Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: Trailer Plug Issue

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Trailer Plug Issue

So the last couple of times I've used my 3-month-old 7x16 utility trailer, I have had to monkey with the trailer plug a little to get the left signal working (brake & turn).

My parents used it for about a month or two to haul around their RZR with their Dirty Max, and my stepdad said he never had the same issue (joked must be a dodge thing).

The previous owner must have lived on a dirt road or worked on a farm because the area inside the plug seems to be a bit dusty.

So before I start ripping things apart, any ideas on what to blow in there to help clean it out?

None of the prongs look discolored, and none are bent or loose.

I want to try something simple before I start going all electrician on it.

When I mess with it, I typically unplug the trailer pigtail, blow into it, and then blow into the truck female end like a Nintendo game cartridge.

Doing that once or twice typically gets it working all over again.

However, it will stop working.

Our last trip with it worked when I left my house.

After a day of riding, I noticed it stopped working again when I was backing into our driveway.

Should compressed air work?

Carb cleaner?

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Trailer Plug Issue

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJo View Post
    So the last couple of times I've used my 3-month-old 7x16 utility trailer, I have had to monkey with the trailer plug a little to get the left signal working (brake & turn).

My parents used it for about a month or two to haul around their RZR with their Dirty Max, and my stepdad said he never had the same issue (joked must be a dodge thing).

The previous owner must have lived on a dirt road or worked on a farm because the area inside the plug seems to be a bit dusty.

So before I start ripping things apart, any ideas on what to blow in there to help clean it out?

When I mess with it, I typically unplug the trailer pigtail, blow into it, and then blow into the truck female end like a Nintendo game cartridge.

After a day of riding, I noticed it stopped working again when I was backing into our driveway.

Carb cleaner?
    The Air compressor should work.

It sounds like a prong is intermittent making contact.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I'm thinking about disconnecting the batteries, using some contact cleaner, and then hitting it with compressed air.

It might end up popping out the female end out of the bumper and checking the wires if cleaning doesn't work.

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJo View Post

Carb cleaner?
    Agree; it sounds like it’s a dirty or damaged connection issue.

I would clean both the male and female ends by blowing out with low-pressure air (30psi) then spray with some good electrical contact cleaner. Inspect for any damaged, bent, or loose contacts, especially on the left turn signal (#6), then apply some dialectic grease to both.

RAM Trailer Plug.pdf

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

If I recall, that whole plug assembly plugs into the truck harness behind the bumper and is replaceable if worst comes to worst.

It could also be where that plugs into the main harness that is loose or corroded.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GFU250C...69X7HDV0P4PCEG

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post