Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  17

Thread: RaceME Tuning - What To Watch For On Higher HP Levels

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

RaceME Tuning - What To Watch For On Higher HP Levels

I will try out my new tune, RaceME Ultra (after having my ARP head studs installed).

When I try out the higher HP tunes, what are some of the things to watch out for, (Tranny and engine) to prevent damage, including valve float at higher HP levels?

2016 Dodge Ram 3500,
    Smittybilt M1 bumper, turbo back exhaust, ARP HEAD STUDS, BD Diesel ProTect68 68RFE Gasket Plate Kit and BD deep trans pan, SCREAMER HE300VG Turbo, BD Diesel Exhaust Manifold, Monster-Ram® Intake System 3.5-inch, Banks Air filter, BD Grid heater delete, RaceMe Ultra, tunes supplied by DRD.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: RaceME Tuning - What To Watch For On Higher HP Levels

I will say upfront I don't have the RaceME, but in my experience running the high HP tunes I have, the EGT tends to spike pretty hard and fast when you romp on it.

I have seen 1300+ on my +200 hp setting just getting on it long enough to pass a car or two.

That temp is no means overdoing it for short bursts, but I would not want to maintain it for very long.

I would highly recommend getting set up to monitor your EGT to keep it within reasonable limitations.

2018 Ram 3500 (Aisin) Laramie 4X4 CCSB White/Silver.
    2018 Mustang GT Lightning Blue 6 spd manual.
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Found some info relative to this thread for those interested (from the RaceME Ultra website) =

"First of all, there is no setting that fits all models and years and even for the same models of the same year.

The trucks are different as girls are too.

We recommend the default settings for best mileage and power; most use the 120hp setting pulling heavy trailers without getting any problems with the transmission.

At this stage, you have to use common sense, of course, be careful with your right foot, and don’t drive the truck like a racecar.

The higher stages always make better mileage as long as you don’t use the full potential of the stage.

On all other parameters (Timing, VGT position, Rail pressure, use our default settings).

The default settings are the settings that are preset from us for best economy and reliability.

Avoid full power shifts from 4th to 5th and 6th gear, and you will never have a problem with your tranny.

The tuner comes with a complete transmission tuning

Complete means:
    Raised line pressure in all Fwd. gears AND during the shifts.
    Increased shift firmness for less slip in the clutches.
    Changed shift points at WOT in all gears @ 3000 RPM.
    6th gear unlock and downshift to avoid the massive torque and make the transmission last longer"

2016 Dodge Ram 3500,
    Smittybilt M1 bumper, turbo back exhaust, ARP HEAD STUDS, BD Diesel ProTect68 68RFE Gasket Plate Kit and BD deep trans pan, SCREAMER HE300VG Turbo, BD Diesel Exhaust Manifold, Monster-Ram® Intake System 3.5-inch, Banks Air filter, BD Grid heater delete, RaceMe Ultra, tunes supplied by DRD.

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

A couple of parameters I keep on my RaceME Ultra are the transmission pressure (actual), Injection timing, Fuel rail pressure, trans temp, and EGT.

In my opinion, the most important is your trans pressure and EGT.

Insufficient transmission pressure (typically due to the 68RFE under-engineered valve body) will cause premature failure of internals.

You can watch several videos on YouTube to get more info on this, and I just bought the "68 RFE bulletproof kit" from NextGen Diesel; I should have it installed in a few weeks.

With this upgrade, my temps and pressure should take care of themselves and some help from DRD trans tuning.

I use DRD for all my tunes.

Ray and the guys at his shop are super responsive, and I receive my files via email.

High EGT's are also a significant concern on these engines, primarily due to the poor turbo ratio.

What I mean is pressure in vs. pressure out. Even with a good tune, you still might be looking at around a 2:1 ratio on your turbo, being around 30-35 psi boost vs. 60-70 psi exhaust pressure.

This restriction is the leading cause of high EGT because of the backpressure, which can also lift the head.

Even though a vast amount of research, I could never find a definite number on what temperature is "too high," but the best I could find is short runs in the 1300-1400 range, which I have alarms set 1300 on my truck now so I can defuel as needed. (still on stock turbo)

However, I have ordered a new VGT from Diesel Power Source that is supposed to achieve 1:1 or better (according to their dyno info) and should also have this installed in a few weeks.

Edit: As far as the engine side, I don't watch anything apart from fuel coming in; I've got the head secured with 625's.

The only OPINION I have on the engine would be maintenance, be diligent and follow your factory recommended intervals, and you'll have that truck for a while.

Especially the CCV filter, if you let this go too long, you will have increases in crankcase pressure and blow-by into the turbo, which will cause premature turbo failure.