Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  25

Thread: Oil Level

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Oil Level

Long story short: I've been checking my oil level a decent amount after fixing a bad hose on my oil filter relocation.

I'm a little stumped on this one, though: Checked cold always (sits overnight), sometimes I get oil about halfway up the dipstick, and others I get very clearly full dipstick.

How can I get such a fluctuation?

Can more oil occasionally be stuck somewhere depending on what cycle the engine happens to get shut off in?

I've been keeping an eye on pressure when driving, but it gives me pause when heading out for a big road trip, and it happens to be at the halfway point all of a sudden.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Murph thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Oil Level

Very strange, I have never seen my oil level change like that.

It makes me wonder if perhaps your remote oil filter is higher than the sump and mounted such that it’s draining back now and then.

Just a thought.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Oil Level

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Very strange, I have never seen my oil level change like that.

It makes me wonder if perhaps your remote oil filter is higher than the sump and mounted such that it’s draining back now and then.

Just a thought.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

PacPro filter relocates it down on the frame.

If it was draining, I figured it would at least be the same always?

Not sure.

Some days I'm like, "ah, perfectly full," and others, I'm crawling around like where the hell is this thing leaking now?

Never any spots on the driveway or anything, though.

My other question would be: Is there any way to have good oil pressure and still have a problem?

Or would the truck throw a warning light before it let the level drop to an unsafe level?

I don't want to worry about it while I'm driving; I figure I'm ok if I have good oil pressure (~50psi cruising).

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

From my understanding of the oil pressure gauge, it only reads 5psi to turn on the sensor.

Then, the truck's computer determines oil pressure from RPMs and coolant temp.

Pretty much a virtual dummy gauge.. the only way to get an accurate reading is a mechanical oil gauge.

Check out the diesel camper oil gauge lies on Youtube, but I also have the oil filter relocation, and my level doesn't change.

2018 Ram 2500 Big Horn / 4x4 / CC / 68RFE / 20" Fuel Triton wheels / Toyo RT 37"s / 5" Rough Country Lift / 5" Straight / Studded / CCV Gutted (Reroute) / S&B CAI / Airdog 165 4g II / G&R Sump / Isspro Fuel Pressure gauge (Lift pump) / Isspro Pyrometer / Pacbrake Oil Filter Re-Location / Amp'd Throttle Booster / Raceme Ultra Drd Tunes / Airlift 7500 Bags / B&W Turn Over Ball

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, 6.7 Coal Train thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Oil Level

I think perhaps it could be the anti-drain back valve on the filter may be leaking, sometimes causing the sump to fill with extra oil now and then.

It’s a long shot, but maybe worth trying a new filter.

If this is the problem, you would see low oil pressure at startup until the filter fills up, then all would be back to normal.

Just a guess, but it may be worth investigating.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Compton, 6.7 Coal Train thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Compton View Post
    From my understanding of the oil pressure gauge, it only reads 5psi to turn on the sensor.

Then, the truck's computer determines oil pressure from RPMs and coolant temp.

Pretty much a virtual dummy gauge.

The only way to get an accurate reading is a mechanical oil gauge.

Check out the diesel camper oil gauge lies on Youtube, but I also have the oil filter relocation, and my level doesn't change.
    Interesting video, thanks!

I see that was for the 5.9L 03-07, but thinking the 6.7’s may also be using the same method.

12. Thanks Compton, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    I think perhaps it could be the anti-drain back valve on the filter may be leaking, sometimes causing the sump to fill with extra oil now and then.

It’s a long shot, but maybe worth trying a new filter.

If this is the problem, you would see low oil pressure at startup until the filter fills up, then all would be back to normal.

Just a guess, but it may be worth investigating.

Pressure on startup is always higher than standard operating pressure, but maybe worth a shot.

I hope that oil pressure gauge stuff is BS because that sounds pointless even to have the gauge then.

I'm going to take some pics because everyone probably thinks I'm a little wacky with this one.

I checked it yesterday, and the dipstick was full as could be again.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Well, she made it 2300 miles round trip (half towing), without a check light or issue *knock on wood.*

Not going to worry too much about this oil thing anymore.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post