Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: U001: HI Speed CanBus Random Codes

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

U001: HI Speed CanBus Random Codes

Ok, first, I have read several threads and followed their advice before posting.

I am just looking for any input before I take any more steps if someone thinks of something I have missed.

I have a 2013 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie.

I recently purchased this truck and got an immaculate truck with 123k miles on it.

The previous owner threw a U0001 code and `U0212 lost comm with steering column code the day before picking up the truck.

He assumed that the clock spring was bad and replaced it.

He informed me of this before I purchased it.

About three days after buying it, I got a CEL light, and the code U0001 and various other codes have come up over the last few weeks.

Here is the background:

The truck has a RaceME Ultra tuner, and it is deleted.

When I got the truck, he had a cap on it, and it was rubbing on the read cab light and camera unit, so he removed it and put it in a factory blank.

We have learned that this camera unit is on the Hi-Speed Can, causing a dash warning of brake light out.

I have since sold the cap and reinstalled the camera module he gave me.

The dash warning is gone.

The truck has two new batteries that I have had load tested, and they test good and are the correct ones for the truck.

I have cleaned all the battery cables, the ground to the body and frame, and the crossover cable between the positive batteries terminals.

I pulled the TIPM out, removed the connectors on the back, and inspected the pins for corrosion.

They are clean.

RaceME has had me disconnect the batteries for 30 minutes (I did an hour) and then reconnect and reprogram the ECM with a battery charger connected to the driver-side battery.

This has been done.

All of the above has dramatically improved and reduced the frequency of the U0001 code, but I still get it once in a while.

I've been paying close attention to what happens. While driving, the first thing I will get is the TPMS light for low tire pressure.

This is interesting because the DRW in 2013 did not have TPMS. I only get this light for a moment when the steering wheel is turned to the left any amount.

It never occurs when going straight ahead or to the right.

After several TPMS light flashes (always with the wheel either slightly or significantly turned left), It will turn on the CEL and have only the code U0001: Hi-Speed Can-Bus.

The light flashing happens more if the steering wheel is turned 90 degrees to the left or more.

It only happens occasionally when the wheel is slight to the left.

My mind has me back to the clock spring module. It is brand new, but I do not know if it might be defective or a problem installing it.

Since I only seem to get the light flash and bong when the wheel is to the left, I can't think of any other item that would be steering wheel specific.

If anyone has any thoughts, I surely appreciate your input.

Otherwise, I will have the clock spring module replaced and hope that is the source of my gremlin.

Thanks again,

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: U001: HI Speed CanBus Random Codes

Next bit of info.

It only seems to throw and warning or light once it is warmed up.

Never when it is first started or driven after a few minutes of idle time.

This makes me think it could just be a dirty connection under the hood that warms up and starts dropping out.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: U001: HI Speed CanBus Random Codes

Did you find the problem causing this issue?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post