Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  20

Thread: South Houston Engine Review

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

South Houston Engine Review

Catastrophic engine failures lead me to looking for a company to build me a new motor and to this forum by proxy.

I figured that I would post my experience with my engine builder.

There were/are not many reviews, so I hope this eases the mind of someone who may be on the fence.

After many calls to multiple engine builders across the country, I settled on South Houston Engine to build a motor for my truck.

There were several reasons:

1. Customer Service: I called multiple shops that had the front desk take the call and told me that the owner/manager would call me back to discuss the build. More than half never returned the call. I called back one or two after a couple of days to get blown off. South Houston talked with me about the build. At my request, they provided several recommendations for upgrades based on my requirements. There was no used car salesman type pressure to purchase or upgrade. The support continued as I found my turbo failed due to contamination. I was able to speak with the shop about their recommendations for turbos that would work well with the engine setup.

2. Price: Very reasonable pricing for the work performed. I was very pleased, especially when comparing what was done to the pricing of some Canadian big-box engine manufactures. Shipping from Houston to Oklahoma was not just reasonable, but a steal, in my opinion. It included round-trip shipping, so getting the core back was as easy and scheduling the pickup.

3. Product: The motor came well wrapped and preserved. Installation was as could be expected. It is hard to place specific attributes to the motor vs. the entire set-up as there were other upgrades besides the motor, but as a whole, I am very pleased. I am about 5K miles on the new motor, and I am nothing but smiles.

If someone is considering a new motor for whatever reason, I recommend calling South Houston Engine and speaking to them about the available options.

South Houston Engine
    531 Georgia Ave.
    South Houston, Texas 77587
    (713) 910-1212
    Toll-Free: 1 (800) 477-1833
    southhoustonengine@gmail.com

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: South Houston Engine Review

Thanks for writing this great review.

We are glad to see businesses still out there that care about the customer.

Thanks again,
    igotacummins

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

What upgrades did they do, or what did you have done to the motor?

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Houston HB View Post
    What upgrades did they do, or what did you have done to the motor?
    They call it Performance 2.

O-ringed the head, ARP head studs, main studs, Hamilton stage 4 cam and 103 springs, Forged rods, pistons, and bearings coating.

It can with an oil pump and a gasket kit as well.

I tow heavy and often, so I wanted a little more get up and go and reliability.

7. Top Of Page | #5
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hylomar View Post

O-ringed the head, ARP head studs, main studs, Hamilton stage 4 cam and 103 springs, Forged rods, pistons, and bearings coating.

That’s a hell of a build for towing.

What size turbo are you running with that cam?

I hope they used pistons with steel ring lands if they did use forged pistons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hylomar View Post

Awesome specs and build.

Which head studs did you go with on this build?

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post