Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  75
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATS Allison Swap For 4th Gen RAM?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

ATS Allison Swap For 4th Gen RAM?

I'm on the list for a kit, but there is limited info on it from people who've actually driven one.

Anyone here with experience?

'13 CCSB 6.7
    DRD tuned MM3, deleted, H&S S364SXE, Steed Speed CNC manifold, 5" exhaust, Banks 3.5" intake manifold, grid heater delete, CAT fuel filters, BW44-47 swap, CAD delete w/ one piece axle, Dynatrac free spin, Detroit rear AAM/PW front e-locker, 4.88 Nitro gears, Carli Pintop 3.25", King 2.5, Carli-Deaver leaf packs, Carli radius arms, Carli steering stabilizers, 1" blocks in rear, bronze 20x10 Fuel Coverts, 38x13.50x20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: ATS Allison Swap For 4th Gen RAM?

Quote Originally Posted by legendaryandrew View Post
    I'm on the list for a kit, but there is limited info on it from people who've actually driven one.

Anyone here with experience?
    Well, I'm kind of in the same boat you are.

I've looked into it really heavily.

The only thing I can find was on the ATS Facebook page where the owner drives one.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

From trucks I’ve seen in person, I’m not an Allison swap fan by any means.

I listened to the podcast with ATS owner Clint Cannon and watched his YouTube video on his new Allison swap.

Once you get past the “Gale Banks” style BS of bashing every product except his own, it’s pretty interesting.

He might be on to something, and Imo past versions of Allison, swaps have been patch jobs at best, and nothing worked right; you lost functions needed a stand-alone computer, etc.

The new kit he made it, so the truck thinks the 68RFE is still in the truck and will read all the parameters of the Allison no different than the 68RFE.

In other words, no functions lost like before, which is pretty impressive, to be honest.

I’ve built quite a few Allison's. I know they are far from bulletproof, just like every other transmission behind a diesel.

I often wonder if they named it Allen instead of Allison if people would still be on the Allison bandwagon.

He says the base model will be good for 600hp and is only available for install at his shop for now.

I’m curious about the price point, and I’m betting at least 12k in parts, though.

I’d like to see one, but IDK if I’d jump on buying this vs. a built 68RFE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I watched the side-by-side comparison of the 68RFE and the Allison, and the Allison looked to be built with far better components.

The 68 looked like a toy next to it...but this was me sitting at my computer watching a video, not hands-on or first-hand experience.

The only experience I have is stock vs. stock, and the Allison at least seems to drive much smoother.

I don't know how they compare built.

When I called ATS, he quoted me 12k ish for the kit with the transmission, built to hold 750hp, with a 500k mile warranty.

Not in writing, but that's what the sales guy on the phone told me.

The kit alone is either 5k or 6k, with no transmission.

An equivalently built 68RFE from RevMax was 8 or 9k, with a much worse warranty (doesn't mean a whole lot, just putting the info out here).

As I've said, I don't have the first-hand experience beyond what my eyes and brain tell me.

They say a built Allison has a lot more potential for longevity than a built 68; based on the components used and at least stock, it drives much smoother than a 68.

My truck is only capable of around 600hp in its current config, but I'm running 38" tires, with plans to go up to 42" when these wear out. It's now geared better than before, but I do tow my camper with it, frequently overpasses.

'13 CCSB 6.7
    DRD tuned MM3, deleted, H&S S364SXE, Steed Speed CNC manifold, 5" exhaust, Banks 3.5" intake manifold, grid heater delete, CAT fuel filters, BW44-47 swap, CAD delete w/ one piece axle, Dynatrac free spin, Detroit rear AAM/PW front e-locker, 4.88 Nitro gears, Carli Pintop 3.25", King 2.5, Carli-Deaver leaf packs, Carli radius arms, Carli steering stabilizers, 1" blocks in rear, bronze 20x10 Fuel Coverts, 38x13.50x20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Ramjam2014 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

I will consider myself an expert at this point on the Allison swap.

I did the CA CONVERSION swap originally and would never recommend them.

They suck at building transmissions, and I had them build 3 Allisons within 5k miles, and every time it failed, they blamed it on something.

The first one they said was because I did a cam swap, 2nd one they had no idea about, and 3rd I am selling before it fails and never put it in.

I had another company look at it, and they didn't add any clutches plates in C3 or do any of the usual upgrades.

Just billet shafts, and I had the Destroked kit in mine, but we couldn't figure out how to get the key to coming out of the ignition because it would think it's not in park.

ATS was willing to help me out and stand behind their product.

I just got mine yesterday and will update everyone when I get it installed, but the idea behind it is way better.

You set it up as an Aisin because they use a separate computer where the 68 runs off the Cummins computer, so it's built into the ECU.

Then they have a TRANSlator that mimics like it has the stock AISIN computer. It IMHO seems like the best way to do it.

Steed Dolan, who helped build it, seemed to know what he was doing when I talked to him.

If anyone has any questions, let me know as I will do my best to answer them since I have been down every route.

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Looking forward to updates from you Tim!

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

TwinTurboTim: I placed the order for my ATS Allison swap today, which is 3-4 weeks out, and I am super excited.

Please give us an update on this and what you think about it.

I purchased the ATS-built Allison with billet input shaft, billet flexplate, upgraded internals, etc.

I can't wait to get it in!!!!!

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

Quote Originally Posted by TwinTurboTim View Post
    I will consider myself an expert at this point on the Allison swap.

I did the CA CONVERSION swap originally and would never recommend them.

They suck at building transmissions, and I had them build 3 Allisons within 5k miles, and every time it failed, they blamed it on something.

The first one they said was because I did a cam swap, 2nd one they had no idea about, and 3rd I am selling before it fails and never put it in.

I had another company look at it, and they didn't add any clutches plates in C3 or do any of the usual upgrades.

Just billet shafts, and I had the Destroked kit in mine, but we couldn't figure out how to get the key to coming out of the ignition because it would think it's not in park.

ATS was willing to help me out and stand behind their product.

I just got mine yesterday and will update everyone when I get it installed, but the idea behind it is way better.

You set it up as an Aisin because they use a separate computer where the 68 runs off the Cummins computer, so it's built into the ECU.

Then they have a TRANSlator that mimics like it has the stock AISIN computer. It IMHO seems like the best way to do it.

Steed Dolan, who helped build it, seemed to know what he was doing when I talked to him.

If anyone has any questions, let me know as I will do my best to answer them since I have been down every route.
    Any update on the trans?

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

The ATS kicks ***.

I didn't have them build my trans, but I redid my compounds, am around 1100hp, and beat the **** out of it, and it's been perfect.

I am using ATS's kit and the tuners file they left unlocked.

I changed a few things on it, but its mostly their tuning.

I am so happy I went with the ATS kit.

Clint kicks ***, and so does that company!

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, jwolfe thanked for this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TwinTurboTim View Post
    The ATS kicks ***.

I didn't have them build my trans, but I redid my compounds, am around 1100hp, and beat the **** out of it, and it's been perfect.

I am using ATS's kit and the tuners file they left unlocked.

I changed a few things on it, but its mostly their tuning.

I am so happy I went with the ATS kit.

Clint kicks ***, and so does that company!
    I've been researching this or a built 68RFE.

It sounds like this is the way to go.

I just want something that will hold a little more power than stock and not give my any grief as I will be working my truck hard.

19. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast