Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  35

Thread: Leaking Fuel!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Leaking Fuel!

I hope someone can help me.

I run a 2014 RAM 2500 MegaCab.

I just performed the fuel filter change and the fuel/water separator change as well.

This is my third or 4th time doing it, so not a noob at this part.

The only thing different was I added Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost in the tank as the truck has over 160,000 miles.

I also added Diesel Kleen Winterizer/Anti-gel as I’m getting ready to drive in the colder weather.

I changed the fuel filters and started her up just fine. The truck sat for a couple of days, then this morning, I started her up in 40-degree weather.

I noticed a bunch of fuel on the Driveway leaking.

I looked underneath, and it was dark, so I couldn’t figure out exactly where it was coming from.

The first thing I did was shut her off and decided to tighten the black plastic cap that you unscrew to remove the fuel filter under the hood (the 1 1/8” size one).

It seemed to help. It went down to a drop, pretty much done.

However, drove to work and checked underneath again; not a leak but just a pin drop of a drop.

I can’t tell where it’s coming from now. But I saw this:

Does anyone know what this is?

And it looks like something is missing over this small plastic tube because it has an opening?

I’m also thinking of removing the black fuel filter cap and checking the o-ring to make sure it didn’t get linked, and that’s what could be causing the leak.

So I guess this is a double question, what part is missing from this photo, and do you think I should unscrew and check the large o-ring?

Kind thanks for your help

Alex

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Leaking Fuel!

Quote Originally Posted by Achernan28 View Post

I just performed the fuel filter change and the fuel/water separator change as well.

The only thing different was I added Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost in the tank as the truck has over 160,000 miles.

I also added Diesel Kleen Winterizer/Anti-gel as I’m getting ready to drive in the colder weather.

I changed the fuel filters and started her up just fine. The truck sat for a couple of days, then this morning, I started her up in 40-degree weather.

I looked underneath, and it was dark, so I couldn’t figure out exactly where it was coming from.

The first thing I did was shut her off and decided to tighten the black plastic cap that you unscrew to remove the fuel filter under the hood (the 1 1/8” size one).

However, drove to work and checked underneath again; not a leak but just a pin drop of a drop.

And it looks like something is missing over this small plastic tube because it has an opening?

I’m also thinking of removing the black fuel filter cap and checking the o-ring to make sure it didn’t get linked, and that’s what could be causing the leak.

So I guess this is a double question, what part is missing from this photo, and do you think I should unscrew and check the large o-ring?

Alex
    Is that your starter we are looking at?

If so then it looks like a vent type tube.

As for your front filter leaking, yes check that rubber O ring.

If it’s not seated just right in the groove, it will “pooch” out when tightening the cap.

I had that happen on the backside next to the engine.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Electrojake, IGOTACUMMINS, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Agree, check the “O” ring on the fuel filter in the engine compartment and filter drain valve.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Achernan28 View Post

Alex
    The tube shown in your photo is the starter vent tube and should not be plugged.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I appreciate the responses.

I’ve tightened the cap, and it hasn’t leaked all afternoon/evening.

If anything changes, I’ll let you know.

I guess it is my starter and the vent tube.

I looked underneath my neighbor’s 2015, and that tube had a small clear cover on it.

Thanks again,
    Alex

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, SyN thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6
    Let's Go BRANDON!!! Patriot MotorSports's Avatar

User Info Menu

Here's a little trick when putting a new filter in.

Apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly to the cap threads and the mating surface to help the o-ring glide to place and not bind.

If you give it a little bit of "slide," it will seat just fine and not catch the cap causing a bind and disrupted seal.

12. Thanks SyN, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Don't over-tighten the cap.

The factory plastic ones can crack.

When you Tighten it, there is no reason to Tighten it hard and fast.

I usually dip the new o ring in diesel then put it on.

The vent may have had a plastic tube on it to protect crud and water going in.

It may also have a mesh screen or baffle built-in, but IDK I think Denso starters are in our trucks.

Here is a replacement vent tube.

Look up.

LarryB's 71-82312 Vent tube

Edit oops, I thought that was for the 6.7 engine, but it's for the 5.9L Cummins.

They don't sell one for the 6.7L Cummins.

Last edited by DIESELWRKS; 11-22-2021 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Add
    2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Just a note - since plastic has been well known (documented) to kind of change its molecular structure over time (Being Heated Up & Cooled off) over hundreds of times - it slowly becomes somewhat brittle (weak).

Thus the reason to possibly over time - replace with new or change to a billet aluminum cap.

My point is - Thinking out loud - I was told to wait till the engine sits overnight before removing the cap (I want the cap to be ambient temp). - 60-90*F.

I tend to do this front filter change during the end of the summer (before the winter temps arrive).

I want the plastic to be at least above 60*F.

Yes, I do lubricate the crap out of the O-Ring itself as well as the threads within the cap.

Some/Most might think this is stupid - but I work with this plastic crap @ work every day, and Ambient Temp affects the structure of plastic more than most will believe & over time, this heating and cooling cycle will significantly weaken the design of the plastic (causing cracking and leaks).

Just my thoughts & opinions.

Thus the main reason why after all my long road drives - when I arrive home and park in the garage - I will pop my hood and leave open with a fan blowing into the engine bay to get rid of the heat - due to ALL the plastic within the engine bay.

This will also benefit the rubber hoses as well. (Maybe even the rubber belt).

Mind You - I have plans on Keeping The JUDGE - many years well beyond payoff!

Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Be done with it and buy a Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter conversion kit.

I did the front and rear conversion on mine and will eventually get around to dropping a Fleece Drop in-tank lift pump.

No FASS or AirDog and no sump for me.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post