Thanks Thanks:  51
Likes Likes:  124
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 RAM 2500 Oil Pressure Sensor

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2018 RAM 2500 Oil Pressure Sensor

Hey, guys need some help here.

Recently I was towing in my 18 RAM 2500 4x4 and lost oil pressure and quickly pulled over and checked everything, and all was good and made it home and parked it.

I checked the sensor the next day, pushing oil through the sensor into the connection.

I also noticed the wire to the connector seemed kind of rubbery, feeling like it was hot. I went and bought another one, and all was good for a few days now it done it again—the same thing.

I looked on Geno's garage and noticed their sensor listed for my truck has a sleeve with a bolt that goes through, and the sensor screws into this. (Like a snubbed valve, maybe?) my truck doesn't have this; it just screws indirectly.

Could this be the problem?

Thanks

2018 Ram 2500 Big Horn / 4x4 / CC / 68RFE / 20" Fuel Triton wheels / Toyo RT 37"s / 5" Rough Country Lift / 5" Straight / Studded / CCV Gutted (Reroute) / S&B CAI / Airdog 165 4g II / G&R Sump / Isspro Fuel Pressure gauge (Lift pump) / Isspro Pyrometer / Pacbrake Oil Filter Re-Location / Amp'd Throttle Booster / Raceme Ultra Drd Tunes / Airlift 7500 Bags / B&W Turn Over Ball

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2018 RAM 2500 Oil Pressure Sensor

The picture appears to be a banjo bolt and fitting with the sole purpose of changing the stock mounting location and angle of the factory sensor.

Oil does penetrate and weaken wire insulation over time.

Once cleaned, the wire still feels softer than the surrounding wire, you should replace this portion of the harness to prevent shorts, and excess heat is generated when there is a connection issue sometimes.

Many sensors, especially oil sensors, will come with a replacement harness stub for this reason, in case it is necessary to replace it.

At least they do at advance or O'Rileys or the like im not sure about the dealers (probably not.)

If there is oil passing through the center of the oil sensor, this generally seeps into the center of the plug and may build up pressure, and if the seal is good or the plug is weak may actually force the plug apart and unplug itself even if the sensor is still reading properly.

A new sensbad sense is uncommon, and someone slipping a used sensor into a box for a refund is more common.

However, if you replaced an oil pressure sensor and are still experiencing oil seepage, the centplug's center replacement sensor is bad and should be replaced.

be careful when installing the sensor not to over tighten the sensor to any extreme or to distort the sensor itself as i suppose it would be possible to break a seal if the body was weak, though admittedly, I have never seen one fail from this, and i would be the one to have tried

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thanks, man.

I'll order the sensor from @Geno's Garage.

As stated before, the current sensor that in there doesn't have the banjo bolt and different angle so hopefully, it will fix my problems.

2018 Ram 2500 Big Horn / 4x4 / CC / 68RFE / 20" Fuel Triton wheels / Toyo RT 37"s / 5" Rough Country Lift / 5" Straight / Studded / CCV Gutted (Reroute) / S&B CAI / Airdog 165 4g II / G&R Sump / Isspro Fuel Pressure gauge (Lift pump) / Isspro Pyrometer / Pacbrake Oil Filter Re-Location / Amp'd Throttle Booster / Raceme Ultra Drd Tunes / Airlift 7500 Bags / B&W Turn Over Ball

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Well, I can't seem to figure this out.

I installed the @Geno's Garage oil pressure sensor, and now it has taken a dump.

So this will be the third sensor that goes out on me.

Idk what's going on.

all of them are blowing oil thru the sensor and causing it not to work

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

After looking around, I think I'm going to try and trick the dash into thinking the sensor is reading and install a mechanical gauge.

I would have an actual reading then.

I know the current oil pressure sensor only has one wire going to it.

If I ground it out, that should make the gauge read, right?

Hopefully, someone will know.

I also need to find the right type of bolt to delete the sensor.

Any ideas?

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Compton View Post
    After looking around, I think I'm going to try and trick the dash into thinking the sensor is reading and install a mechanical gauge.

I would have an actual reading then.

I know the current oil pressure sensor only has one wire going to it.

If I ground it out, that should make the gauge read, right?

Hopefully, someone will know.

I also need to find the right type of bolt to delete the sensor.

Any ideas?
    At this point, I think a mechanical gauge is a good idea.

I can't imagine why the pressure sensors are blowing out unless, for some reason, your oil pressure is exceptionally high.

I wondered if there is a relief valve on our oil pumps, and if so, yours may be stuck.

You will need to measure the threads on the oil sensor and see if your gauge will fit where it went or plug it and then thread your gauge into the 1/8" NPT port on top of the oil filter.

Either way, as you say, you will need to satisfy the pressure sensor wire by grounding it.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    At this point, I think a mechanical gauge is a good idea.

I can't imagine why the pressure sensors are blowing out unless, for some reason, your oil pressure is exceptionally high.

I wondered if there is a relief valve on our oil pumps, and if so, yours may be stuck.

You will need to measure the threads on the oil sensor and see if your gauge will fit where it went or plug it and then thread your gauge into the 1/8" NPT port on top of the oil filter.

Either way, as you say, you will need to satisfy the pressure sensor wire by grounding it.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Well, it seems to have happened when I am pulling extreme weight.

For instance, my trailer weighs 9400 pounds, and if I pull 8000 pounds on top of the trailer weight so 17400 pounds, it's good, but it seems when I get up to 22000 and 23000 pounds, it happens.

Idk if that's the real reason, but I need a permanent fix.

I plan on plugging the stock sensor and using the port on top of the oil filter housing.

Thanks for the reply Bob

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Well, it seems to have happened when I am pulling extreme weight.

For instance, my trailer weighs 9400 pounds, and if I pull 8000 pounds on top of the trailer weight so 17400 pounds, it's good, but it seems when I get up to 22000 and 23000 pounds, it happens.

Idk if that's the real reason, but I need a permanent fix.

I plan on plugging the stock sensor and using the port on top of the oil filter housing.

Thanks for the reply Bob
    Please keep us posted, I am curious how the new mechanical oil pressure gauge reading compares to the stock readings.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Please keep us posted, I am curious how the new mechanical oil pressure gauge reading compares to the stock readings.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Well, I bit the bullet.

I called the dodge house here and ordered another sensor.

One hundred sixty-six dollars, and this is my last attempt; if it fails, I'm going mechanical.[/QUOTE]

I hope this one works for you.

Boy, they sure are proud of their sensors.

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Well, I bit the bullet.

I called the dodge house here and ordered another sensor.

One hundred sixty-six dollars, and this is my last attempt; if it fails, I'm going mechanical.
    I hope this one works for you.

Boy, they sure are proud of their sensors.

19. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Compton, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast