Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: Tow/Haul Mode

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Tow/Haul Mode

I was talking to a fellow RAM owner about towing, and he told me when you used tow/haul mode, you were really only changing transmission shift points and not necessarily locking up the torque converter.

He said to use the steering wheel-mounted gear shift and manually lock into whatever towing gear you wanted to use, which I assume would be 6th.

Anyone knows this to be a fact?

2. Thanks SyN, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Tow/Haul Mode

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjim321 View Post
    I was talking to a fellow RAM owner about towing, and he told me when you used tow/haul mode, you were really only changing transmission shift points and not necessarily locking up the torque converter.

He said to use the steering wheel-mounted gear shift and manually lock into whatever towing gear you wanted to use, which I assume would be 6th.

Anyone knows this to be a fact?
    Yes, I would recommend using the “Tow Haul Mode” and manually shifting to lock-in 5th on long uphill climbs.

Keep an eye on your EGT’s and avoid lugging the engine.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks SyN, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I agree with Bob - 100%.

I use T/H mode and lock 6th gear out - though I never tow faster then 65mph - Kinda smart since my trailer tires @ proper operating temp are only rated to 65 mph.
    5th gear seems to keep the RPMs in the right spot @ 65 mph.

Granted, this might be a different story If I changed to 3.73 or 4.10s -- Just my thinking aloud.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I agree with Bob also.

White Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie, Tuned, 625 ARPs, Revmax transmission with a billet input shaft, billet flex plate, Revmax thermal bypass, Revmax deep pan, Revmax billet valve body,
    4600 shocks, Airdog 165, ARE shell, Line-X, ICT grid heater delete, Glacier diesel grid heater, stock size tires and wheels, stock suspension, mostly just a stock truck.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post