Thanks Thanks:  107
Likes Likes:  318
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: It Has Begun - 2018 RAM 2500 "Low Carb" Lifestyle

1. Top Of Page | #91

Re: It Has Begun - 2018 RAM 2500 "Low Carb" Lifestyle

IMHO, I would never consider going to 3.73.

It's a Diesel, makes massive torque, loves to eat down low, and you havesix6 gears to work with!

Heck, I would love to be able to have 3.23s if I could!

And I tow.

I made it a specific point to buy a truck with 3.55's after my prior experience with Cummins and Powerstroke trucks.

Remember, this is not a gasser; it's a diesel; let her eat!

Just an opinion from a new member, so I understand that it may not carry much weight, but I had a gazillion towing and empty miles on my old trusty P-pumped 2001 5.9L Cummins 24V with 3.55 gears and loved every minute of it.

If you tow heavy, drop a gear.

The low RPM cruise at 75 MPH is sweet if you are empty!

Kp

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #92

User Info Menu

I agree.

Gears are being left alone for my uses - unloaded, I get the best mileage empty with these gears.

I have installed a built VB and retuned for it, and I serviced my 68RFE since then and gotten 3.5" charge pipes installed.

Very happy overall and now just enjoying it.

29k miles, about to do my next oil service and both fuel filters, and just drive for a while.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #93

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zinopower View Post

It's a Diesel, makes massive torque, loves to eat down low, and you havesix6 gears to work with!

And I tow.

I made it a specific point to buy a truck with 3.55's after my prior experience with Cummins and Powerstroke trucks.

Just an opinion from a new member, so I understand that it may not carry much weight, but I had a gazillion towing and empty miles on my old trusty P-pumped 2001 5.9L Cummins 24V with 3.55 gears and loved every minute of it.

Kp
    You might be the first guy to say you want to go down in gearing, and you tow.

The 5th Gens comes with 3.73, and I'm glad they do.

My buddy 2015, with 3.42s on 35's towing, felt anemic.

So much so I couldn't understand the Cummins hype.

Previously was a Ford guy, but then I started doing the math with small gears, big tires, and 10k hooked to the truck.

No wonder it feels like a turd, and don't even mention pulling a decent incline

The mechanical advantage is where it's at, IMO.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #94

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zinopower View Post

And I tow.

Kp
    I'm no expert, but the concern is not that the engine needs help with power.

Regearing is for the benefit of the driveline and, more specifically, the trans.

All that torque is coming into the tranny, and if it's undergeared with a load behind it, something is bound to break eventually.

I'm on 37s, and I regeared to 4.10.

The effective gear ratio winds up being 3.67, which gives me some help while towing, but I don't suffer too much the rest of the time. (4.56 would have ended up giving me 4.09 in the end).

I tow a 5er that's around 15K lbs when all the toys are packed inside, and I'm very happy I paid for new gear.

2016 Ram 2500 Laramie, CC SB, Thuren leveling kit, Toyo AT3 37/12.5x18s, Method NV HDs, 4.10 AAM gears, Airlift bags/compressor

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #95

I understand in the case of you guys with huge tires.

Yes, do the math on your tire size and effective gear ratio.

I was referring to stock-size tires, in my case.

Kp

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910