Likes Likes:  62
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S300 or S400?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

S300 or S400?

I’m sorry if this has been a topic.

First-time diesel owner.

Why are people going more towards the S300 instead of the S400?

I built up one of my first cars, and I wanted to have that turbo lag feel. I liked feeling that boost building up.

Knowing that I have room to grow.

Is that not good for a diesel?

I guess I don’t like feeling I’m restricted.

I’m sorry if this is a stupid question. I’m just confused because I want to do a turbo swap, and I don’t know which way to go if you couldn’t tell .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: S300 or S400?

How much hp do you want to make?

The S400 has a larger frame, shaft, etc., and better wheel exhaust housing options IMO.

It comes down to what the trucks are used for and how much you want to spend.

If your looking for a non-VGT on stock fuel and don’t want to spend the money on a Second Gen swap, S300 may be the way to go.

If the goal is high hp, you plan on adding fuel and don’t want to deal with drive pressure issues or premature turbo failure, and the S400 is what you want.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I would say the 300 is the unpopular choice on the 6.7L.

It does seem like the SXE series has muddied the waters a little bit with higher flow and upgraded wheel and thrust bearings.

I'm going to do a 300sxe, but I'm keeping it under 700hp; I want it to be extremely drivable with a faster spool and keep it on stock fuel for a couple of years, then turning it up with some room to grow.

If you do even a little searching around, almost everyone will suggest an S400 (463 or 467.7)

I've gone back and forth a LOT - I started this thread a while ago that may or may not help you out a bit: https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...ght=turbo+talk

@Chrisn162001 knows his stuff and has been a wealth of info for me.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisn162001 View Post
    How much hp do you want to make?

The S400 has a larger frame, shaft, etc., and better wheel exhaust housing options IMO.

It comes down to what the trucks are used for and how much you want to spend.

If your looking for a non-VGT on stock fuel and don’t want to spend the money on a Second Gen swap, S300 may be the way to go.

If the goal is high hp, you plan on adding fuel and don’t want to deal with drive pressure issues or premature turbo failure, and the S400 is what you want.

I can’t put a number on hp; to be honest, I don’t have that discipline.

It just seems that if i went bigger, i would want to keep upgrading.

I guess I don’t like being restricted.

It's mostly daily driven; I don’t tow but put many miles on a vehicle.

I definitely can’t put a price on how much I’m going to spend either.

I’m not a fan of spending money on exterior modifications bought side steps for the wife, and that’s about it for me.

After writing that, though, I think I made a decision.

Going with the S400.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6.7 Coal Train View Post
    I would say the 300 is the unpopular choice on the 6.7L.

It does seem like the SXE series has muddied the waters a little bit with higher flow and upgraded wheel and thrust bearings.

I'm going to do a 300sxe, but I'm keeping it under 700hp; I want it to be extremely drivable with a faster spool and keep it on stock fuel for a couple of years, then turning it up with some room to grow.

If you do even a little searching around, almost everyone will suggest an S400 (463 or 467.7)

I've gone back and forth a LOT - I started this thread a while ago that may or may not help you out a bit: https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...ght=turbo+talk

@Chrisn162001 knows his stuff and has been a wealth of info for me.
    Thank you guys for helping out.

That discussion has helped me, and I know how you feel, LOL.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Collin42 View Post
    I can’t put a number on hp; to be honest, I don’t have that discipline.

It just seems that if i went bigger, i would want to keep upgrading.

I guess I don’t like being restricted.

It's mostly daily driven; I don’t tow but put many miles on a vehicle.

I definitely can’t put a price on how much I’m going to spend either.

I’m not a fan of spending money on exterior modifications bought side steps for the wife, and that’s about it for me.

After writing that, though, I think I made a decision.

Going with the S400.

I think at potential hp goal and how much you want to spend should be somewhat determined right off the bat.

If you go with a somewhat bigger S400, like a 467.7 on a 2nd Gen swap, with plans for fuel, you are honestly looking at spending almost $10k in parts, and that's not including the inevitable transmission build you will need soon after.

If that's good with you, then charge forward by all means! It will be awesome.

The cost of parts can be a real shock for some people that aren't familiar with what it takes to make big power on a diesel compared to a gasser.

I have a buddy that built a 600+hp BMW for well under $7k, and I couldn't believe how cheap injectors were compared to a set of diesel sticks.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I think at potential hp goal and how much you want to spend should be somewhat determined right off the bat.

If you go with a somewhat bigger s400, like a 467.7 on a 2nd gen swap, with plans for fuel, you are honestly looking at spending almost $10k in parts, and that's not including the inevitable transmission build you will need soon after.

If that's good with you, then charge forward by all means! It will be awesome.

The cost of parts can be a real shock for some people that aren't familiar with what it takes to make big power on a diesel compared to a gasser.

I have a buddy that built a 600+hp BMW for well under $7k, and I couldn't believe how cheap injectors were compared to a set of diesel sticks.
    I couldn’t agree more.

If I can’t enjoy the process and problems, I should probably sell it now, LOL.

You never know what curveballs life can throw you.

If something happens and I have to sell it and only get half of what I think it’s worth, then that’s what I got to do to fix a bigger problem.

Why I only commit to things that truly matter.

Why I don’t set a price or hp goal when I have no idea what can happen, if that makes any sense.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I couldn’t agree more.

If I can’t enjoy the process and problems, I should probably sell it now, LOL.

You never know what curveballs life can throw you.

If something happens and I have to sell it and only get half of what I think it’s worth, then that’s what I got to do to fix a bigger problem.

Why I only commit to things that truly matter.

Why I don’t set a price or hp goal when I have no idea what can happen, if that makes any sense.

That's fine if you don't mind spending quite a bit of extra money.

You're going to end up doing a lot of stuff twice though if you go too small, or possibly end up with laggy truck that is miserable to daily drive if you never get around to fuel upgrades on a bigger turbo setup.

As many have said before, no single turbo is going to do it all on a diesel, the RPM range just isn't large enough.

Get compounds if money is no issue you and you want a wide arrange of options going forward.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

That's fine if you don't mind spending quite a bit of extra money.

You're going to end up doing a lot of stuff twice though if you go too small, or possibly end up with laggy truck that is miserable to daily drive if you never get around to fuel upgrades on a bigger turbo setup.

As many have said before, no single turbo is going to do it all on a diesel, the RPM range just isn't large enough.

Get compounds if money is no issue you and you want a wide arrange of options going forward.
    Very true.

Just from the past experience, I liked a bigger single than a twin-turbo setup.

But that was in a car, and one was a manual, the other automatic.

I don’t know diesels but, if this gets me to know more, I’m in.

I just love that feeling of the boost building up.

Who knows, maybe the VGT isn’t going out, but I will be ready when it does now.

Again, thank you for helping me understand these diesels a little more.

18. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Very true.

Just from the past experience I liked a bigger single than a twin turbo setup.

But that was in a car and one was a manual the other automatic.

I don’t know diesels but, if this gets me to know more I’m in.

I just love that feeling of the boost building up.

Who knows maybe the VGT isn’t going out but I will be ready when it does now Again, thank you for helping me understand these diesels a little more.

Well just one note on that, compounds are not twin turbos.

Compounds you could basically think of having a small turbo to build boost at lower RPM and then a much larger turbo to continue to build boost at higher RPM once it can spool and the smaller turbo would run out of steam if left on its own.

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast