Thanks Thanks:  107
Likes Likes:  318
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: It Has Begun - 2018 RAM 2500 "Low Carb" Lifestyle

1. Top Of Page | #31

User Info Menu

Re: It Has Begun - 2018 RAM 2500 "Low Carb" Lifestyle

Mine is coming off a 25k mile truck and looked pretty good - I am reusing it, normally if I knew there wasn't a new one included I would have gotten a new OEM one - if it leaks I'll have it replaced

2. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #32

Glad you got it. I've manage to keep my OEM downpipe gasket in good shape for two re-uses so far. Let me know how you like the FTE & Flo Pro combo. I don't like drone so was concerned about only going with the resonator but it doesn't drone hardly at all for me but I haven't towed much with it yet. I've debated on adding the Flo Pro in during summer months when I'm towing a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_bobby View Post
    So this is what worked for me after about 2.5 hours total of exhaust removal and unplugging all connections -

-12in. Channel locks from Home Depot and lubricant
    -Separate the DPF and SCR completely, unbolt the DEF injector (to get more room, you'll see), remove the hanger on the frame holding the DPF (double rubber grommet and its bolted down) to get the max "flex" in the system -

get the DPF flange free and above the SCR flange - and start hammering the rear exhaust section back towards the rear of the truck to separate the rear section from the SCR -

There is just enough room to get the section free and lower the SCR down wards out of the rear exhaust - then you can slide the DPF off the downpipe and out, and then the rear exhaust can come off the hanger as there is enough room to 'push' it forward and out of the hanger - I tried for almost an hour there is just not enough room with the spare tire area to get the rear exhaust off the hanger intact -

With these methods all pieces were intact, I only mangled up the gasket between the SCR and DPF but if you ever needed to reinstall thats easy to fix -

Going to install my 30" FTE resonator and 4" Flo Pro exhaust now

John 16:33

2018 2500 Tradesman CTD Maximum Steel CC 4X4 - Thuren 2" with Fox, Barricade front bumper with Rigid D fogs, 20x9 +18 Mayhem Rampage, 275/65r20 Conti A/Ts, OEM projectors w/HIDs, OEM LED tails, nFab steps, BakFlip G2, Pioneer head w/ kicker speakers

4. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #33

User Info Menu

All done boys -

So I added the Flo Pro muffler with the resonator to start, because
    1- I don't feel like messing around with it any more today
    2- Going to the beach tomorrow and little man needs to nap on the way home so I can't 'make it quieter' from there

If its 'too quiet' (doubtful) with the FTE and Flo Pro, I can have the muffler removed next week as my truck is going in on Wednesday for EGR surgery, grid heater delete and the GDP TVM relocate kit and I'll have them go over the fitment of the exhaust at that time (in case the joints don't overlap enough etc)

I definitely got at least 3" or so of overlap on each joint and everything seemed to tighten down fine, the tailpipe sits level, just needs to be chopped back, but overall it went together 10x easier than removal -

I did not use either of the extension pipes that were provided in the Flo Pro kit (it says in the instructions one is for Mega Cab SB and one for Crew Cab LB) but I will bring them to the shop in case they think I didn't overlap enough at each joint and want to fine tune the fitment

Will report back on the drive over the weekend as I can, I will drive it easy with no Tow/Haul and no EB for a few hundred miles until the transmission has relearned properly

Oh and the Shibby plug kits - I assume they left some leftover plugs for the EGR? I feel like I only used half the kit - and btw @ AK Bob, the "silver *****" thing in the kit was a dummy filler for the DEF injector line, worked great to keep that covered -

I got everything off without a single part breaking or wire torn up, and just lost the SCR gasket, so I am pretty proud of myself in case I ever had to trade the truck in (again doubtful)

Thanks to all for the help and I'll get some pics up when I can

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #34

User Info Menu

If anyone's looking for feedback with the 30" FTE and the FLO~PRO muffler.

