Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  25

Thread: Front Driveshaft Questions

1. Top Of Page | #1

Front Driveshaft Questions

Ok, so to start this out, I've got a '13 Ram 2500 G56 Truck.

I bought the truck with 199k on the clock.

One thing that came to mind was pulling the front driveshaft to grease the double Cardan joint for preventative maintenance.

After pulling the D/S and greasing it, I noticed the double Cardan was kind of sloppy and flopped around really easily.

At this point, I figured it would be smart to take it to get rebuilt for peace of mind as not to destroy the cab, trans, etc., if this thing decided to explode on me while on the highway.

Trucks a '13 2500 so not Center axle disconnect (Front driveshaft always turns even in 2wd)

So I get the shaft rebuilt for like 150 bucks. Pick it up, happy, and all is good.

I got it home, and after looking at it deeper, it seemed they hadn't replaced/rebuilt anything other than the U-joints themselves.

This got me worrying and wondering if I wasted my time with this (very reputable) local shop.

Should I worry?

I haven't felt comfortable enough to even install this D/S back into the truck.

Now it has been sitting in my garage collecting dust/surface rust on the new joints.

Also, side note, I noticed a couple of the clips on the U-joints aren't flush.

Advice is highly appreciated.

I'm to the point of either A.) Bringing it back to the shop. (trust issues at this point) or B.) Purchasing a fresh driveshaft from someone reputable.

2013 RAM 2500 G56 4X4 CCSB - Stainless Diesel S467.7/83/1.0 2nd Gen Swap, Carli Balljoints, SBDD 3250 Clutch, FASS Ti 165

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Front Driveshaft Questions

It sound like the previous owner never greased it?

If you are not confident with the U-joint replacement, then take it back to them and show them your concerns.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, JakeFromStateFarm thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

So I believe it was kept up (greased every oil change or every other).

I am thinking taking it back might be my best bet for the time being.

It shouldn't cost me anything to bring it back and explain.

I might end up there tomorrow morning and feel them out and handle it from there.

2013 RAM 2500 G56 4X4 CCSB - Stainless Diesel S467.7/83/1.0 2nd Gen Swap, Carli Balljoints, SBDD 3250 Clutch, FASS Ti 165

6. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Keep us updated friend.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

With that many miles, replace it.

When the joint comes apart, the trucks pretty much totaled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Here’s what I went with when I started worrying about the front driveshaft on my truck.

Front driveshaft upgrade: https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...eshaft-upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

11. Top Of Page | #7

Well, guys, quick update.

As you all know, life happens.

Hahaha, so here I am a few months later, still driving around in 2WD mode. (front driveshaft removed) I have decided to bite the bullet and go with a brand new front driveshaft.

Mainly because I am the worrying type, and due to the amount of miles I put on the truck, I'll feel much better this way.

Being in the military and having family all around the country, me and the wife love to road trip and of course, I always enjoy taking the truck.

It's comfortable for us, and I feel confident in the truck, even thousands of miles from home, that it'll do its job.

So, here is my update.

Now I am torn between going the route Inlinesix.7 went or going through Tom Woods Driveshaft.

Either way, going to have something on the way shortly!

12. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post