Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  21

Thread: 2008 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7L - Running Rough With NO Codes?

1. Top Of Page | #1

2008 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7L - Running Rough With NO Codes?

Hello, guys; sorry I haven't been on lately.

We sold our house and had to be out in 7 days, and then this happened!

My truck was making like a spark knock sound for 4-5 days, so I ran some fuel injector cleaner thought maybe they were dirty.

Well, I changed the oil too and then drove to work.

When I started it to go home, it started real rough and shook and sputters and blows black smoke nonstop, and when I have the gas pedal pressed, it sometimes surges, and the truck goes a little faster by itself, and I have to tap the pedal for it to stop the acceleration.

I have no codes at all, and I think it's the Fuel Injectors.

I just wanted to get everyone's opinion first before spending the money.

I have to get this fixed ASAP because I need my truck to pull my trailer 1k miles to Florida within seven days. LOL, Yes, I'm Stressed to the Max, LOL.

I'm running Dual Stock CP3's, Airdog II 4G 200gph lift pump with Beans sump, Hamilton 103lb springs with extreme duty pushrods, S366 over S480Billet Turbskies, and EFI Live by Ryan Hardway Performance.

It boggles my mind that there are no Codes on the dashboard, and I hook my code reader up to the OBD2 port and can't pull any codes at all.

To me, it all points to the injectors.

They have never been replaced, so 180k miles, I think, is what's wrong, but maybe one of you has had this happen or had something else be wrong, so please share your wisdom.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2008 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7L - Running Rough With NO Codes?

Any fuel in the oil?

Sounds like injectors, maybe?

What’s your fuel rail pressure showing?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Any fuel in the oil?

Sounds like injectors, maybe?

What’s your fuel rail pressure showing?

I haven't checked the rail pressure, but it should be ok because it's a brand new Airdog lift pump and brand new CP3's.

The only thing I haven't replaced is the fuel injectors.

Three injectors on the OHM meter test at 000.0 and 2 test at 000.2, and the number 1 has a wide range when tested.

Plus, the injectors have never been replaced, and they have 180k miles on them.

I also think my dual CP3's push way too much fuel for the stock injectors.

I need it fixed because I have to move in 7 days, and this truck is what I use to tow my trailer, and I'm pulling my hair out!

If the oil has fuel in i,t what does it look like?

Rainbow color?

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TwinnTibbsDiesel View Post
    I haven't checked the rail pressure, but it should be ok because it's a brand new Airdog lift pump and brand new CP3's.

The only thing I haven't replaced is the fuel injectors.

Three injectors on the OHM meter test at 000.0 and 2 test at 000.2, and the number 1 has a wide range when tested.

Plus, the injectors have never been replaced, and they have 180k miles on them.

I also think my dual CP3's push way too much fuel for the stock injectors.

I need it fixed because I have to move in 7 days, and this truck is what I use to tow my trailer, and I'm pulling my hair out!

If the oil has fuel in i,t what does it look like?

Rainbow color?
    You should be able to smell it.

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Sure does sound like an injector problem.

If you are seeing black smoke at idle, I would plug off one injector at a time and see if the smoke clears up.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Were you able to confirm an injector problem?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Were you able to confirm an injector problem?

Yes, sir, I took them out and tested each one with the Ohm Meter, and 3 tried 000.2 and 2 tested all over the spectrum, and the last one tested 000.0.

I disconnected one at a time and ran the truck each time, and ran rough all the time except when I had the #1 and #6 disconnected.

It still didn't run smooth but ran better when the #1 and #6 were disconnected.

My new 103% over injectors should be here by Tuesday, and I'll have them installed by Wednesday and be on the road to my new home by Thursday.

14. Thanks AK Bob, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Collin42 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TwinnTibbsDiesel View Post
    Yes, sir, I took them out and tested each one with the Ohm Meter, and 3 tried 000.2 and 2 tested all over the spectrum, and the last one tested 000.0.

I disconnected one at a time and ran the truck each time, and ran rough all the time except when I had the #1 and #6 disconnected.

It still didn't run smooth but ran better when the #1 and #6 were disconnected.

My new 103% over injectors should be here by Tuesday, and I'll have them installed by Wednesday and be on the road to my new home by Thursday.
    Sounds good.

What brand did you purchase new or remanufactured injectors from?

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Sounds good.

What brand did you purchase new or remanufactured injectors from?

I bought them from Flux Diesel Injection 103% over with 7yr warranty.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post