Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  33

Thread: P0652 Code - Exhaust Brake Sputtering?

1. Top Of Page | #1

P0652 Code - Exhaust Brake Sputtering?

Hey everyone, so I am at a loss.

I am getting a CEL with a code of “P0652 - ECM - Sense Reference Volt 2 Circ Lo” doing a quick search online states that it could be two things.

It could be a weak battery or a crank sensor, so obviously, that is not hard, but what is throwing me off is that I get that.

Then right around the same time this occurred, the truck started loping or sputtering with the exhaust brake where when I am driving and let off its not one solid single exhaust brake application.

Still, there is one reliable exhaust brake to several sputters until it gets below about 20 or 30 mph than at the slower speed.

These two things have me at a complete loss, are they related or two separate things? TIA.

Truck Info:
    2014 RAM 2500 6.7 L Stock - EGR and DEF Delete, Throttle Valve Delete

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: P0652 Code - Exhaust Brake Sputtering?

You have a 5V sensor reference problem.

This attachment will help you troubleshoot the issue.

Please keep us posted.

P0652.pdf

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN, countryboy92 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

Hey, so I was about to get started to look into this problem when I noticed someone said to check the connectors, so I figured that is quick and easy to do, so I did and saw this burn end connector.

Honestly, I am unsure what it goes to, but it is located on the passenger side near the firewall and is an empty connector after some weight reduction.

Could this be the cause of the issue?

TIA.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy92 View Post
    Hey, so I was about to get started to look into this problem when I noticed someone said to check the connectors, so I figured that is quick and easy to do, so I did and saw this burn end connector.

Honestly, I am unsure what it goes to, but it is located on the passenger side near the firewall and is an empty connector after some weight reduction.

Could this be the cause of the issue?

TIA.

Yes, most likely.

Since the connector is ruined, I would just cut it off where the wires are not damaged.

Make sure all the wires are insulated and secured away from the exhaust manifold.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, countryboy92 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

So cut the connector out completely back before the wires got burnt and just cap them basically?

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy92 View Post
    So cut the connector out completely back before the wires got burnt and just cap them basically?
    Yes.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, countryboy92 thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

How did you make out?

I am thinking one of those wires was pink with a yellow stripe (5V supply) shorted to the ground.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, countryboy92 thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

So after removing the plug and everything and driving around for a week (drove a hundred miles or so), it is fixed!

Removing the plug fixed the CEL and the electronic throttle service message.

Thanks for the help.

16. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Great News!

Awesome work, Bob.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, countryboy92 thanked for this post