Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Built 68RFE Problems

1. Top Of Page | #1

Built 68RFE Problems

I recently posted about some problems with my new transmission thinking it was just a relearn problem.

Well, 2 days ago, I got a CEL that was 2nd gear ratio error and P0944 which is hydraulic pressure loss of prime.

I cleared the codes and called the Randy's the next day.

They had me go through and check the filters to make sure they were seated correctly and that there isn't a double seal.

I checked them, and everything looked fine.

I filled it back up, and at that point, no codes had been rethrown.

Today I got the P0944, P0970 OD Hydraulic Pressure Test, and P0971 which is pressure test rationality.

When these codes popped, I was driving home, and the truck would only shift into 1st and 4th all the way home.

I got home restarted the truck, and everything was fine.

I cleared the codes and called Randy's.

They aren't sure what's going on and told me to let them know if it happened again.

It happened again about 2 hours ago at the time of posting this. I will give them a call tomorrow.

Does anyone have any idea of what's going on with this thing?

2014 2500 Laramie w/ BDS 4in 4link lift,
    467.7 FMW 2nd gen swap, 103# valve springs, extreme duty pushrods
    and Randy's stage 2 extreme transmission.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Built 68RFE Problems

Fuse relays, the air in the compartments?

Run through the gears manually?

I'd start at the beginning to make sure what this company does is exactly what was done with yours.

The second is to make sure what you have done: there isn’t something different on your part.

Is there a plug for the sensor that isn’t latched properly?

Or maybe a short (was something partially cut) if not electrical, then prob mechanical.

Here is some direction to get started: This code means that either the switch is not responding or the switch is activated when it’s not supposed to be on.

A few different things can cause these codes: hydraulic leaks in the valve body or case, the switch in the solenoid pack, the connectors, pins in the connectors, shorted wires, or even a failed computer.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

A post I found:

"How many miles on your truck?

If 90K+, you likely have a worn solenoid switch valve (SSV) bore in the main valve body.

This is fairly common at high mileage and allows fluid to leak into (or out of) the OD clutch circuit.

The first sign is usually this fault code.

The fix would be to replace the entire VB assy (not just the solenoid) with a new Mopar valve body.

The part number is RL033980AC, and the list price is $463.

The new service VBs are all anodized to resist this wear.

The Mopar part number is a "reman" number (so they can get your old VB back for core), but the parts are actually brand new assembly, not reman.

Other things can cause the P0871 fault (like a bad wiring connection), but I'd recommend replacing the VB assy if you're at high mileage.

That is likely the problem."

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Well, it could be the solenoid pack, or it could be the limit valve, or it could be the 2 springs caught into each other in the pump.

I'd start there.

If it's a rebuilt tranny then bring it back to the guys that did the work and mention those 3 things.

JMO

diggerdave's rig...name bluedemon 2 2008 6.7 cummins

-bilstein 5100's all 5 shocks-fully deleted-greg weld ballistic rims w/35" nitto trail grappler shoes-7" canon stacks miters-H&S tuned -afe cai-iron cross front and rear bumper-buncha bd diesel parts

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post