Thanks Thanks:  107
Likes Likes:  318
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: It Has Begun - 2018 RAM 2500 "Low Carb" Lifestyle

1. Top Of Page | #41

User Info Menu

Re: It Has Begun - 2018 RAM 2500 "Low Carb" Lifestyle

I called and spoke to Ken @ FLO~PRO (super nice guy) - cliff notes from conversation with him.

-The larger FTE (Twister) resonator is doing its job cutting the interior noise down as he and I agreed (and I have a great experience as I started with large FTE first with the large Flo Pro muffler).
    -The larger Flo Pro muffler included in the kits is much quieter than the units they used to provide in their kits, so the combo bringing it down to stock levels was not surprising as they used to include a smaller muffler and one that was less packed and they used to get a lot of complaints that the muffler was not doing much.
    -He said I can try the smaller muffler (20" overall length, part 7185 for stainless and 6185 for aluminized) for a 'best of both worlds' if I want it to be a little quieter than stock, because my ears are probably picking up higher frequencies that are not cancelled out by the FTE/Twister, the Flo Pro muffler has packing that is absorbing and 'softening' sound waves so this is why the large muffler installed was so quiet, although it only did about 25% of the job (I estimate now running the FTE/Twister only, it cut down 75% of the drone and excess noise).
    -He also said I can try a smaller Twister in the muffler spot, but it might just end up cutting the interior down more, and not having the packing to 'soften' the frequencies that are bothering my ears with no muffler so its a risk to try it.

Like I said I'll drive a bit to the shop today, when I get my truck back I'll reevaluate.

I do think the frequencies are coming from under the seat so adding another resonator, or smaller muffler in that spot should do the trick, the FLO~PRO units are solid and well built and I would have no problem running one.

Either way I'll sell what I don't use as I'm sure there is someone who needs it.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #42

User Info Menu

Thanks, keep us updated once the EGR goes if it gets louder I intend to do the same soon, I already have the 30" FTE/MUFFLER is how they advertise it.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #43

User Info Menu

The 30" FTE Resonator did 80-90% of the job in the cab with the windows up.

It has a great tone outside, but it is still quiet enough for me to start my truck up in the garage and not worry about disturbing the house if I go out for takeout, etc. (most of the engine noises, injectors, etc. are louder).

I am picking up the truck today from my shop doing the EGR work, and the grid heater deletes for me, and I will report back if the truck gets louder from the removal of the EGR parts.

Like I said, its such a faint resonance, and its only right before shifts, so its almost a load-based sound I am picking up (but again, keep in mind that I spent the weekend going 300 miles to the beach and back and the truck was zero difference from stock except the tone was more profound at the tailpipe).

My shop also installed a $30 PPE freeze plug on the fuel rail?

He said it wasn't necessarily needed but wasn't any additional labor. It wouldn't hurt to do it, so I said sure, go ahead - he only mentioned doing it as I was deleting the grid heater to avoid failure, so it was more of a 'while they are in there' thing as apparently if the fuel pressure relief valve on the fuel rail failed again, they would have to do the same labor to get to it?

Normally I'd consider an add-on like that more of a sales thing, but for $30, it's not like they are making a lot of money on them LOL.

All in all:
    -Truck is running amazingly, shifting is much improved, and I no longer feel the need to use Tow/Haul to keep it from going into 6th gear at 40mph.
    -Shifts are smoothing out, so I think the relearn process has gone well.
    - I will keep updated once I get the truck back; perhaps a Revmax valve body is in my future.

6. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #44

User Info Menu

My wife only approves of the 30" FTE, and I do too.

I'm going to run it to the beach and back this weekend, but we took our son to the pool and drove around a bunch yesterday and she thinks the truck sounds good and doesn't notice anything in the cab that is bothersome noise-wise, so for now, I'm just going to enjoy

Happy to report- there is ZERO sound change with the EGR stuff gone; however, it is fantastic that must have been about 50lbs or more of parts removed in the engine bay.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #45

User Info Menu

When or if you run into issues down the road, I did some research for your next part that will take some coaxing with the lady!

https://djprecisionmachine.com/produ...ate-longblock/

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX, YUKON 4.56 GEARS W/ COVERS

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #46

User Info Menu

So I am waiting for confirmation from DRD whether I can comfortably start using EB and Tow/Haul again if I want to.

I turned it on briefly right before I got home, and the windows were down; HOLY CRAP, that thing squeeeeeeals!

If it squeals with the windows up, I may need to install that shorter muffler after all, LOL.

The truck is excellent, and I'm happy driving around (unloaded) with just the 30" FTE Resonator - if you tow, you will also want a short or full-size FLO~PRO muffler.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #47

User Info Menu

@AK Bob or the others here.

This piece is bolted on top of the cast iron metal radiator elbow, and it seems like thin metal can I remove it?

With the EGR cooler removed, I’m not sure what the purpose is, but the silver piece is an eyesore not sure if it’s functional

14. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #48

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_bobby View Post

This piece is bolted on top of the cast iron metal radiator elbow, and it seems like thin metal can I remove it?

With the EGR cooler removed, I’m not sure what the purpose is, but the silver piece is an eyesore not sure if it’s functional

I don’t see why you couldn’t?

It’s not covering a hole or anything.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #49

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_bobby View Post

Yes, with the EGR cross-over tube removed the thermostat housing heat shield is not necessary.

You can remove it or leave it in place and paint black.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #50

User Info Menu

Thanks, boys.

I like to keep my engine bay clean where I can.

I'll remove it and keep the bolts in the holes or get slightly larger black bolts

Now, if I can only get stainless hardware for my EGR block off (my shop reused the factory bolts).

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast