Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: P0506 - P0507 Surging At Idle

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

P0506 - P0507 Surging At Idle

So I noticed one day after it started getting cold out that I could hear a surge while the wife was letting the truck warm up, no codes at the time, so I let it go.

Still, after about a month, on my way home from work, I noticed it had gotten worse and threw two codes, one for idle speed high and one for low.

Turbo vanes also got hung open for a bit as I tried to leave.

I rebuilt the turbo when I did the head gasket (20k ago) and was not afraid to pull it off to clean it, but would that also cause my idle issue?

It’s a slight increase in RPM, maybe 50-100 rpm.

Thinking it is fuel-related, but it’s also time for new batteries.

Not sure where to start, will change filters (have 3500 miles on them) monitor rail pressure to see if it changes at the same time, just looking for ideas on where to start or if anyone has had this problem before, the truck doesn’t get drove much, work at a sand mine and prefer to keep it clean.

Still, the other truck was down at the time 2013 RAM 2500 with 130k miles.

2013 2500 tradesman ccsb leveled 35’s 20x10 Tis 544’s 167k miles Raceme ultra, gutted factory intake, stainless intake ram, grid heater delete, exotic head studs, ddp 90hp injectors, II CP3, bmp 150gph lift pump,stock air, 5” turbo back with 8” tip, custom rear bumper, trifold bed cover, bd separator plate and sonnex shift kit in trans

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: P0506 - P0507 Surging At Idle

The batteries are an excellent place to start.

Load tests them individually.

Also, check your turbo actuator.

It could be time to replace it.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: P0506 - P0507 Surging At Idle

Batteries load-tested low probably a year ago, just haven’t coughed up the money, does fine until it gets really cold, then get the battery saver mode, plan to replace them before spending money on anything else,

I just wondered if it was something else I’ve missed, It runs great outside of warming up at idle, but thanks for the help,

I’ll make sure to change them before looking into anything else.

That was also the first time the turbo froze, so I was thinking clean it and replacing the actuator if it’s bad.

2013 2500 tradesman ccsb leveled 35’s 20x10 Tis 544’s 167k miles Raceme ultra, gutted factory intake, stainless intake ram, grid heater delete, exotic head studs, ddp 90hp injectors, II CP3, bmp 150gph lift pump,stock air, 5” turbo back with 8” tip, custom rear bumper, trifold bed cover, bd separator plate and sonnex shift kit in trans

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post