Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  41
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EPA Emissions Harmful To The Engine?

1. Top Of Page | #1

EPA Emissions Harmful To The Engine?

The title is a bit leading, but I am coming from an International 6.4L were leaving the emissions intact is a death sentence for the engine.

My question is this; for our 6.7L engines (mine is 2014), does the emissions system cause actual harm to the engine, leading to catastrophic failure, or is it mainly a nuisance and maintenance/money issue?

Obviously, it is robbing power and fuel economy, but will leaving the emissions intact for too long result in a dead engine?

On the International 6.4L, the Regen cycle involves fuel injected during the exhaust stroke into the number 8 (or 8 and 7?) cylinders to be burned up in the DPF during Regen.

I saw that the Cummins 6.7L is also injecting fuel into the cylinders during Regen, which leads me to believe that the same issue that destroys the International would likely destroy the Cummins as well.

I have 83k miles on the clock of my new truck, and I would hate to let the EPA cost me an engine if these are prone to emissions-related death!

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: EPA Emissions Harmful To The Engine?

In due time it can and may cause issues depending on how you run the truck.

Long haul, less likely always leave the exhaust brake on less likely.

Short trips, idling, stop and go, more likely.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

4. Thanks RADDEnterprises thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, RADDEnterprises, Murph liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RADDEnterprises View Post
    The title is a bit leading, but I am coming from an International 6.4L where leaving the emissions intact is a death sentence for the engine.

My question is this; for our 6.7L engines (mine is 2014), does the emissions system cause actual harm to the engine, leading to catastrophic failure, or is it mainly a nuisance and maintenance/money issue?

Obviously, it is robbing power and fuel economy, but will leaving the emissions intact for too long result in a dead engine?

On the International 6.4L, the Regen cycle involves fuel injected during the exhaust stroke into the number 8 (or 8 and 7?) cylinders to be burned up in the DPF during Regen.

I saw that the Cummins 6.7L is also injecting fuel into the cylinders during Regen, which leads me to believe that the same issue that destroys the International would likely destroy the Cummins as well.

I have 83k miles on the clock of my new truck, and I would hate to let the EPA cost me an engine if these are prone to emissions-related death!

Thanks,
    Dave
    I was literally blown away the first time I disassembled the EGR system for cleaning.

No one can logically explain to me how running graphite fine powder nastiness back into your engine can be anything but detrimental to a great power plant!

In my humble opinion, of course!

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Greetings RADDEnterprises,

I have 2016, not 2014, so I'm 100% not familiar with your specific emission system, however...

I'll over-simplify this and say, "drive your stock emissions-compliant truck any way you wish but keep post turbo EGT's between about 750 and 950 degrees Fahrenheit and you'll have very few problems over the life of the truck.

Additionally, forced or 'active' Regen cycles will be near non-existent with the proper EGT's so you will not have to worry about those pesky fuel sucking active Regens.

There are several other issues with the later Gen-4 trucks, but getting into all that here would certainly derail the thread.

Regards & happy truck camping!
    -Jake-

2016 Longhorn 3500, 4x4 shortbed CrewCab, Cummins HO/AISIN, 99.8% stock.
    * Hauling a 2018 Northstar Arrow-U. Scale weight 12,400 Lb.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Murph liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

Quote Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
    Greetings RADDEnterprises,

I have 2016, not 2014, so I'm 100% not familiar with your specific emission system, however...

I'll over-simplify this and say, "drive your stock emissions-compliant truck any way you wish but keep post turbo EGT's between about 750 and 950 degrees Fahrenheit and you'll have very few problems over the life of the truck.

Additionally, forced or 'active' Regen cycles will be near non-existent with the proper EGT's so you will not have to worry about those pesky fuel sucking active Regens.

There are several other issues with the later Gen-4 trucks, but getting into all that here would certainly derail the thread.

Regards & happy truck camping!
    -Jake-
    I appreciate the feedback, and I am confident that 2014 and 2016 are near identical with respect to emissions.

I do not have an EGT gauge as the truck is bone stock, but even so, I cannot imagine it being possible to keep EGT's that low if it is ever used to carry any sort of a load.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Electrojake, Murph, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I appreciate the feedback, and I am confident that 2014 and 2016 are near identical with respect to emissions.

I do not have an EGT gauge as the truck is bone stock, but even so, I cannot imagine it being possible to keep EGT's that low if it is ever used to carry any sort of a load.
    I can only report what my own post turbo temps are so perhaps on other trucks you are 100% correct.

The only time I see anything more than about 950F is when my truck does an active Regen and even then that high reading is post DPF, not post turbo.

Post DPF temps during an active Regen I'll get about 1150F at its maximum.

The clip below is directly from Cummins concerning the EGT's of a 2005 RAM 3500.

"Under full load, most Cummins engines produce exhaust temperatures in the cylinder about 1300 degF or so. In the Dodge Ram application, it is not likely the engine could be run at 'full load' operation in the chassis but if it could, the exhaust EGT ahead of the turbocharger should not exceed the 900 to 1100 degF range.

The pyrometer measures exhaust temperature and the probe is usually mounted about 2 to 6 inches from the turbo outlet (after the turbo) and in that area the exhaust temperature under 'full load' conditions should be in the 700 to 900 degF range.

The pyrometer probe could be installed ahead of the turbo for maximum exhaust temperature out of the cylinders (900 to 1100 degF), however, if the probe ever fails, it goes directly into the turbocharger and will likely cause a catastrophic failure of the turbocharger, plus additional engine damage."

I can only state what data the the five OEM EGT probes are sending to the CAN buss. I typically monitor #1 and #3 .

When #3 is hotter than #1 it's pretty obvious the truck is doing an active Regen, which BTW, is a pretty rare occurrence.

I am not a mechanic (not even a little) so I don't personally know the science behind EGT's on these engines.

Thanks for your input on this stuff. I have a lot to learn.
    -Jake-

12. Thanks RADDEnterprises, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

@Electrojake. I can validate your EGT temps.

When monitoring my stock EGT sensors, they pretty much match yours.

2015 / RAM / 2500 CTD-68RFE-4wd / 3.42 / stock tire size / Silver / Bighorn

14. Thanks Electrojake, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

Quote Originally Posted by z28-50 View Post
    @Electrojake. I can validate your EGT temps.

When monitoring my stock EGT sensors, they pretty much match yours.
    Can you access the EGT temps without an aftermarket gauge?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Nope, I use OBDLink MX+ and their app.

2015 / RAM / 2500 CTD-68RFE-4wd / 3.42 / stock tire size / Silver / Bighorn

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, RADDEnterprises, AK Bob liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Can you access the EGT temps without an aftermarket gauge?
    No.
    To read values off the CAN bus, you will need an OBD device.

I use an Edge CTS-II.

The link is here: https://edgeproducts.com/shop/v/dodg.../6-7l-cummins/

But many other OBD devices can read the bus & reset codes too.

As for my CTS-II... If it's on the 'bus,' the CTS-II can read it.

My unit is 5 years old and has held up well.

It can also log data, read current & stored MIL codes, and reset codes.

It can force a Regen (not that I ever tried it) and be used to set various PID alarms.

I use the CTS-II as a turbo cool-down timer, an over-speed alarm (set to 85 MPH), a low fuel alarm, and to monitor the rare occurrence of an active Regen and the associated EGT's.

If you have specific needs (and it CAN bus related), the people at EDGE will help you over the phone, and they can flash your unit software via an internet connection if necessary.

Happy camping!
    -Jake-

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast