Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  50
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hissing Sound At The Steering Column

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Hissing Sound At The Steering Column

So update, first off, my wife is the best and got me a topside creeper for Father’s Day, just in time for me to change the hydro booster.

I found that it was leaking at the firewall inside the cab.

It wasn’t too bad to change.

After changing it, I bled the system, and the hissing sound is still there, and the steering is still stiff.

I also polled the steering shaft from the steering box, and there is definitely no binding.

I’m not sure what to do now.

My brakes feel ok I think it might be the steering box, the only other thing would be the pump, but I would think the breaks wouldn’t feel right if it was the pump.

I will call tomorrow and see if my extended warranty is still good; I hope it is.

I only have 2 weeks to figure this out before we go to Virginia camping.

2014 2500 on Fuel rims, custom aluminum grill emblem, mm3 DRD tuned, 4” jamo tbe exhaust, led fog lights, steering box brace, took Vinyl off doors.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Abgunnar View Post
    So update, first off, my wife is the best and got me a topside creeper for Father’s Day, just in time for me to change the hydro booster.

I found that it was leaking at the firewall inside the cab.

It wasn’t too bad to change.

After changing it, I bled the system, and the hissing sound is still there, and the steering is still stiff.

I also polled the steering shaft from the steering box, and there is definitely no binding.

I’m not sure what to do now.

My brakes feel ok I think it might be the steering box, the only other thing would be the pump, but I would think the breaks wouldn’t feel right if it was the pump.

I will call tomorrow and see if my extended warranty is still good; I hope it is.

I only have 2 weeks to figure this out before we go to Virginia camping.
    Congratulations on the topside creeper, they sure do make things easier.

Good luck with the extended warranty, please keep us posted.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

It's the hoses connected to your hydro booster.

One has come apart, and the plastic sleeve inside runs up into your hydro booster, creating that hissing sound.

I had this same problem.

'08 | G56 | Carli 3" | Carli Axle Truss | BDS Adjustable Traction Bars | BDS Steering Brace | Red-head Gearbox | Synergy HD Steering | Banks Cold Air Intake | Banks Intake Manifold | Steedspeed Exhaust Manifold | Grid Heater Delete | Fleece Cheetah Turbo | Fleece Fuel Filter Delete | Fass 165gph System | Fass Fuel Heater Disc | Fass Fuel Sump | EFI Live | Fuel Revolver Wheels | 35" BFG All-Terrains

6. Thanks Abgunnar, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

So I think I figured out the hard steering.

I moved each knuckle by itself; they were free.

I did find that the passenger side tie rod end was stiff and a little notched.

So I replaced the whole tie rod.

It’s weird to even on the new one, the passenger side joint only goes left to right, not in a complete circle like a normal joint.

The steering definitely feels better, but I still have that hissing.

I think I might still have air in the system somehow.

On the other note, I noticed while towing, when the truck would downshift at a light, you would hear a whining noise that would change pitch right after a shift, and when you would get to a stop, it would go away.

I don’t know if it’s coming from the trans.

2014 2500 on Fuel rims, custom aluminum grill emblem, mm3 DRD tuned, 4” jamo tbe exhaust, led fog lights, steering box brace, took Vinyl off doors.

8. Thanks Power247, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12