Thanks Thanks:  51
Likes Likes:  124
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018 RAM 2500 Oil Pressure Sensor

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: 2018 RAM 2500 Oil Pressure Sensor

Good work, guys; the oil filter relocation kit may be a factor.

Unfortunately the MM3 does not support a pressure sensor input, just the EGT probe.

From what I have read, the stock oil pressure sensor is simply a switch, on/off for low-pressure warning.

If you have the factory oil pressure gage it uses a calculated value generated by the PCM.

If you want to see the actual oil pressure you could thread a pressure sender or hard line at the 1/8” NPT port on top of the oil filter housing and install a gauge inside the cab.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Compton View Post
    Yes I have Pacbrake.

I think we are on to something.

I never towed with mine with stock oil filter placement so I thought it was something with the truck.

Are you going to go back to stock by chance?

If you do let me know the results
    Not the truck, 110,000 miles on mine pulling 25-32000 lbs every day, run like a champ.

I just had the relocate removed from the truck and am loading up the trailer with a new sensor installed. Will be pulling for 300 miles tonight. I will tell you if I have success or failure.

For those reading this. Here is what I know so far about these sensors.
    - People will say "I race, much harder on a truck than towing" Bullshit, I tow with my foot to the floor for 10 hours a day. Replicate that in a race. Just because it's "race" proven does not mean it is real-world proven to the limits of these trucks
    - The dealers overtightened these sensors every time they were installed. The next installer would complain about how tight it was and then install the next one even tighter. There is a torque spec for these, they do not need to be ripped on there and will fail if overtightened.
    - They have a plastic end that easily damages in a spot that is tough to install as it is. They need to be really careful when installing.
    - A fairly good chance at this point the Pacbrake oil relocation does something that builds pressure at this sensor and causes it to fail in extreme environments. Not sure if other relocates cause the same issue. I won't be finding out either. I think pass-on bypasses if you have a real working truck that is run heavy.

4. Thanks watersupply189, Compton, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrRand5 View Post
    Not the truck, 110,000 miles on mine pulling 25-32000 lbs every day, run like a champ.

I just had the relocate removed from the truck and am loading up the trailer with a new sensor installed. Will be pulling for 300 miles tonight. I will tell you if I have success or failure.

For those reading this. Here is what I know so far about these sensors.
    - People will say "I race, much harder on a truck than towing" Bullshit, I tow with my foot to the floor for 10 hours a day. Replicate that in a race. Just because it's "race" proven does not mean it is real-world proven to the limits of these trucks
    - The dealers overtightened these sensors every time they were installed. The next installer would complain about how tight it was and then install the next one even tighter. There is a torque spec for these, they do not need to be ripped on there and will fail if overtightened.
    - They have a plastic end that easily damages in a spot that is tough to install as it is. They need to be really careful when installing.
    - A fairly good chance at this point the Pacbrake oil relocation does something that builds pressure at this sensor and causes it to fail in extreme environments. Not sure if other relocates cause the same issue. I won't be finding out either. I think pass-on bypasses if you have a real working truck that is run heavy.
    Any update for us?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Any update for us?
    Yup, I made it home.

800 miles through strong winds and storms.

The truck worked hard the entire way.

NO ISSUES after I removed the PAC Brake relocation kit.

After installation, I can confidently say it is a problem with cracked or damaged oil sensors.

8. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Compton View Post
    Yes, I have Pacbrake.

I think we are on to something.

I never towed mine with stock oil filter placement, so I thought it was something with the truck.

Are you going to go back to stock by chance?

If you do, let me know the results.
    Update: I pulled the Pac brake oil relocate kit off.

No further issues.

It is undoubtedly causing failed oil pressure sensors under harsh towing conditions.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrRand5 View Post
    Update: I pulled the Pac brake oil relocate kit off.

No further issues.

It is undoubtedly causing failed oil pressure sensors under harsh towing conditions.
    Thanks for the update, brother.

Will be pulling mine off soon.

Glad you/we found a solution.

2018 Ram 2500 Big Horn / 4x4 / CC / 68RFE / 20" Fuel Triton wheels / Toyo RT 37"s / 5" Rough Country Lift / 5" Straight / Studded / CCV Gutted (Reroute) / S&B CAI / Airdog 165 4g II / G&R Sump / Isspro Fuel Pressure gauge (Lift pump) / Isspro Pyrometer / Pacbrake Oil Filter Re-Location / Amp'd Throttle Booster / Raceme Ultra Drd Tunes / Airlift 7500 Bags / B&W Turn Over Ball

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

I had to bring this back alive.

I have a 2014 2500 Cummins, and I need to have the Pacbrake oil filter relocation kit installed since it has been on the truck; I have lost all oil pressure two times now, according to my low oil pressure light.

I replaced the oil pressure sensor the first time, and it went back to rereading normal oil pressure for a couple of months, and now I am back to zero pressure again.

I plan to remove the kit and put the filter back in its factory location.

It sounds like, per your responses, that it was the filter relocation kit all along, right?

2014 Dodge 2500 CC 4x4 SB Zone 6.5” lift with20” TIS wheels wrapped with 37” tires/AFE cold air intake/ BD Throttle sensitivity booster/ MM3 custom tuned by Ray @ DOUBLERDIESEL/ 4" flo-pro full delete. ARP head studs in the works.

14. Top Of Page | #28

Quote Originally Posted by 14DODGE View Post
    I had to bring this back alive.

I have a 2014 2500 Cummins, and I need to have the Pacbrake oil filter relocation kit installed since it has been on the truck; I have lost all oil pressure two times now, according to my low oil pressure light.

I replaced the oil pressure sensor the first time, and it went back to rereading normal oil pressure for a couple of months, and now I am back to zero pressure again.

I plan to remove the kit and put the filter back in its factory location.

It sounds like, per your responses, that it was the filter relocation kit all along, right?
    I literally just bought this kit a week ago.

I am glad you brought this backup.

I got mine to make life easier after my 2nd Gen swap.

I have yet to put it on, but if it's causing you all issues, please let me know so I can send mine back asap.

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #29

I am waiting on my RMA number for a return of my oil relocation kit.

Definitely going to suck removing possibly my fender liner every oil change and maybe the intake, but then again, I guess it's better than possible sensor failure or adding possible leak points.

I have thought about doing a sinister bypass oil kit, but I am unsure if it's needed.

I also don't want to create possible leaks. But if someone has that kit, let me know.

I will also start a different thread if need be. I wanted to know about this oil filter relocation kit, though.

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  18. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsl0311usmc View Post
    I literally just bought this kit a week ago.

I am glad you brought this backup.

I got mine to make life easier after my 2nd Gen swap.

I have yet to put it on, but if it's causing you all issues, please let me know so I can send mine back asap.
    I will for sure report back.

I just took it off today and have to put it back together tomorrow.

I will let you know.

2014 Dodge 2500 CC 4x4 SB Zone 6.5” lift with20” TIS wheels wrapped with 37” tires/AFE cold air intake/ BD Throttle sensitivity booster/ MM3 custom tuned by Ray @ DOUBLERDIESEL/ 4" flo-pro full delete. ARP head studs in the works.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast