Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  17

Thread: Code P0148 - Massive Fuel Leak Behind Filter Housing

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Exclamation Code P0148 - Massive Fuel Leak Behind Filter Housing

'06 3500 5.9L Megacab 295k miles
    - no aftermarket mods other than cold air intake.
    - prior owner had a programmer but nothing on it currently (has EGT port still).
    - strong engine and has been a great runner.

I did a short run to the dump, and on the return trip, I could smell diesel.

When stopping had smoke came out from the hood.

Getting back to the house, I had a trail of diesel along the road into my driveway.

I am looking for input from those who know the fuel system better and are interested in upgrading it to make it more solid and stable.

I tried to assess where the leak was coming from and sprayed from behind the fuel filter area somewhere towards the firewall.

The engine ran fine while driving it back to the house.

This makes me think it must be on the return fuel line or a crack in the filter; however, this is a significant leak.

Fuel soaked the entire side of that engine bay.

I threw code P0148 about 5 minutes after smelling diesel fuel while driving.

It got too dark out to see much.

I will be looking for cracks or return line feed connector breakage tomorrow.

Sidenotes:
    The truck has 295k miles on it with a stock fuel filter and lifts pump (far as I can tell...never been replaced).

I have had an issue with the truck over the last 1-1.5 years when climbing a long hill with a long decline.

After hillcrest and decline for a minute, the limp mode indicator (dash spring looking light) will throw the limp mode indicator, and truck response is slightly less with performance but seems OK.

The only way to correct this is to reset error codes.

In searching the forum, I found some discussions about fuel issues I had with power decrease and the spring-looking dash light.

That made me think it's time to upgrade to an Airdog or FASS fuel filter pump system. Also might drop the fuel tank and look at the pump and filter to see if there's a blockage.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Code P0148 - Massive Fuel Leak Behind Filter Housing

Are you saying the stock filter and lift pump have never been replaced, or just the lift pump has never been replaced?

If you're referring to just the lift pump when was the last time the fuel filter had been replaced?

I had a 12Valve one time that sprung a leak right behind the filter and sprayed everywhere that you described.

I remember that it was a little rubber line about an inch or so long, and that was a bear to replace.

Please keep us posted on what you find.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Collin42, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

The fuel filter was replaced about 6 months ago.

I was referring to the lift pump and filter housing being stock.

I am digging into this now to see what I find.

Now that I'm in there, I'm thinking about putting in an aftermarket system like Airdog or FASS, but I don't know what GPM flow I should get.

Another concern I have with external fuel filter/pump systems is they typically sit outside the engine bay, and in freezing weather (like in Montana), that whole system will need its heater source.

6. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

So I found the issue! Cylinder #4 injector line replacement.

On the first attempt at this, I really could not figure out where the leak came from since everything was drenched in diesel.

I took the time to wipe things down with paper towels and then wrapped paper towels around the in/out fuel lines and then around injector lines.

Cranked it over long enough to get the pressure build-up (wouldn't start - it recognized the fuel loss) and found the paper towel around line #4 injector got sprayed.

Here's a pic of the old and new line.

Couldn't see any cracks in the old line, but it was definitely leaking from the tip grommet area when under pressure.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Nice job.

I'm pleased to hear you found the leak and got her fixed.

Great idea with the paper towels, definitely don't want your hands around that high-pressure fuel leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Glad you found the leak, and all is good now.

Thanks for the update.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

12. Likes AK Bob liked this post