoil Bypass Kit for an extra filter is worth it?

I change the oil regularly (every 5000 K) and use Rotella synthetic 5/40.

Trucks have been entirely deleted and have a FASS System.

Thanks for your feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only practical use for that pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should not have dropped in the first place!!

2012 Ram 3500 6.7 HO Black QC SB - Full EGR/DPF Delete, 4" Flow Pro Turbo Back - FASS Titanium 150 with sump and fuel heater - Awesome Double R Tune

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Oil Bypass Kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post

Do you have any thoughts on whether or not adding an Amsoil Bypass Kit for an extra filter is worth it?

Personally, if you change the oil every 5k, I wouldn’t waste the money on a bypass kit.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, SyN, nitsuj08 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I run the Amsoil EaBP90 bypass oil filter and change my oil (T6) every 10,000 miles. I agree with watersupply189 if you change your oil every 5,000 miles then it’s not going to be cost effective. I guess you could replace the bypass filter every other oil change, but personally I don’t like the idea of adding fresh oil and then mixing it with a quart of dirty oil. I just like the extra filtration and the longer intervals, that could also be stretched out further with oil analysis.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks watersupply189, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I have a bypass filter on my truck, and I run the power-driven diesel 15w40 in my truck.

The advantage to this oil is the tremendous amount of ZDDP they put in it.

I replaced the regular filter at routine intervals and topped the system off with about a quart of new oil to replace the old filter.

I have not had to change the oil in quite a while.

I sent a sample to Blackstone, and they told me if the oil needed changing.

I have about 18,000 miles on this fill.

I haven't changed the bypass filter yet but have my reminder set to either 50,000 miles or one year, whatever comes first.

I check the flow coming out of the return periodically to make sure the flow is still strong, but these systems are such low flow anyway that the filter would have to be pretty clogged to slow it that much.

I can even tell a little bit of a visual difference in the oil.

Don't get me wrong, it is still black, but it isn't as deep of a black, if that makes sense.

It also doesn't stain my hands like it did before the bypass was installed.

2012 RAM 2500 Crew Cab SLT 6.7L.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, nitsuj08 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by f18framer View Post
    I have a bypass filter on my truck, and I run the power-driven diesel 15w40 in my truck.

The advantage to this oil is the tremendous amount of ZDDP they put in it.

I replaced the regular filter at routine intervals and topped the system off with about a quart of new oil to replace the old filter.

I have not had to change the oil in quite a while.

I sent a sample to Blackstone, and they told me if the oil needed changing.

I have about 18,000 miles on this fill.

I haven't changed the bypass filter yet but have my reminder set to either 50,000 miles or one year, whatever comes first.

I check the flow coming out of the return periodically to make sure the flow is still strong, but these systems are such low flow anyway that the filter would have to be pretty clogged to slow it that much.

I can even tell a little bit of a visual difference in the oil.

Don't get me wrong, it is still black, but it isn't as deep of a black, if that makes sense.

It also doesn't stain my hands like it did before the bypass was installed.
    Sounds good; one nice thing even if the bypass filter were to get plugged entirely, the system would default to the regular factory flow through the standard oil filter.

Not sure what bypass filter you are using, but I see a difference in the oil color, much lighter than before.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Once deleted - I have future plans on adding the Amsoil (Single Stage) by-pass kit & probably mounting it on the passenger side frame rail. - but - Not until deletion is taken place (Just too much soot being absorbed into the crankcase) - thus the reason for my short 5-7K mile OCI.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies and advice so far.

I appreciate it!

It sounds like, knowing that any additional filtration is a good thing, taking into account my regular short interval oil changes and the 900.00 it would cost installed, this may not be the best bang for the buck in the upgrade department.

Does anyone think I’m off base or missing something?

The only practical use for that pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should not have dropped in the first place!!

2012 Ram 3500 6.7 HO Black QC SB - Full EGR/DPF Delete, 4" Flow Pro Turbo Back - FASS Titanium 150 with sump and fuel heater - Awesome Double R Tune

14. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    Once deleted - I have future plans on adding the Amsoil (Single Stage) by-pass kit & probably mounting it on the passenger side frame rail. - but - Not until deletion is taken place (Just too much soot being absorbed into the crankcase)
    Absolutely and I agree, a great idea not to mount the filter to the engine.

Been there and done that, the 1/4” steel bracket only lasted about a month before metal fatigue broke it.

Frame rail mounting is the way to go.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies and advice so far.

I appreciate it!

It sounds like, knowing that any additional filtration is a good thing, taking into account my regular short interval oil changes and the 900.00 it would cost installed, this may not be the best bang for the buck in the upgrade department.

Does anyone think I’m off base or missing something?

I have the Sinister bypass kit.

It mounts to the motor, but that thing has been on there about a year now, and it still looks brand new.

You could install it yourself for half that cost, and it uses the same Amsoil filter.

It also has an extra output port to make into a sampling port if you want to do that.

It is only two lines and takes maybe an hour or two.

2012 RAM 2500 Crew Cab SLT 6.7L.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, SyN liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by f18framer View Post
    I have the Sinister bypass kit.

It mounts to the motor, but that thing has been on there about a year now, and it still looks brand new.

You could install it yourself for half that cost, and it uses the same Amsoil filter.

It also has an extra output port to make into a sampling port if you want to do that.

It is only two lines and takes maybe an hour or two.
    Thanks for that.

Maybe I’ll re-look into it then and, more importantly, try to find a YouTube video on the install.

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast