Thanks Thanks:  107
Likes Likes:  318
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: It Has Begun - 2018 RAM 2500 "Low Carb" Lifestyle

1. Top Of Page | #61

User Info Menu

Re: It Has Begun - 2018 RAM 2500 "Low Carb" Lifestyle

FIXED: Leak at the front EGR cooler block off - I took the nuts off the plate and saw the soot right away on the left stud.

The problem was the plates that I was using which I thought were great initially (Mayhem Metal Fabrications) are too thin, so they provide a steel washer to use under the nut when tightened down, which catches on the non threaded portion of the EGR cooler stud and bottoms out so you aren't able to torque them down as much as you need to - it is a bad design - if he made them thicker like the rest of the Chinese kits they would work perfect, they really are machined well it is just the thickness and the use of washers to make up for it that is the design.

On the 15 min ride home from my local diesel shop, windows up, music on, using Full Exhaust Brake, I literally thought I was driving a stock truck again, it was that nice in the cab! 30" FTE resonator for the win for sure - again if I started towing I'd probably want to tone it down some when loaded up, but for unloaded driving its perfect.

I am probably going to replace the other plates too as it will bother me to know that I had one with a failure - my shop said just leave them if they aren't leaking but I'm OCD like that.

2. Thanks AK Bob, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, CrazyTrain liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #62

User Info Menu

Glad you got it figured out man.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #63

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_bobby View Post
    2018 with 22k miles - running great but making my final payment next month, so that title will be in hand.

Ordered FLO~PRO SS1874 exhaust (with muffler) and a GDP EGR removal kit to start.

I will order my MM3 from Ray once I'm ready to tackle the mechanicals (and to maximize his support should I need any for the first 60 or 90 days that it may be)

Remaining items to acquire:
    • -30" FTE Resonator and muffler delete pipe (for the $40 the muffler delete pipe costs, I do want to listen to the FTE by itself vs. combined with the muffler in the FLO~PRO kit)
    • -GDP Air Boss Grid Heater Delete
    • -GDP Mega Flo TVM (grid heater relocate to throttle valve)
    • -Shibby Plug kit (from DRD)
    • -MBRP T5053BLK 5" exhaust tip
    • -MM3 Tuner with 30hp tune (I'm just going one power level to set it and forget it)
    Congrats!!!

2018 3500 Laramie DRW 4:10

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #64

User Info Menu

So it's been a few weeks, and the truck is still running great.

The only thing I may complain about is it possible @DRD to refine the trans tuning to where it holds gears longer, similar to operating in Tow/Haul mode?

I can tell the trans has settled down after the relearn because I notice when driving around town (40-55 mph roads) that if I'm not applying enough throttle and just cruising, the truck will go into 6th at 50mph, which leaves me under 1200rpm and feels like its lugging.

Yes, I could use Tow/Haul mode, but my problem is that the downshifts get harsher than I'd like as I don't have a load on the hitch.

I am just curious how much refinement can be done with the trans tuning even if I lock 6th out driving around town, it's annoying to do, and I find that it wants to go in 5th at 40mph, which is also a similar annoyance.

If possible, I'd like to hold the 4-5 shift until 50mph and the 5-6 shift until around 60mph (on Tow/Haul, it's probably somewhere around 65mph for 6th and 55mph for 5th).

If I had different gearing like 3.73's or 4.10's, I probably wouldn't notice it as bad as the tire would have more mechanical advantage of torque, but 3.42 gears being in 6th under 50mph is annoying.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #65

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_bobby View Post
    So it's been a few weeks, and the truck is still running great.

The only thing I may complain about is it possible @DRD to refine the trans tuning to where it holds gears longer, similar to operating in Tow/Haul mode?

I can tell the trans has settled down after the relearn because I notice when driving around town (40-55 mph roads) that if I'm not applying enough throttle and just cruising, the truck will go into 6th at 50mph, which leaves me under 1200rpm and feels like its lugging.

Yes, I could use Tow/Haul mode, but my problem is that the downshifts get harsher than I'd like as I don't have a load on the hitch.

I am just curious how much refinement can be done with the trans tuning even if I lock 6th out driving around town, it's annoying to do, and I find that it wants to go in 5th at 40mph, which is also a similar annoyance.

If possible, I'd like to hold the 4-5 shift until 50mph and the 5-6 shift until around 60mph (on Tow/Haul, it's probably somewhere around 65mph for 6th and 55mph for 5th).

If I had different gearing like 3.73's or 4.10's, I probably wouldn't notice it as bad as the tire would have more mechanical advantage of torque, but 3.42 gears being in 6th under 50mph is annoying.
    We set the trans tuning the best we can to provide some degree of economy and some degree of performance.

With the lack of mapping in the tuning software and the inability to data log all trans functions, we leave our trans tuning as is.

We have tried some fine custom trans tuning in times past, but there are too many revisions and back and forth, creating a bottleneck in my lack of time to help everyone.

Custom shift points done remotely usually ends in more bad than good.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

10. Thanks AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #66

User Info Menu

I can understand that completely.

With that in mind, I may invest in regearing after all down the line.

I recall when I used to run in Tow/Haul a lot.

I remember I did see a fuel economy decrease; then again, that was before deleting and tuning, so I may try it again; it's just the downshifting tends to be harsher, like I said, since the truck is unloaded.

I understand there is only so much you can improve on a 68RFE.

Thanks!

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #67

User Info Menu

Here's my daily question 'is this normal?

I don't know if it's the crappy gearing on these trucks or something to do with trans tuning - twice now, I've gotten a 'shudder shift,' and it's only happened since tuning and the relearn.

I thought it was gone, but it still occasionally happens - under mild to medium throttle, and its usually when it goes 2-3, and then always wants to quickly do 3-4 shift, almost like the trans is trying to get caught up and get up a gear as soon as possible.

I only have 26k on the truck, and it never had a trailer or load on it, so at this point, I think it's just the factory gearing choice rearing its head.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #68

User Info Menu

^ I did read a lot of Ray's old posts on the converter lockup, etc., and I've found that, yes, it is normal.

Either live with it and rebuild etc., when it goes, or replace the TC and VB and try to make the best of it.

16. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #69

User Info Menu

So don't laugh.

I will report back with the results.

I ordered the GDP intake horn (this is not the laughing part as it's a beautiful, flow-proven piece) to go with my TVM throttle valve heater relocate and the grid delete plate.

I imagine it's a helpful modification more than some intakes.

I spoke to Ben @ GDP, and he's great, I explained what the truck is used for, and he said even in his experience,e he'd put one on a stock truck for a noticeable improvement.

And I ordered the Airraid intake tube (I have a dry AFE panel filter in stock Ram Airbox).

I did that one purely for aesthetics. I wouldn't say I like the corrugated factory tube, and this was the best of both worlds as I have a cleanable filter in the stock location.

I have a trip to the Smokies next week, so I may be able to report back after with any before/after results; I expect a mild power increase (less than 20hp) and throttle response up.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #70

Hey, there im also in eastern NC in the metropolis of Red Oak.

I have a 2021 with about 21k miles and want to do similar to what you have done to your truck.

Any regrets or anything you would do differently now?

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast