Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  50
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hissing Sound At The Steering Column

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Hissing Sound At The Steering Column

Hopefully, someone can help. I have 2014 2500 at 60,000 miles.

I started hearing a hissing sound when I’m in the cab, and it’s coming from the steering area.

When I push the brake, it goes away for a second and comes back.

Also, when you steer, it goes away for a second.

I read on other forums that there is a tube inside the high-pressure hose from the steering pump to the booster, and it can migrate its way into the booster and make a sound.

I checked the hose and did not see the tube inside coming out, so I don’t think that’s it.

My brakes and my steering seem fine, and my steering reservoir is full.

Any thoughts?

2014 2500 on Fuel rims, custom aluminum grill emblem, mm3 DRD tuned, 4” jamo tbe exhaust, led fog lights, steering box brace, took Vinyl off doors.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Hissing Sound At The Steering Column

Quote Originally Posted by Abgunnar View Post
    Hopefully, someone can help. I have 2014 2500 at 60,000 miles.

I started hearing a hissing sound when I’m in the cab, and it’s coming from the steering area.

When I push the brake, it goes away for a second and comes back.

Also, when you steer, it goes away for a second.

I read on other forums that there is a tube inside the high-pressure hose from the steering pump to the booster, and it can migrate its way into the booster and make a sound.

I checked the hose and did not see the tube inside coming out, so I don’t think that’s it.

My brakes and my steering seem fine, and my steering reservoir is full.

Any thoughts?
    My 2011 was doing the same thing; in my case, it was the tube inside the hose.

I just removed the tube and reconnected the hose, and it's been fine since then.

I can't think of anything else that would cause that unless the tube is cracked and the fluid is leaking around it and causing the noise.

You might be able to take some needle-nose pliers and pull the tube out and see if it goes away.

Or maybe try replacing the hose.

Here's a link to a good video where the tube has come loose.

2011 Ram 3500 SLT, 6.7 Cummins. 4.10 gears 68RFE Transmission. RaceMe Ultra with Warp Tuning by DRD, DDP Hooligan turbo, GDP Air Boss grid delete, S-2 Intake manifold and Mega-Flow TVM Grid Heater. 4 inch superlift lift kit with Bilstein shocks, dual steering stabilizer. 35x12.5x20 Toyo AT3s on black KMC XD795 wheels. Fender flares, N-Fab 6 step nerf bars.
    Honestly it's just a tow rig...

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thanks, there is probably a good 6” of metal tube that bends up and then horizontal, and then there is the connection that then goes to the booster.

I’ll take a picture of it.

2014 2500 on Fuel rims, custom aluminum grill emblem, mm3 DRD tuned, 4” jamo tbe exhaust, led fog lights, steering box brace, took Vinyl off doors.

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, SyN, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Here is a pic I took of the lines:

I don’t know why it’s sideways.

Here is a pic of the line going up, and we’re that silver part is where it goes to metal, and the connection is up top in the first picture.

7. Thanks Compton, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Huh, definitely a different design than my truck, so I wonder if there is no Teflon liner in that design.

Hate to say it, but a dealership might have some ideas unless there's a good nondealership shop in your area.

2011 Ram 3500 SLT, 6.7 Cummins. 4.10 gears 68RFE Transmission. RaceMe Ultra with Warp Tuning by DRD, DDP Hooligan turbo, GDP Air Boss grid delete, S-2 Intake manifold and Mega-Flow TVM Grid Heater. 4 inch superlift lift kit with Bilstein shocks, dual steering stabilizer. 35x12.5x20 Toyo AT3s on black KMC XD795 wheels. Fender flares, N-Fab 6 step nerf bars.
    Honestly it's just a tow rig...

9. Thanks Compton, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

So I drove the truck today, and the steering feels tighter than it used to be.

I don’t know if it’s from putting bushings in the steering joint under the dash or from this hissing.

The hissing started the first time I drove it after doing the bushings.

It almost seems like the steering is so tight it almost doesn’t want to come back to center very fast.

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

So I stopped at the dealer tonight, and the service manager sat in the truck, and he said the sound isn’t that bad yet.

He said he’s heard worse.

He said most likely it’s the hydro-boost.

I’m going to order a new high-pressure hose and flush the fluid and Cross my fingers that it fixes it.

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Abgunnar View Post
    So I drove the truck today, and the steering feels tighter than it used to be.

I don’t know if it’s from putting bushings in the steering joint under the dash or from this hissing.

The hissing started the first time I drove it after doing the bushings.

It almost seems like the steering is so tight it almost doesn’t want to come back to center very fast.
    It makes me wonder if perhaps the intermediate steering U joint under the dash may be binding?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Abgunnar thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    It Makes me wonder if perhaps the intermediate steering U joint under the dash may be binding?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That’s where I put the bushings, and it definitely tightened up the steering; it went from maybe 3” of play both ways to maybe 1in both ways.

Nothing looks like it’s binding, but I may double-check it when I get home from work.

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

So I checked for binding, and it seems ok.

Today I changed the high-pressure line from the pump to the booster; what a pain in the ***.

The pump is so close to the gearbox you can’t get a socket on the banjo bolt, and you can barely get a wrench in there, and the damn thing was so tight.

Anyway, I changed the line and refilled the container, and put the front on jack stands.

I had my wife with the truck off, turn left and right, and hit the brake; just a note don’t fill past the max line and leave the cap off and turn the wheel to get the air out; it will push fluid out the top and make a mess.

I got the air out with the truck running and moved it to clean it up, and the hiss is still there, just not as loud.

I don’t know what to do now.

19. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast