Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  130
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Filters - Docs Diesel

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Fuel Filters - Docs Diesel

Fuel Filters made in Taiwan (Yes, I still understand Taiwan's sovereignty 'for now, and would happily buy Taiwanese vs. China if given the option and that was my only choice), Cabin, oil, and air filters made by the People's Liberation Army in China, per their website.

I stick with the OEM Fleetguard filters FS20089 for the rear separator and FS53000 for the front filter.

I don't need to add the 3rd filter, and Fleetguard will supply you the microns @ efficiency ratings if asked.

I don't particularly appreciate adding the 3rd filter with the Cat setups etc.

I would instead change the OEM filters at closer intervals than 15k, if anything.

I am probably going down to 5k oil changes and 10k fuel filter changes (every 2nd oil change), especially once the low carb diet is completed front filter is Made in Mexico, I believe (supporting the USMCA), and the rear separator is the US-made if choosing Fleetguard brand.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Anyone else’s used Docs Fuel filter combos.

I see their reviews are getting up there, and I’ve been keeping an eye on them for a year and haven’t seen any negative yet.

I spoke with them yesterday, and he said they do in-house testing on them and are not your run-of-the-mill cheap knock-off Amazon-style fuel filters.

I think I’m going to give them a shot at $70 for the set is a lot better than $180+ and he said these meet and exceed the Mopar filters.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

I use CAT fuel and water separator filters, under $20 a piece.

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

I’m all ears.

Are these being used in the Stock fuel filter locations?

And if so, would you be so kind as to provide part numbers?

Thanks!

I’d much instead use CAT.

Quote Originally Posted by MC250r719 View Post
    I use CAT fuel and water separator filters, under $20 a piece

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MillsRam View Post
    I’m all ears.

Are these being used in the Stock fuel filter locations?

And if so, would you be so kind as to provide part numbers?

Thanks!

I’d much instead use CAT.
    You do need adaptors to use the cat fuel and water separator filters.

I opted to go with Black Market Performance for the adaptors.

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN, walla2k5 thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

So I did a good amount of research on the Doc's. From many other sources they look the same as Mopar. I was doing the research because fuel filter kits were getting harder to find online and some were going as high as $225 on amazon for Mopar, grant it that was fuel filter, water sep., and oil filter. But O'reilly's has the Mopar oil filter for $14.99. I use to get Mopar fuel and water sep. for $110.00. But my online seller took the link down. But it came back up today for $137.

Back to the Doc's from what I have seen they have really good reviews and nearly everyone that has reviewed have positive things to say about them. I agree with some others that I would be more willing to buy Taiwan vs China. The price point is nice. I have considered of giving it a go, then I saw Mopar's were back up on Amazon for $27 more. Wasn't quite comfortable yet to not go with Mopars at that price even if they are more. I probably will go Doc next go around as Mopar's are starting to get too pricey and limited availability.

I will just put it out there too I was looking at the Diesly's on amazon. They have a lifetime injector warranty with some guidelines. Kinda thought that was interesting. As well I've heard they have really good customer service, but that some trucks don't like certain batches of their filters.

Anyways best of luck if you go Doc's, I'll be right there with ya next time going around.

12. Thanks SyN, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

I honestly think a few of those owners with bad experiences with the front (engine mount) filter - didn't get the filter installed quiet correctly (down all the way and seated) and caused the fuel flow issue.

I myself am not running the Mopar/Fleetguard OEM filters in the stock locations - (Just not of a fan of the 200% mark up in $$)
    I'm running Luber-Finer along with a Donaldson Blue BDF5814 (a True 4 micron @ 99% Absolute) spin on filter - No issues nor do I expect any.

I will be honest - I did some research and I think Docs filters are made by PTC (Power Train Components) which you can also purchase on ebay - with same part #. (High Quality Filter) - just Not OEM!