-My buddy who has the Flo Pro muffler only, my truck is definitely quieter than his at idle

-The 30" FTE does the trick, sounds completely stock in the cab with windows up

-If you were standing next to the drivers door at idle you would barely hear anything louder than stock

Basically the FLO~PRO muffler and the 30" FTE brings it about as quiet as can be I am debating removing the muffler when the truck goes in next week just to see how the 30" FTE alone is when I'm pulling in the garage its a 'touch' louder than stock, so I don't know how much I want to push it with additional db's outside the truck (the 30" FTE did exactly what it says, and what I wanted, inside).

My concern about noise was basically starting the truck up in the garage and it being super loud when my son is napping etc so that is why I had the muffler at the ready.

I've only driven around the block now to check for leaks and truck runs great at low speeds so when I go on the highway tomorrow, get a bit more load and rpm's to it.

I'll see if I want to 'add' some more oomph to the exhaust.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #35

User Info Menu

I haven't started my weight loss yet; just acquiring parts; I'm hoping the FTE 30" will be quite enough without a muffler.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #36

User Info Menu

@ricky_bobby

My apologies for chattering on during your thread.

It's not about me; it's you.

Sorry friend.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX, YUKON 4.56 GEARS W/ COVERS

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #37

User Info Menu

It’s all good, brother. I don’t mind the chit-chat!

So a few updates after 165 miles drive to the beaches of NC (the best in the country)

-Truck runs great! Shifting is improved even though I’m in the relearn.

-I will take the muffler off next week and run the 30” FTE by itself - right now, it’s stock even with the windows down (just a touch throatier at the tailpipe) - the FTE by itself makes the in-cabin-like stock - if I have to install a shorter muffler I will.

- I will hand calculate, but mpg seems to be up about 15% - my best tank is usually 540 miles (unloaded), and I am on track for an easy 600-610 - EVIC shows 640, so based on the mileage bump alone, I drive easy and unloaded, worth every penny

*30hp tune only

I hope the feedback helps everyone - I am deleting the grid heater and relocating it next week with GDP parts and going to delete the muffler at that time and getting physical EGR to delete, too - I will report back.

Note that I had zero corrosion on any fasteners, clamps, etc., I live in Central NC but make beach trips often, so I will say there is something to be said about trucks that don’t see Northern winters!

14. Top Of Page | #38

User Info Menu

So I pulled the FLO~PRO muffler and ran only with the 30" FTE.

I must be getting old, but I'm about to put a muffler back on.

Yes, the FTE by itself kills most of the in-cabin noise.

There is a 'resonance' if you will, before shifts or at higher rpm, which is hard to hide without a muffler; the muffler almost 'softens' the remaining tone up, and removing the muffler did not change the exterior DB much at all, it lets a bit of throatiness out, and that's about it.

I may try the shorter FLO~PRO muffler, but my ears are ringing a bit from just two short drives down the road; call me old, but the 30" FTE by itself does not make it 'stock quiet' inside the cab with the windows up.

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #39

User Info Menu

Thanks for the update; that tells me I need both FTE and muffler.

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  18. Top Of Page | #40

User Info Menu

Like I said, it's quiet with the 30" FTE compared to a straight pipe; I almost feel like I need something under the floor of the rear, though, if I install the large muffler in the FLO~PRO kit, it stock inside and out (my wife said going to the beach and back and being outside the truck at idle she noticed no difference to a stock truck).

I am going in for EGR delete today and want to see if that makes a difference (some say removing the EGR cooler lets more drone/noise in, I am not sure, but my ears are sensitive enough to say once I get the truck back).

If I was to add a muffler back on, my shop said the FLO~PRO's don't do much, so the shorter FLO~PRO probably wouldn't be worth the $140 or so to try (the larger muffler made a very small difference overall, I'd say 80% of the noise reduction is the FTE alone since that is all I have on now).

So they suggested the following if I decide after driving some more than the 30" FTE is not enough:
    -Add a 17" FTE where the muffler was
    -Try the Aeroturbine 4040 (20" length) muffler out

I will drive more today as I go to my shop to drop the truck off.

I'll make a final decision when I get it back with the EGR removed and see if anyone has experience with the Aero or should i add a 2nd FTE (although the shorter version).

19. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast