Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Steering Drag Link Recall (19V-021) - 2013-2017 4x4 2500/3500 - Info/Fix

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Steering Drag Link Recall (19V-021) - 2013-2017 4x4 2500/3500 - Info/Fix

So I recently had to replace my drag link outer due to the ball joint wearing almost to failure.

Turns out the fix for this recall welds the jam nuts to the adjustment barrel.

As you can imagine, this makes for a not-so-fun time when trying to replace or adjust.

See links for recall information and the official fix that is being used on the drag link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...nfl2IBSyS21fGW

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...xrYKBiOe3yGB6r

Initially, I wanted to replace the outer section without removing the inner, so I got under the truck and v ground a weld off with an angle grinder.

Still, I discovered the left and right ends were keyed into each other inside the barrel adjust nut, so the whole thing had to come off.

The inner connection to the pitman arm was frozen on even without being rusted.

Penetrating oil, heat, rivet gun, one broken tie rod removal fork, and a bunch of frustration later, it was off.

After I cleaned up the welds (these guys went to town with the welds, they were deep and long, a ton of overkill) and replaced the part, I ended up using an aviation industry safetying practice to retain the jam nuts .032 stainless steel safety wire.

I think this is a solid, reliable way to keep them from spinning loose if they back off.

You can get this on Amazon for around $15/roll or use something like baling wire.

I used a #50 drill bit and popped a hole through the meat of the nuts and barrel nut to have a place to anchor.

Sprayed with amsoil HD metal protect(isn't shown in the pics, but their product is a penetrating waxy hard coating like Ardrox AV15 but half the price... If you're living in winter salt areas this will keep it from rusting for at least two years).

See attached pics.

One of these nuts is the reverse thread; that caused a headache I didn't even want to talk about when trying to remove it.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Steering Drag Link Recall (19V-021) - 2013-2017 4x4 2500/3500 - Info/Fix

Ha Ha.

The ole safety wire trick.

It was nicely done with the requisite 7-13 strands per inch!

Carry on, Sir!

4. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Jexxr liked this post