Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  130
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fuel Filters - Docs Diesel

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Fuel Filters - Docs Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    In today's time - 2-3X higher prices on parts and so many out of stocks due to (What Ever) Excuses!
    I am focused on Saving $$$$ in my own $$$ account (I have to Think of Me/Family First) instead of padding others whom are attempting to sell these (Same) Overpriced parts!
    No Disrespect to the more then handful of Awesome Vendors out there - I know most of their hands are tied to this issue!

I for one have been slowly stock piling - Air Filters / Oil Filters / Fuel Filters - before their prices continue to rise and availability is a bigger issue.
    I actually sold a couple of my stockpiled Lube Finer fuel filters (Sets) to a co-worker - due to local auto parts stores where low on stock and asking ridiculous $$ for what they had in stock and they were not Mopar/Fleetguard.

I did find on Ebay - a couple sellers whom offered the OEM Mopar H2O separator for $34 & $35 ea. (Free Shipping)
    One of the seller's just sent me an offer of $32 if I bought 2 - Yes I bought them!
    Also has the Front (Mopar) filter for $35. (Free Shipping) - probably going to buy a couple a month until I get a few on hand.
    As long as the sellers have them in stock.

@cgunter73 - I have a similar set up - so I don't have to change the Front Engine Mounted pop in filter every 10-15K miles - she is more of a Polisher Filter now.
    So I service it every 25K miles - the back 2 --> work horse filters - I service every 15K miles.

My Luber Finer - jobbers can't even get the fuel filters @ this point - I just installed my last set.

Going forward - Donaldson & Baldwin will be my choices for the rear spin-on & the Mopar (H20 Separator) as long as I can keep getting them for $32-$35.
    Or I could Easily purchase the complete set of PTC filters (H20 Sep & Front Filter) of of ebay ($59) free shipping - & run either the Donaldson or Baldwin (spin-on).

From an engineering stand point: Lubrication & Fuel - the longer the filter is in service the more Efficient it becomes - Only concern is the Flow restriction (DP across the In/Out) to the point of service.
    So the newer filter (Fuel or Oil) is not going to be as efficient as the older filters which are still in service.

Edit: For Those who have installed the DOC's filters - report back with the performance of the filters!
    For those wanting to run the Awesome (Quality) CAT fuel filters - beware of running them on a Aluminum Base - Aluminum on Aluminum does not play well together over a short amount of time. - Major Galling Issue!
    Thank you for this layout of information.

There seems to be an interest lately in the Cat filters in general, whether its filter cost or the labor for dropping the tank to put in an aftermarket lift pump.

Hopefully, others that have recently inquired on threads will see this.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    In today's time - 2-3X higher prices on parts and so many out of stocks due to (What Ever) Excuses!
    I am focused on Saving $$$$ in my own $$$ account (I have to Think of Me/Family First) instead of padding others whom are attempting to sell these (Same) Overpriced parts!
    No Disrespect to the more then handful of Awesome Vendors out there - I know most of their hands are tied to this issue!

I for one have been slowly stock piling - Air Filters / Oil Filters / Fuel Filters - before their prices continue to rise and availability is a bigger issue.
    I actually sold a couple of my stockpiled Lube Finer fuel filters (Sets) to a co-worker - due to local auto parts stores where low on stock and asking ridiculous $$ for what they had in stock and they were not Mopar/Fleetguard.

I did find on Ebay - a couple sellers whom offered the OEM Mopar H2O separator for $34 & $35 ea. (Free Shipping)
    One of the seller's just sent me an offer of $32 if I bought 2 - Yes I bought them!
    Also has the Front (Mopar) filter for $35. (Free Shipping) - probably going to buy a couple a month until I get a few on hand.
    As long as the sellers have them in stock.

@cgunter73 - I have a similar set up - so I don't have to change the Front Engine Mounted pop in filter every 10-15K miles - she is more of a Polisher Filter now.
    So I service it every 25K miles - the back 2 --> work horse filters - I service every 15K miles.

My Luber Finer - jobbers can't even get the fuel filters @ this point - I just installed my last set.

Going forward - Donaldson & Baldwin will be my choices for the rear spin-on & the Mopar (H20 Separator) as long as I can keep getting them for $32-$35.
    Or I could Easily purchase the complete set of PTC filters (H20 Sep & Front Filter) of of ebay ($59) free shipping - & run either the Donaldson or Baldwin (spin-on).

From an engineering stand point: Lubrication & Fuel - the longer the filter is in service the more Efficient it becomes - Only concern is the Flow restriction (DP across the In/Out) to the point of service.
    So the newer filter (Fuel or Oil) is not going to be as efficient as the older filters which are still in service.

Edit: For Those who have installed the DOC's filters - report back with the performance of the filters!
    For those wanting to run the Awesome (Quality) CAT fuel filters - beware of running them on a Aluminum Base - Aluminum on Aluminum does not play well together over a short amount of time. - Major Galling Issue!
    Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    Thank you for this layout of information.

There seems to be an interest lately in the Cat filters in general, whether its filter cost or the labor for dropping the tank to put in an aftermarket lift pump.

Hopefully, others that have recently inquired on threads will see this.
    Very good points.

What is the second aluminum surface that the Cat base comes in contact with to cause galling?

I am the upper end of lower class.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 71Silverbullet View Post
    Very good points.
    What is the second aluminum surface the Cat base comes in contact with to cause galling?
    The second aluminum surface is the aluminum threads on the head that the filter screws into.

The head from “Diesel Fuel Filter Kits” has aluminum threads.

To avoid this issue, you can replace the head with one from Western Diesel.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks Corkey, SyN, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, SyN, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Bob!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

I know this is an old thread but its still relevant, especially with price increases and parts shortages.

I've been using Docs for my front and rear fuel filters for 300k+ changing both every 15k, and haven't had an issue yet.

Docs are a great option!

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, MillsRam thanked for this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123