I actually bought a set of the PTC fuel filters from (mcaugie007) off of Ebay! $58 for the set - But they are like 6th in line behind my stock pile of Luber-Finer.

Once I get them installed and flowing - I will report back - I don't expect any issues since the DBF5814 handles most of the filtering load.

Note: Edit 3-8-22
    Thought - Just because YOU run the Expensive (Over Priced OEM Filters) & others don't - Don't make those who Don't --> Wrong!
    Doing Logical Research (On Your Own) & Not being a Follower of the (Famous) Intranet - Word of Mouth! - does have SOME major advantages.

But in that some Breath - Alot of that Word of Mouth - can be very helpful & save a self adapted owner alot of pain & suffering and $$$!
    "Thank You to the IGOTACUMMINS Community as well as the YouTube Community"

God Bless & & Be a Thinker & Question Everything - Don't be a Follower of the Flock!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Just picked up a full set of Doc's filters (air, oil, fuel, fuel).

The price was right.

We'll see what happens with the fuel filters, I still have about 5k miles until I'll change them, but needed the others.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, SyN liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

For its worth, I run the Pure Diesel Power Cat Filter kit which adds a cat filter next to the water separator fuel filter, simply because I was tired of fighting with the engine mounted fuel filter every 15k miles.

As the website says, I doubt i will let it go 2 or 3 years.

I have always been on the fence about not using Fleetguard or Mopar, so considering alternatives.

Gambling on an inferior or unknown quality filter to protect my fuel injectors seems risky.

2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4
    Out of the shop: New Turbo, Exhaust work, Studding and MM3 tuner and tunes

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SKIBBEE4thGEN thanked for this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

In today's time - 2-3X higher prices on parts and so many out of stocks due to (What Ever) Excuses!
    I am focused on Saving $$$$ in my own $$$ account (I have to Think of Me/Family First) instead of padding others whom are attempting to sell these (Same) Overpriced parts!
    No Disrespect to the more then handful of Awesome Vendors out there - I know most of their hands are tied to this issue!

I for one have been slowly stock piling - Air Filters / Oil Filters / Fuel Filters - before their prices continue to rise and availability is a bigger issue.
    I actually sold a couple of my stockpiled Lube Finer fuel filters (Sets) to a co-worker - due to local auto parts stores where low on stock and asking ridiculous $$ for what they had in stock and they were not Mopar/Fleetguard.

I did find on Ebay - a couple sellers whom offered the OEM Mopar H2O separator for $34 & $35 ea. (Free Shipping)
    One of the seller's just sent me an offer of $32 if I bought 2 - Yes I bought them!
    Also has the Front (Mopar) filter for $35. (Free Shipping) - probably going to buy a couple a month until I get a few on hand.
    As long as the sellers have them in stock.

@cgunter73 - I have a similar set up - so I don't have to change the Front Engine Mounted pop in filter every 10-15K miles - she is more of a Polisher Filter now.
    So I service it every 25K miles - the back 2 --> work horse filters - I service every 15K miles.

My Luber Finer - jobbers can't even get the fuel filters @ this point - I just installed my last set.

Going forward - Donaldson & Baldwin will be my choices for the rear spin-on & the Mopar (H20 Separator) as long as I can keep getting them for $32-$35.
    Or I could Easily purchase the complete set of PTC filters (H20 Sep & Front Filter) of of ebay ($59) free shipping - & run either the Donaldson or Baldwin (spin-on).

From an engineering stand point: Lubrication & Fuel - the longer the filter is in service the more Efficient it becomes - Only concern is the Flow restriction (DP across the In/Out) to the point of service.
    So the newer filter (Fuel or Oil) is not going to be as efficient as the older filters which are still in service.

Edit: For Those who have installed the DOC's filters - report back with the performance of the filters!
    For those wanting to run the Awesome (Quality) CAT fuel filters - beware of running them on a Aluminum Base - Aluminum on Aluminum does not play well together over a short amount of time. - Major Galling Issue!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

19. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast